Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 69 guests

[Spoiler - UH] utube snippet

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [Spoiler - UH] utube snippet
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:38 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Randomiser wrote:
quite possibly a cat wrote:Actually from the short story where Honor's parents met we know that Honor's dad is slightly psychic. Yet the treecats are unaware. So maybe Beth and her cat just know how to keep a secret secret! :x

But she's probably mind blind. :roll:
That eyeroll is for myself obviously

But the treecats do know about Honor's parents

All of them except Dances on Clouds and Cloud Dancer's Joy, her kitten. And just a tiny bit, Deep Roots and Laugh Dancer, her parents.

My italics

Honor's dad is not 'psychic' AFAIK, just a little bit not mind blind, so he has a pretty good idea when people are lying, knows how best to persuade people, and can detect the direction to his mate and something of her emotions like a treecat.
glott wrote:It is possible that Honor's dad's abilities were so slight that they couldn't be detected by treecats, until after he mated with Allison. I assume that mating with Allison strengthened his "mind glow."

Now that's an interesting notion glott. I like it. Also, after Honor was born and joined the family -- seeing as how there's a natural parental bond, and certainly a mother's intuition -- their ability may have been fuel injected a bit more, even if unbeknownst to them. Factor Nimitz into the equation and who know what was really going on in that household.

I've also championed the notion that Nimitz may have known about their abilities but also knew that, for some human reason, they wanted it kept on the down low.

"Honor, where did you and Nimitz go today?" Asks the parents in tandem.

"Oh, no where in particular mom." Fingers crossed.

"Un huh. Well, make sure you don't go no where in particular tomorrow too. Okay love?"

As Nimitz peers at them closer, raising a brow. Amused.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:52 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

quite possibly a cat wrote:
cthia wrote:Good eye Cmdr. You beat me to the punch. We also know that Beth is indeed M ND BL ND.

Actually from the short story where Honor's parents met we know that Honor's dad is slightly psychic. Yet the treecats are unaware. So maybe Beth and her cat just know how to keep a secret secret! :x

I don't know qpac. I really like that notion. It could be the case that Beth is holding that secret in reserve, just as Honor kept that very same edge a secret. After all, it would certainly serve Beth quite well when horse trading with the government and foreign heads of state -- despite the fact that I'm rather partial to the notion and would personally really like Beth to have some mind sight. Moreover, it seems nonintuitive that she would remain mind blind for so long, considering that her genetic makeup is as unusual and cutting edge as the Harringtons. But in absence of actual textev, I'd be overstepping the author's boundaries to reflect it on the line as such. But certainly, let's keep hope alive!

One thing is for certain. Authors are like pitchers on the diamond and you never really know what ball they're going to throw. Remember, there are screw balls, sliders, curves, drop balls, and straight down the middle strikes. How you perceive the pitch may have a lot to do with your stance. "GET OFF THE PLATE." I remember being told once as a kid. LOL

Last edited by cthia on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by glott   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:07 pm

glott
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

cthia, I'd like to add my thanks for the transcripts of the video snippet. I tried to listening to it a few times, but could only make out isolated words, I have some hearing loss. So I really appreciate your taking the time and effort to make these transcripts. Thanks again.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

"...the ability of an entrenched, bureaucratic military to ignore anything which challenges its fundamental working assumptions simply cannot be exaggerated." - David Weber
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:48 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

glott wrote:cthia, I'd like to add my thanks for the transcripts of the video snippet. I tried to listening to it a few times, but could only make out isolated words, I have some hearing loss. So I really appreciate your taking the time and effort to make these transcripts. Thanks again.

You are quite welcome as well glott. I really appreciate all of the thanks. It really makes the grueling effort worth it.

My parents always stressed the popular saying "You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar."

'Tis true, because all of your appreciation and kind words has me working on the entire transcript from the beginning. Hope the author doesn't mind. But there are at least somewhere between 5 to 10 minutes snipped from the first transcript.

I knew I had to make the process as painless and convenient as possible. So I'm using my tablet and a video player that enables onscreen finger control. I can easily jump backwards with the flick of a finger and listen to a passage until I'm satisfied.

