Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 63 guests

[Spoiler - UH] utube snippet

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [Spoiler - UH] utube snippet
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

There are a few interesting things about that passage.

1. Detweiler is considering crossing his and Bardasano's line.
Why not? They are both psychopathic.

2. Bardasano has a bit of sexual deviance. I don't want to guess what that entails, but it conjures up images of Klingon love in my head.

3. Her insouciance towards him? Don't fall asleep Detty.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:snip

Why not compromise and get together on a campaign for more snippets?

I've got a better idea. Let's get together in supplying the full transcript to this video snippet which is a very big 40 minute snippet. That would hold us for awhile and also help many other posters.

There is a wealth of information, treecat personalities and traits added to our textev pool that is very interesting near the end, which leads up to Harahap's bonding that isn't fleshed out. Not to mention all of the stuff in-between that and the 12 min transcript I supplied.

How can the author be motivated to supply us with more when we fail him in that which he has?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:36 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:There are a few interesting things about that passage.

2. Bardasano has a bit of sexual deviance. I don't want to guess what that entails, but it conjures up images of Klingon love in my head.

I don't think Detweiler and clones are truly psychopaths. They actually believe what they are doing is right. And they function very well.

I doubt he has to worry about Bardasano. She is dead.

Having clones means that even after death you have influence.

The real problem is that many fanatics really believe that what they want is good. The Dets are certain that their way will improve things.
Post by tlb   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:21 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

I agree with the previous poster that they are NOT psychopaths; you are putting that on them because of the odious goals they are pursuing.

In saying that Bardasano has sexual deviance, you are making the error that your niece warned against: we do NOT know about her behavior, only the tendencies of her genome.

Note that Detty finds her insouciance charming, because it manifests itself in her stating reasons for any disagreement; instead of being a yes woman. Her intelligence and fearlessness are the reasons that the genome was only fixed, instead of being cut back.
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:01 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:

I agree with the previous poster that they are NOT psychopaths; you are putting that on them because of the odious goals they are pursuing.

In saying that Bardasano has sexual deviance, you are making the error that your niece warned against: we do NOT know about her behavior, only the tendencies of her genome.

Note that Detty finds her insouciance charming, because it manifests itself in her stating reasons for any disagreement; instead of being a yes woman. Her intelligence and fearlessness are the reasons that the genome was only fixed, instead of being cut back.

NO.

My characterization of them has absolutely nothing to do with their odious goals. Well, perhaps a little, because I agree that their goals are indeed, odious. As are the goals of all megalomaniacal raving Hitler-like lunatics.

Besides that...

They are as psychopathic as was Hitler. It is the same "Master Race" chase all over again. At one point in the forum you could count on one hand those who did not consider the Detweilers psychopathic. Lately you've all become a bit uppity. LOL

Culling babies? Culling entire gene pools? How many think that the culling is accomplished humanely?

Really?

Swampland!

The entire cabal is named the Malign for a reason. Many have become desensitized to the definition of the word, thus take the meaning of it entirely for granted.

The fact that they can so easily think that their way of thinking is alright, JUST LIKE HITLER, in the midst of pure psychopathy, highlights and defines the psychopathy.

Psychopathic, Hitler-like regimes share at least one common ground. They alienate people with their emotionless disconnection with reality. Producing Simoes and other like traitors.

Step outside of the novels for a moment and then tell me that if they were lingering around in your galaxy and on your planet that you wouldn't think they are psychopathic lunatics. NO! Don't tell me that, because it would frighten me.

ma·lign
[məˈlīn]

ADJECTIVE
evil in nature or effect; malevolent:
"she had a strong and malign influence"
synonyms: harmful · evil · bad · baleful · hostile · inimical ·

VERB
speak about (someone) in a spitefully critical manner:
"don't you dare malign her in my presence"
synonyms: defame · slander · libel

Malign, malignant... isn't a term of endearment chosen by the author himself.

What is the difference between the many atrocities that Hitler committed for his "wholesome" goals of the pursuit of a better mankind than the MAlign?

The difference is that one was nonfiction and in your own backyard, so you had no problem labeling it correctly.

Also, you should read my niece's thoughts again. Or not.

Last edited by cthia on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:24 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

It is the very methods of their madness that most highlights the sadness of their psychopathy.

Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:05 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:

I don't think Detweiler and clones are truly psychopaths. They actually believe what they are doing is right. And they function very well.

I doubt he has to worry about Bardasano. She is dead.

Having clones means that even after death you have influence.

The real problem is that many fanatics really believe that what they want is good. The Dets are certain that their way will improve things.

Hitler also thought that he was right. That didn't make him so.

Nazi is what happens when you base your theories on incorrect axioms. When you build your house on shoddy brick - it becomes a crumbling foundation. The Nazi regime was built on shoddy brick. His goals were also odious. But to hell with his goals, no one got that far to pick them apart. It was the road that housed the methods which were to achieve the goals that were the problem -- the systematic extermination of 11 million Jews. Over the span of centuries, I sincerely doubt that the cull bill isn't much much higher.

