Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dauntless and 62 guests

[Spoiler - UH] utube snippet

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [Spoiler - UH] utube snippet
Post by cthia   » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:42 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

It also seems, if I am digesting this passage correctly, that treecats never learned to deceive, had never even considered deception or lying, until they came into contact with two-legs.

Darn! My parents were right about hanging with the wrong crowd not being good. As if. "Be careful about the company you keep," they would always tell me. LOL
Video Snippet wrote:The People had never considered saying a thing which was not so, before having encountered the two-legs and learned to understand their mouth noises. There had been no point since any person knew whether or not the person mindspeaking with him was doing such an outlandish thing.

For some reason this passage reminds me of the long time span elapsed before the treecats decided to come out of the closet to humans. It reminds me of the difficult time Protector Benjamin had with so many of the dissenters against his Mayhew Restoration and the probable objections.

"They're heathens! If we don't watch it, they'll infect us with their sinful ways."

It happened to the treecats. We had to go and teach such an innocent species how to deceive, didn't we? Out of all the things... LOL

From the look of it, humans represent the treecat's tree of knowledge of good and evil and they shouldn't have bitten the apple? I guess celery is their apple? LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Vince   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:28 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:It also seems, if I am digesting this passage correctly, that treecats never learned to deceive, had never even considered deception or lying, until they came into contact with two-legs.

Darn! My parents were right about hanging with the wrong crowd not being good. As if. "Be careful about the company you keep," they would always tell me. LOL
Video Snippet wrote:The People had never considered saying a thing which was not so, before having encountered the two-legs and learned to understand their mouth noises. There had been no point since any person knew whether or not the person mindspeaking with him was doing such an outlandish thing.

For some reason this passage reminds me of the long time span elapsed before the treecats decided to come out of the closet to humans. It reminds me of the difficult time Protector Benjamin had with so many of the dissenters against his Mayhew Restoration and the probable objections.

"They're heathens! If we don't watch it, they'll infect us with their sinful ways."

It happened to the treecats. We had to go and teach such an innocent species how to deceive, didn't we? Out of all the things... LOL

From the look of it, humans represent the treecat's tree of knowledge of good and evil and they shouldn't have bitten the apple? I guess celery is their apple? LOL

Not quite:
A Beautiful Friendship, Chapter 24 wrote:Matters weren’t helped by the fact that until the People had met the two-legs it had never occurred to any of them that someone could speak falsely. There was no point in one of the People attempting to deceive another person in that way, since the other person was always able to sense the emotions and thoughts behind whatever was said. It was possible for the People to deceive or trick one another, but not by telling the other something which was untrue. Instead, the People had to arrange things so that the one they desired to trick had no clue of what was about to happen, and many of the younger People, especially among the scouts and hunters, delighted in contriving clever ways to do just that. It was good training, both for the one arranging the trick and for the trick’s intended victim. On the one hand it taught the sort of forethought and cunning any hunter or scout might find useful one day, and on the other it taught the alertness and caution any hunter or scout most definitely would find useful one day.
Italics are the author's.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:44 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:It also seems, if I am digesting this passage correctly, that treecats never learned to deceive, had never even considered deception or lying, until they came into contact with two-legs.

Vince wrote:Not quite:
A Beautiful Friendship, Chapter 24 wrote:Matters weren’t helped by the fact that until the People had met the two-legs it had never occurred to any of them that someone could speak falsely. There was no point in one of the People attempting to deceive another person in that way, since the other person was always able to sense the emotions and thoughts behind whatever was said. It was possible for the People to deceive or trick one another, but not by telling the other something which was untrue. Instead, the People had to arrange things so that the one they desired to trick had no clue of what was about to happen, and many of the younger People, especially among the scouts and hunters, delighted in contriving clever ways to do just that. It was good training, both for the one arranging the trick and for the trick’s intended victim. On the one hand it taught the sort of forethought and cunning any hunter or scout might find useful one day, and on the other it taught the alertness and caution any hunter or scout most definitely would find useful one day.
Italics are the author's.

That seems to be saying the same thing as the video snippet. I didn't claim that the treecats claim they can actually lie, nor does the passage claim that the cats don't benefit from the talent. But they both seem to support the fact that they didn't actually learn the talent, were even exposed to the notion, until cavorting with two-legs.

