Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

[Spoiler - UH] utube snippet

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [Spoiler - UH] utube snippet
Post by tlb   » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:26 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:However, the revelation fuels another question. Don't you think "Thought Chaser" is an appropriate name for a 'Cat who would find an ONI mind appealing? Not just any ONI mind. A paranoid ONI mind of the Pat Givens' kind.

In most of the cases the cats were made bodyguards without actually bonding with the person. Do you think that the cats got to pick and choose based on mind flavor or were most assignments random?
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:02 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:However, the revelation fuels another question. Don't you think "Thought Chaser" is an appropriate name for a 'Cat who would find an ONI mind appealing? Not just any ONI mind. A paranoid ONI mind of the Pat Givens' kind.

In most of the cases the cats were made bodyguards without actually bonding with the person. Do you think that the cats got to pick and choose based on mind flavor or were most assignments random?

Actually, I've wondered about that as well. Treecats are an intelligent species. They don't understand a lot of human foibles, but I would suspect that that cuts both ways.

For instance, treecats bond with humans when the succulence of our mindglow hits a certain threshold. By the same token, I would imagine that the mindglows of certain humans are at the lowest threshold. Damn near just made it under the fence of getting on a treecat's nerves. There are more than one of the Pavel Young types on the planet. Arrogant, conceited, holier-than-thou assholes that need to be shot. I would imagine that a constant mindglow like that would get on a Cat's nerves. So, yes, I believe the Cats would get a final okay on the matter.

Humans get to do it. <No, I'm not going to be able to work with this creep and guarantee his safety>

Do you imagine a treecat can be around Pavel Young daily and not kill him?

Clean Killer! What did you do?!

<It all happened so fast. After he got on my last nerve>

I wonder if treecats can play matchmaker like humans do? We think we know which two of our single friends are perfect for each other. Why wouldn't treecats be able to play matchmaker for themselves? They have a keener sense of another cat's tastes.

I kind of tried to get inside a Cats head in the Trinity post of the "Honor & Nimitz & Pavel Young" thread. I tried. :roll:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:48 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
tlb wrote:However, the revelation fuels another question. Don't you think "Thought Chaser" is an appropriate name for a 'Cat who would find an ONI mind appealing? Not just any ONI mind. A paranoid ONI mind of the Pat Givens' kind.

Actually, I've wondered about that as well. Treecats are an intelligent species. They don't understand a lot of human foibles, but I would suspect that that cuts both ways.

For instance, treecats bond with humans when the succulence of our mindglow hits a certain threshold. By the same token, I would imagine that the mindglows of certain humans are at the lowest threshold. Damn near just made it under the fence of getting on a treecat's nerves. There are more than one of the Pavel Young types on the planet. Arrogant, conceited, holier-than-thou assholes that need to be shot. I would imagine that a constant mindglow like that would get on a Cat's nerves. So, yes, I believe the Cats would get a final okay on the matter.

Humans get to do it. <No, I'm not going to be able to work with this creep and guarantee his safety>

I wonder if treecats can play matchmaker like humans do? We think we know which two of our single friends are perfect for each other. Why wouldn't treecats be able to play matchmaker for themselves? They have a keener sense of another cat's tastes.

I kind of tried to get inside a Cats head in the Trinity post of the "Honor & Nimitz & Pavel Young" thread. I tried. :roll:[/quote]

Cats are telepathic with each other. I think decisions will be made based on readings of the humans. This is not a bonding where there is no choice.

The cats will know a real lot about each person just from one of them 'reading the human.' They probably then divvy them up.
Post by cthia   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:01 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Rincewind wrote:Does anybody else think that Damian Harahap is like a Treecat in that he always lands on his feet?

Thoughts anyone?

I guess I do, since at one point I thought he was living a charmed life.

It is interesting to note he thought he had been given the destruct protocols. It begs to question if he would have fled the MA had he known he hadn't. How did he find out about the protocols anyway? I don't recall him being told, or that the info wouldn't be classified.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:11 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
tlb wrote:However, the revelation fuels another question. Don't you think "Thought Chaser" is an appropriate name for a 'Cat who would find an ONI mind appealing? Not just any ONI mind. A paranoid ONI mind of the Pat Givens' kind.

I kind of tried to get inside a Cats head in the Trinity post of the "Honor & Nimitz & Pavel Young" thread. I tried. :roll:[/quote]

Cats are telepathic with each other. I think decisions will be made based on readings of the humans. This is not a bonding where there is no choice.

The cats will know a real lot about each person just from one of them 'reading the human.' They probably then divvy them up.[/quote]

Let us note that Nimitz was near Young at least a few times and didn't attack. Things are not that simple.
Post by glott   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:29 pm

glott
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

cthia wrote:
Rincewind wrote:Does anybody else think that Damian Harahap is like a Treecat in that he always lands on his feet?

Thoughts anyone?

It is interesting to note he thought he had been given the destruct protocols. It begs to question if he would have fled the MA had he known he hadn't. How did he find out about the protocols anyway? I don't recall him being told, or that the info wouldn't be classified.

IIRC he didn't know about the protocols, but as an experienced agent, he assumed his new employers would take those sort of precautions when they got the opportunity. And he did have some medical work done when he was on Mesa. He just didn't realize that they hadn't had time to implant their version of self-destruct protocols.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

"...the ability of an entrenched, bureaucratic military to ignore anything which challenges its fundamental working assumptions simply cannot be exaggerated." - David Weber
Post by cthia   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:42 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

Thoughts anyone?

glott wrote:IIRC he didn't know about the protocols, but as an experienced agent, he assumed his new employers would take those sort of precautions when they got the opportunity. And he did have some medical work done when he was on Mesa. He just didn't realize that they hadn't had time to implant their version of self-destruct protocols.

But that is my point. I didn't think those types of protocols ever existed anywhere else in the Honorverse for people to even consider it as an option.

Post by Dauntless   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:30 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

I think it is more a matter of seeing what else they were doing medically and what he was being used for that the idea of suicide protocol simply struck him as a logical extension of everything else he knew about them
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:43 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:I think it is more a matter of seeing what else they were doing medically and what he was being used for that the idea of suicide protocol simply struck him as a logical extension of everything else he knew about them

That would give him the uncanny ability of a criminal profiler that I've outlined elsewhere. Extraordinary powers of criminal profiling in this case. Of course, textev does support this ability of his. And the GA are certainly going to need extraordinary profiling skills to peg the MAlign. So, I suppose so. ::shrug::

Post by Dauntless   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:52 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

but that ability call it profiling call it walking in their shoes is part of why he was so success as firebrand and in his earlier non Malign career.

Return to Honorverse