I won't even get into the other crimes against nature, God and man that they are both guilty of.

Post by tlb   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:12 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:It is the very methods of their madness that most highlights the sadness of their psychopathy.

Perhaps I did read your niece's note incorrectly; whether she is correct depends on how the author is using "genome". I understand it to mean the genetic history of an individual, whereas she is at one point using it to mean the individual. Unlike your niece, I read Chernyshev thinking that Marinescu's genome had shown no evidence of instability as saying basically it was not found in her ancestors. Whether it can mean personal genome is something we will need the author to explain.

Nevertheless we do NOT know that Isabel is sexually deviant.

As to the point of whether Malign is psychopathic and so any individual working toward its goals are automatically psychopathic; I am not sure how to proceed, so I looked to see what I could find in the internet.

Scott A. Bonn Ph.D. wrote:"How to tell a Sociopath from Psychopath" found in Psychology Today website.

Understanding important distinctions between criminal sociopaths and psychopaths.

Key traits that sociopaths and psychopaths have in common, include:
•A disregard for laws and social mores
•A disregard for the rights of others
•A failure to feel remorse or guilt
•A tendency to display violent behavior

In addition to their commonalities, sociopaths and psychopaths also have their own unique behavioral characteristics, as well.

Sociopaths tend to be nervous and easily agitated. They are volatile and prone to emotional outbursts, including fits of rage. They are likely to be uneducated and live on the fringes of society, unable to hold down a steady job or stay in one place for very long. It is difficult but not impossible for sociopaths to form attachments with others. Many sociopaths are able to form an attachment to a particular individual or group, although they have no regard for society in general or its rules. In the eyes of others, sociopaths will appear to be very disturbed. Any crimes committed by a sociopath, including murder, will tend to be haphazard, disorganized and spontaneous rather than planned.

Psychopaths, on the other hand, are unable to form emotional attachments or feel real empathy with others, although they often have disarming or even charming personalities. Psychopaths are very manipulative and can easily gain people’s trust. They learn to mimic emotions, despite their inability to actually feel them, and will appear normal to unsuspecting people. Psychopaths are often well educated and hold steady jobs. Some are so good at manipulation and mimicry that they have families and other long-term relationships without those around them ever suspecting their true nature.

When committing crimes, psychopaths carefully plan out every detail in advance and often have contingency plans in place. Unlike their sociopathic counterparts, psychopathic criminals are cool, calm, and meticulous. Their crimes, whether violent or non-violent, will be highly organized and generally offer few clues for authorities to pursue. Intelligent psychopaths make excellent white-collar criminals and "con artists" due to their calm and charismatic natures.

The cause of psychopathy is different than the cause of sociopathy (1). It is believed that psychopathy is the largely the result of “nature” (genetics) while sociopathy is more likely the result of “nurture” (environment). Psychopathy is related to a physiological defect that results in the underdevelopment of the part of the brain responsible for impulse control and emotions. Sociopathy, on the other hand, is more likely the product of childhood trauma and physical/emotional abuse. Because sociopathy appears to be learned rather than innate, sociopaths are capable of empathy in certain limited circumstances but not in others, and with a few individuals but not others.

Psychopathy is the most dangerous of all antisocial personality disorders because of the way psychopaths dissociate emotionally from their actions, regardless of how terrible those actions may be. Many prolific and notorious serial killers, including the late Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy, and the incarcerated Dennis Rader ("Bind, Torture, Kill" or BTK) are unremorseful psychopaths. Psychopathic killers view their innocent victims as inhuman objects to be tormented and exterminated for their own amusement or even sexual gratification.

On this basis Malign is psychopathic; but individuals such as the Dettweilers are not, because they do have emotional attachments to others within their circle. It is only outside their circle (those that are not Alpha, Beta nor Gamma), that they do not empathize nor recognize shared humanity.

One way of looking at it is that those within the circle believe themselves to be a separate species.
Post by Brigade XO   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:27 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

The Bardasano line was considered for culling (kill every dam living member and bits left in labs) but the one woman who was running the operations was enough not crazy to be usefull enough to both keep and perhaps splice bits of her into a variation of the Detweilter line.

So there are usefull and unusefull levels of crazy.
Sexual diviation? What sexual deviation? Tats and piercings? Being perhaps bisexual? They never mentioned Isobel liked killing partners of either sex.
Oh, PLEASE--DEFINE deviant sexual deviant behavior so you can get your name in at least 20 newspapers and God knows how many broadcast channels in the world. Sex with non-sentient alien species somewhere in the Honorverse? How about sentient non-terrestrial alien species?
Nobody remembers Mr. Spock? (well, perhaps there was some interesting tech involved)

Given what they have been experimenting with we have been shown, the Alignment (and Manpower) has been doing all sorts of "interesting" things combining human and non-human DNA. At this point I'm surprized we don't have crosses that are effectivly sentient trees (or shrubs) of intial Terrestraial species including Humand and Hops.