So, much of the pain is removed, just none of the headache. LOL

At any rate, all of you are worth it. The snippet is an entire chapter. Honestly, I'd be suffering if the shoe was on the other foot and an entire chapter was, so close yet so far, rendered in that awful German language. Sorry, German speakers.

An entire chapter? Arrgh! Therefore...

There's no need to fear. Underdog is here. Minus the speed of lightning. LOL

Post by cthia   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:57 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I have completed the transcript in its entirety and will post it very shortly after a bit more time to proofread it, to at least catch the obvious errors. LOL

Unfortunately—as far as my transcribing efforts, but luckily for us all—it seems I was in error about how much was snipped from the first transcript. It was more than 15 minutes! Previously, I hadn't formally sat down to listen to any of the video because I was contemplating attempting this project and I could kill two birds with one stone. That turned out to be the right decision per my effort as it served to keep me fresh and grinding at the stone.

However, the snipped material of the first part actually illuminates quite a bit of the second part, of course. Duh. And the result of that was to make clear what this People's eyes is that I was struggling with. It is actually People's Eye's. Which is Joubert's treecat name.

Stay tuned. The full transcript is so close to being "In the mail" that you can almost hold your breath. I will hustle it onto a Dispatch Boat and send it off into hyper veeery shortly.

Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:01 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:

Actually from the short story where Honor's parents met we know that Honor's dad is slightly psychic. Yet the treecats are unaware. So maybe Beth and her cat just know how to keep a secret secret! :x

I don't know qpac. I really like that notion. It could be the case that Beth is holding that secret in reserve, just as Honor kept that very same edge a secret. After all, it would certainly serve Beth quite well when horse trading with the government and foreign heads of state -- despite the fact that I'm rather partial to the notion and would personally really like Beth to have some mind sight. Moreover, it seems nonintuitive that she would remain mind blind for so long, considering that her genetic makeup is as unusual and cutting edge as the Harringtons. But in absence of actual textev, I'd be overstepping the author's boundaries to reflect it on the line as such. But certainly, let's keep hope alive!

One thing is for certain. Authors are like pitchers on the diamond and you never really know what ball they're going to throw. Remember, there are screw balls, sliders, curves, drop balls, and straight down the middle strikes. How you perceive the pitch may have a lot to do with your stance. GET OFF THE MOUND, I remember being told once as a kid. LOL

Maybe it's just that his psyche abilities are different from the treecats. They do it one way and he might do it another. And we all have a bit of what he has.

I seem to always be able to find my wife when she goes wandering off in a large store and seem to sense when she is close. Not in a big "woo woo" way but she has noticed it.
Post by cthia   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:34 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

One thing is for certain. Authors are like pitchers on the diamond and you never really know what ball they're going to throw. Remember, there are screw balls, sliders, curves, drop balls, and straight down the middle strikes. How you perceive the pitch may have a lot to do with your stance. GET OFF THE MOUND, I remember being told once as a kid. LOL
ldwechsler wrote:Maybe it's just that his psyche abilities are different from the treecats. They do it one way and he might do it another. And we all have a bit of what he has.

I seem to always be able to find my wife when she goes wandering off in a large store and seem to sense when she is close. Not in a big "woo woo" way but she has noticed it.

Could be ldwechsler. The difference may be rooted in the comparison between psychic and telepathic/telempathic.

Note:
I will post the final version in its entirety as the first post of the next page to make it easy to find and reference.

Post by cthia   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:39 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I need to reread it myself, for absorption instead of transcription, but I think I read that there are evil People??? I wondered about that. Perhaps I'm mistaken. It would make sense. Treecats are an intelligent species but they shouldn't be... perfect?

Even so, I still hope I am wrong.

Last edited by cthia on Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by cthia   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:45 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

This snippet endears me to Patricia Givens soooo much. I find it interesting that a treecat is her closest friend. Does it have to do with her suspicious nature? LOL

She reminds me a bit of the solitary life led by Sonja Hemphill.

Post by cthia   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:51 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

A bit of a spoiler to the spoiler. I always wondered if an actual human singer would interest a treecat as far as bonding. It seems a treecat would find the beautiful voice of a two-leg interesting and tasty. I also wonder how it might influence a memory song.

The upcoming post has brought that possibility closer, with a ballet performer.

Now, without much more ado...

Return to Honorverse