Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

[Spoiler - UH] utube snippet

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [Spoiler - UH] utube snippet
Post by cthia   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Entire video snippet of UH transcribed here for our convenience.

I attempted a chart, with benefit of saber964's invaluable assistance, with everyone concerned on it as far as telempathic sense and its perceived strength. The plot hadn't completely settled yet, because I'm trying to determine exactly where to place Raoul and Honor.

tlb wrote:
TangoLima wrote:about Faith and James

My point is that they were closely interacted with 'cats early on. They have very similar genes to Honor.
I guess I am worried that they will fade into the background or be redshirted. They are characters with much potential. I'd like to see more of them and the family/social side of the story/saga.

I had to reread bits of At All Costs to get things straight: the baby that can sense and respond is Raoul (Honor's son) and not Faith or James. It becomes clearest at the end of the book while reading the story about the Phoenix.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Brigade XO   » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:00 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Go back and read "Beauty and the Beast" about how Honor's parents met.
You could label what Alfred Harrington displays, at least in relation to Allison, as a "psychic" talent but it is not what Treecats have amoung themselves of what goes on in the normal Treecat-Human bond. He knows she is in trouble, he also has a fair idea of where she is but they don't read each other's minds.
It felt odd, reading that part of the story, introducing this semi-forshadowing paranormal talent with Alfred when it clearly doesn't show up anywhere elce in the series. We know he's a Harrington- direct line Harrington and his daughter will be Honore, but he doesn't show the aptitude or capacity to bond with a Treecat. It also later clearly doesn't bother him that he doesn't have it though eventualy his daughter has it. Plot device, backstory (Marine who saw too much and changed track to become a Dr.) and putting the pieces in-place for the linkage on so many levels with Beowulf.
Post by Hans   » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:25 am

Hans
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Hello,

what shall i say?
Thanks to @cthia - incredible thing for us who
- don't hear that well
- and/or are not native English speakers
Post by n7axw   » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:50 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Go back and read "Beauty and the Beast" about how Honor's parents met.
You could label what Alfred Harrington displays, at least in relation to Allison, as a "psychic" talent but it is not what Treecats have amoung themselves of what goes on in the normal Treecat-Human bond. He knows she is in trouble, he also has a fair idea of where she is but they don't read each other's minds.
It felt odd, reading that part of the story, introducing this semi-forshadowing paranormal talent with Alfred when it clearly doesn't show up anywhere elce in the series. We know he's a Harrington- direct line Harrington and his daughter will be Honore, but he doesn't show the aptitude or capacity to bond with a Treecat. It also later clearly doesn't bother him that he doesn't have it though eventualy his daughter has it. Plot device, backstory (Marine who saw too much and changed track to become a Dr.) and putting the pieces in-place for the linkage on so many levels with Beowulf.

According to Nimitz, Alfred's "bonding slot" has been taken by Allison. Given the way it's put it sounds very much like a human-tree cat bonding. Certainly the outward manifestation is very similar to a normal bonding.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:54 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Sharidann wrote:Harahap has more lives than a cat and an extraordinary share of luck...
1) he survives the assassination attempt,
2) he dodges the bullet with the killer nanites, thanks to the Green Pines strike (the Detweilers assume that he got them, as it is SOP and he visited the medical center, they didn't realize he was rushed to a hotspot before his killer nanites were ready for him...)
3) being adopted by a treecat means with 100%-certainty that he avoids the death penalty, as it would also condemn his treecat to death or undue duress at the very least. Plus being adopted is kinda saying he is not an absolute bad guy as there doesn't seem to be something like an evil treecat...
And yes, a big game changer, as it means his assertions can be even more trusted....

Oh boy!!!

Did I say... EARC????
Pardon my bold to call attention.

You just had to go and spoil my peaceful nights sleeping didn't you? FYI, there are evil treecats. I know, surprises the treecat stuffin outta me too.

Running with that and considering Clean Killer's name, I can't be 100 % certain that Clean Killer isn't a bit evil. I don't think he is, but he took the full on emotional brunt of what happened to his older sister, Silver Claw, "who had made it into the Black Rock clan. She had also died with her mate, her kittens and her entire new clan family when the fire fell from the heavens. Clean Killer had been near the boundary between Black Rock's range and Mossy Tree Climb's. Indeed, he had been mind speaking with her when it happened. And he would never forget that day. Never forget her scream of terror, brief as the time between two breaths, before that beloved mind voice vanished into cold eternal silence. Cut away from him forever, with the sharpness of one of the singing blades the two-leg hunters and scouts used."

Clean Killer's rage runs deep. The Yawata Strike memory song has to torture his poor soul relentlessly, each and every time he hears it. It is enough to spark a seed of evil. Albeit, it'd be a bit ironic, since Harahap himself mused about Clean Killer's name.

Treecats' memories aren't emotionally diluted as humans' are. It is as real for them as the maiden voyage. It is why the memory song of that event is sugar coated. It is just too emotionally charged.

On that last note, the video snippet implied that baby cats are spared certain memory songs. I wonder how that works. How can they not hear them? And at what age are they considered old enough to cope?

Tickles me pink to think they may have to carry some form of an ID to request memory songs. LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:
Brigade XO wrote:Go back and read "Beauty and the Beast" about how Honor's parents met.

According to Nimitz, Alfred's "bonding slot" has been taken by Allison. Given the way it's put it sounds very much like a human-tree cat bonding. Certainly the outward manifestation is very similar to a normal bonding.

Don

-

IOW, when Alfred is away, he ain't got time for no cat because his mind is on one at home. When he is at home, he ain't got time for no cat, lest it is the human variety. LOL

Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:37 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Interesting post Brigade XO. The groundwork has certainly been laid between Alfred and Allison in that regard for the author to exploit some time in the future. I always imagine it will manifest itself when Allison is the result of foul play, kidnapped or something. And the psychic link between them spells doom for the suspects.

Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:50 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:IOW, when Alfred is away, he ain't got time for no cat because his mind is on one at home. When he is at home, he ain't got time for no cat, lest it is the human variety. LOL

So you're saying Alfred doesn't need a treecat because he already has an Ali (alley) cat? :mrgreen:
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:28 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:IOW, when Alfred is away, he ain't got time for no cat because his mind is on one at home. When he is at home, he ain't got time for no cat, lest it is the human variety. LOL

So you're saying Alfred doesn't need a treecat because he already has an Ali (alley) cat? :mrgreen:

Wow, what a stretch!

Let's face it, we're beating a dead treecat.
Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:54 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

Well done Harold, you just served up a side of splitter. :lol:

To be sure, she's not just some alley cat, but a Beowulfan alley cat masking her secret identity dressed as a Sphinxian. I imagine she pounces on Alfred each and every time he arrives home. Poor Honor, growing up with the savage raw animalistic sounds emanating from her mother's boudoir. No wonder she wasn't afraid to go out in the dark of hexapuma wilderness. She had a far more aggressive cat-like mother at home.

In fact, you can best believe Ally has the low-down dirty truth about the Green Pines incident because she has her own brand of interrogation techniques.

"So. I hear you were a very bad boy while you were away this time Alfred dear. What's this I hear about Green Pines? I'll get the truth out of you yet honey. My whip has always proved to be even more effective than Wonder Woman's."

Return to Honorverse