Is the controling level of the Alignment crazy. Bat shit crazy with genius level intellect and 300yr + potential lifespans and running a fully industrialized planitary system with leading edge weapons and hypercapable ships primarily populated by variations of cloned humans (mostly) which believe the Alignment is at war with the rest of the universe which wants to kill them? What could possibly be wrong with that?
Sigh !
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:36 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:It is the very methods of their madness that most highlights the sadness of their psychopathy.

Perhaps I did read your niece's note incorrectly; whether she is correct depends on how the author is using "genome". I understand it to mean the genetic history of an individual, whereas she is at one point using it to mean the individual. Unlike your niece, I read Chernyshev thinking that Marinescu's genome had shown no evidence of instability as saying basically it was not found in her ancestors. Whether it can mean personal genome is something we will need the author to explain.

Nevertheless we do NOT know that Isabel is sexually deviant.

As to the point of whether Malign is psychopathic and so any individual working toward its goals are automatically psychopathic; I am not sure how to proceed, so I looked to see what I could find in the internet.

Scott A. Bonn Ph.D. wrote:"How to tell a Sociopath from Psychopath" found in Psychology Today website.

Understanding important distinctions between criminal sociopaths and psychopaths.

Key traits that sociopaths and psychopaths have in common, include:
•A disregard for laws and social mores
•A disregard for the rights of others
•A failure to feel remorse or guilt
•A tendency to display violent behavior

In addition to their commonalities, sociopaths and psychopaths also have their own unique behavioral characteristics, as well.

Sociopaths tend to be nervous and easily agitated. They are volatile and prone to emotional outbursts, including fits of rage. They are likely to be uneducated and live on the fringes of society, unable to hold down a steady job or stay in one place for very long. It is difficult but not impossible for sociopaths to form attachments with others. Many sociopaths are able to form an attachment to a particular individual or group, although they have no regard for society in general or its rules. In the eyes of others, sociopaths will appear to be very disturbed. Any crimes committed by a sociopath, including murder, will tend to be haphazard, disorganized and spontaneous rather than planned.

Psychopaths, on the other hand, are unable to form emotional attachments or feel real empathy with others, although they often have disarming or even charming personalities. Psychopaths are very manipulative and can easily gain people’s trust. They learn to mimic emotions, despite their inability to actually feel them, and will appear normal to unsuspecting people. Psychopaths are often well educated and hold steady jobs. Some are so good at manipulation and mimicry that they have families and other long-term relationships without those around them ever suspecting their true nature.

When committing crimes, psychopaths carefully plan out every detail in advance and often have contingency plans in place. Unlike their sociopathic counterparts, psychopathic criminals are cool, calm, and meticulous. Their crimes, whether violent or non-violent, will be highly organized and generally offer few clues for authorities to pursue. Intelligent psychopaths make excellent white-collar criminals and "con artists" due to their calm and charismatic natures.

The cause of psychopathy is different than the cause of sociopathy (1). It is believed that psychopathy is the largely the result of “nature” (genetics) while sociopathy is more likely the result of “nurture” (environment). Psychopathy is related to a physiological defect that results in the underdevelopment of the part of the brain responsible for impulse control and emotions. Sociopathy, on the other hand, is more likely the product of childhood trauma and physical/emotional abuse. Because sociopathy appears to be learned rather than innate, sociopaths are capable of empathy in certain limited circumstances but not in others, and with a few individuals but not others.

Psychopathy is the most dangerous of all antisocial personality disorders because of the way psychopaths dissociate emotionally from their actions, regardless of how terrible those actions may be. Many prolific and notorious serial killers, including the late Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy, and the incarcerated Dennis Rader ("Bind, Torture, Kill" or BTK) are unremorseful psychopaths. Psychopathic killers view their innocent victims as inhuman objects to be tormented and exterminated for their own amusement or even sexual gratification.

On this basis Malign is psychopathic; but individuals such as the Dettweilers are not, because they do have emotional attachments to others within their circle. It is only outside their circle (those that are not Alpha, Beta nor Gamma), that they do not empathize nor recognize shared humanity.

One way of looking at it is that those within the circle believe themselves to be a separate species.
Do forgive my boldness to call attention.

I questioned whether the Detweilers had any emotional attachment at all many many threads ago because of his unwillingness to allow his own wife to procreate. Yes, I know she agreed to it, but did she have any choice? Was she conditioned to feel that way? Emotional attachment does not encourage one to genengineer your own offspring to look, act and think like yourself, robbing them of their own distinct personalities and identities and what they would aspire to be. I couldn't buy into that threads ago. Can't now.

Believe themselves to be a separate species eh? The Fuhrer is spinning in his grave wanting to sue him for plagiarism.

Yes, sociopathy is psychopathy with a conscience. The MAlign has no conscience.

Personally, I question whether they even have a soul -- yet that particular discussion is much too broad for this forum.

Return to Honorverse