Albeit, my own warped logic -- from my genetically predisposed third eye -- goes a step further and projects these sharpened skills many turns of hands into the future when they are honed to a treecat claw's razor edge, when deception becomes commonplace and very formidable within the species, having been carried in a memory song and disseminated throughout the species. It is like teaching a kid to pick a lock, yet failing to consider the ramifications of his lock picking skills down the road.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:26 am

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:Good eye Cmdr. You beat me to the punch. We also know that Beth is indeed M ND BL ND.

Actually from the short story where Honor's parents met we know that Honor's dad is slightly psychic. Yet the treecats are unaware. So maybe Beth and her cat just know how to keep a secret secret! :x

But she's probably mind blind. :roll:
That eyeroll is for myself obviously
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:53 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

quite possibly a cat wrote:
cthia wrote:Good eye Cmdr. You beat me to the punch. We also know that Beth is indeed M ND BL ND.

Actually from the short story where Honor's parents met we know that Honor's dad is slightly psychic. Yet the treecats are unaware. So maybe Beth and her cat just know how to keep a secret secret! :x

When you can communicate mind to mind you get the pure thought since a lie would sort of announce itself. Therefore it is likely that they would soon learn about it when dealing with humans, particularly those they adopt.

They do understand the concept, however. That's why they can be used as lie detectors.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:12 am

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

The inability to lie is a two edged sword - Treecat society takes centuries to come up with new innovations, and my guess is that this is partly due to their inability to lie. To lie, you have to see the world as being different than it is- I did NOT eat that chocolate cake, no ma'am. Somebody must have come in while my back was turned and stolen it! ;)

But this ability to see a different world can be a good thing, applied the right way. I don't want to get out of bed to turn the light off, but if I just had some string and a pulley...

Or, indeed, the long and highly involved lie that is the Honorverse. Treecats have memory songs - but do they have novels?

They do 'lie', btw, in the sense that one treecat can deceive another, but it's difficult for them and they see it as mainly useful for practical jokes. Laughs Brightly, aka Stinker is well known as a practical joker.
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:55 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

quite possibly a cat wrote:

But the treecats do know about Honor's parents
All of them except Dances on Clouds and Cloud Dancer's Joy, her kitten. And just a tiny bit, Deep Roots and Laugh Dancer, her parents.
My italics

Honor's dad is not 'psychic' AFAIK, just a little bit not mind blind, so he has a pretty good idea when people are lying, knows how best to persuade people, and can detect the direction to his mate and something of her emotions like a treecat.
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:01 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

Randomiser wrote:But the treecats do know about Honor's parents

Whoops.
Post by Hans   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:02 pm

Hans
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Hello,

cthia wrote:Here is more transcripts of the video snippet. My same apologies in advance, as I offered as a result of the first transcript which most likely taints the author's works and tries his sensibilities, as well as to my fellow readers who may be led astray. Apology. Apology. Apology. Having humbly apologized for any misrepresentation of actual text and storyline, do enjoy...

Haven't seen the snippet at page 20 before.
I can just say: So many thanks for your work @cthia!
Post by glott   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:20 pm

glott
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Randomiser wrote:
quite possibly a cat wrote:Actually from the short story where Honor's parents met we know that Honor's dad is slightly psychic. Yet the treecats are unaware. So maybe Beth and her cat just know how to keep a secret secret! :x

But the treecats do know about Honor's parents

All of them except Dances on Clouds and Cloud Dancer's Joy, her kitten. And just a tiny bit, Deep Roots and Laugh Dancer, her parents.

My italics

Honor's dad is not 'psychic' AFAIK, just a little bit not mind blind, so he has a pretty good idea when people are lying, knows how best to persuade people, and can detect the direction to his mate and something of her emotions like a treecat.

It is possible that Honor's dad's abilities were so slight that they couldn't be detected by treecats, until after he mated with Allison. I assume that mating with Allison strengthened his "mind glow."
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

"...the ability of an entrenched, bureaucratic military to ignore anything which challenges its fundamental working assumptions simply cannot be exaggerated." - David Weber

Return to Honorverse