Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 133 guests

[Spoiler - UH] utube snippet

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [Spoiler - UH] utube snippet
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:19 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:
Brigade XO wrote:I don't think Admirals Henke and Tourville are going to eliminate Manpower on Mesa in the way that sounds. What is more likely is that they (probably in conjuction with Jereme X and others) are going to have to deconstruct Manpower in some orderly fashion to retain records, and safely shut down what needs to be shut down while protecting the inocent and not destroying billions of credidts in equipment which can and should be used elcewhere.
Manpower is not the only corporation that will have to happen to. At the very least, all the local operations of the TransStellars in-system plus the other companies that worked with and for Manpower in the genetic slave and research operations will need to be examined. Given what they were doing, it would be prudent to invite in Beowulf to assist. That would add other levels and specialties of fields to discover what was done and how in both the research and get some sort of handle on the medical conditions and modifications to the slaves and others.
Total mess.

Place/assign blame for slavery, sure. Trying these people under former Mesan law is going to be be odd if not impossible exept where they broke actual Mesan law.

Amoung other considerations are all the genetic slaves presently under the control and existing only on the support of Manpower and it's subsidiaries. Even if you have a lot of adults, they are probably not anywhere near ready to funtion as free and independt people ON MESA, let alone elcewhere. Liberating even several hundred slaves on a slave ship only puts a microscopic drop of people into whaterver planitary system they are taken to (Beowulf, Manticore, even Torch.)
So some mechanism has to be set up to transition these former slaves into the general population of Mesa and find them employment, even if what various people - say Torch- would be willing to take them by the shipload. Still have to keep them alive and get them there before starting their education and learning skills.
Then there is the current batches of slaves in the process of being grown in the uterine replicatiors -literaly on an industrial scale- and the staffs and support personel that oversee and maintain all that. You can't just cut the power and dump the fetuses -at least the people incharge from Manticore, Haven, Torch can't. So they need to be carried at least to term (with a range of a couple of days to full term with imminent decanting. Time, people support....and then caring for the infants. The actual locations may stay the same but so much other stuff is going to have to change.

To be practical, all of that Manpower laboratory and industrial artificial birth enviornment equipment and infrastructure has a significant medical value. It is probable that Manpower or a number of it's subsidiaries was also the primary manufacture of uterine replicatiors for the Citizen portion of Mesa's population including supplying the hospitals and private clinics. Just scrapping it vs cleaning, reconditioning and then selling it off-world to help pay for at least partial rebuilding of much of Mesa is crazy. Even if some parties are going to want any proceeds to be "given" or at least allocated to improving the lot (and education, training or immigration) of the former slaves and seccies, the equipment should be treated as a resource. No, I don't trust the actual Manpower employees to handle that.

Even with Houdini and then Albrect's spectacular exit accompanied by 30 nuclear blasts, it is going to take a long time and a lot of people to sort out what the hell was going on with Mesa. That means people (security, accountants, investigators and some sort of longish time occupation scheme to find and look through all that "paperwork" and records.

A bunch of this is probably going to come back and bite the Alignment in the ass because when people get around to actualy proving that this was, in the great part, an Alignment operation, the backlash will impact on the Alignment grand plan.
How? Things in the genetics- the "research" labs and the varioius slave populations that match -later- things in the Alignment are trackable. You can show where they originated (Mesa labs). Unless, of course, a lot of that research and lab space is also now radioactive dust and glowing holes in Mesa.

I'm waiting for the Hali Sowli, the Sparatacus, and a half dozen Torch Frigates to cross the hyperlimit, with a Regiment from the Torch Army on the Hali Sowli, and "take control" of the situation on Mesa. Watching a CA take over command of a 60 SD from force, and 1500 men take control of a 1.5 million man army will be... Interesting...

I think a lot of the information will be valuable but I am going to guess it's the mandarins who'll be hurt more than MAlign. Right now, just about no one knows where the emigrants went. I've got the feeling that they are going to 'play possum' there for a bit and wait for the League to disintegrate. Then they'll start to grow from their 13 planets.
Post by JohnRoth   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:04 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:I think a lot of the information will be valuable but I am going to guess it's the mandarins who'll be hurt more than MAlign. Right now, just about no one knows where the emigrants went. I've got the feeling that they are going to 'play possum' there for a bit and wait for the League to disintegrate. Then they'll start to grow from their 13 planets.

I was puzzled for a bit by what you meant, then it dawned on me that you were talking about Darius and the Renaissance Factor. That is, I believe, the plan as it's been laid out.
Post by JohnRoth   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:16 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Theemile wrote:
Brigade XO wrote:I don't think Admirals Henke and Tourville are going to eliminate Manpower on Mesa in the way that sounds. What is more likely is that they (probably in conjuction with Jereme X and others) are going to have to deconstruct Manpower in some orderly fashion to retain records, and safely shut down what needs to be shut down while protecting the inocent and not destroying billions of credidts in equipment which can and should be used elcewhere.
Manpower is not the only corporation that will have to happen to. At the very least, all the local operations of the TransStellars in-system plus the other companies that worked with and for Manpower in the genetic slave and research operations will need to be examined. Given what they were doing, it would be prudent to invite in Beowulf to assist. That would add other levels and specialties of fields to discover what was done and how in both the research and get some sort of handle on the medical conditions and modifications to the slaves and others.
Total mess.

Place/assign blame for slavery, sure. Trying these people under former Mesan law is going to be be odd if not impossible exept where they broke actual Mesan law.

Amoung other considerations are all the genetic slaves presently under the control and existing only on the support of Manpower and it's subsidiaries. Even if you have a lot of adults, they are probably not anywhere near ready to funtion as free and independt people ON MESA, let alone elcewhere. Liberating even several hundred slaves on a slave ship only puts a microscopic drop of people into whaterver planitary system they are taken to (Beowulf, Manticore, even Torch.)
So some mechanism has to be set up to transition these former slaves into the general population of Mesa and find them employment, even if what various people - say Torch- would be willing to take them by the shipload. Still have to keep them alive and get them there before starting their education and learning skills.
Then there is the current batches of slaves in the process of being grown in the uterine replicatiors -literaly on an industrial scale- and the staffs and support personel that oversee and maintain all that. You can't just cut the power and dump the fetuses -at least the people incharge from Manticore, Haven, Torch can't. So they need to be carried at least to term (with a range of a couple of days to full term with imminent decanting. Time, people support....and then caring for the infants. The actual locations may stay the same but so much other stuff is going to have to change.

To be practical, all of that Manpower laboratory and industrial artificial birth enviornment equipment and infrastructure has a significant medical value. It is probable that Manpower or a number of it's subsidiaries was also the primary manufacture of uterine replicatiors for the Citizen portion of Mesa's population including supplying the hospitals and private clinics. Just scrapping it vs cleaning, reconditioning and then selling it off-world to help pay for at least partial rebuilding of much of Mesa is crazy. Even if some parties are going to want any proceeds to be "given" or at least allocated to improving the lot (and education, training or immigration) of the former slaves and seccies, the equipment should be treated as a resource. No, I don't trust the actual Manpower employees to handle that.

Even with Houdini and then Albrect's spectacular exit accompanied by 30 nuclear blasts, it is going to take a long time and a lot of people to sort out what the hell was going on with Mesa. That means people (security, accountants, investigators and some sort of longish time occupation scheme to find and look through all that "paperwork" and records.

A bunch of this is probably going to come back and bite the Alignment in the ass because when people get around to actualy proving that this was, in the great part, an Alignment operation, the backlash will impact on the Alignment grand plan.
How? Things in the genetics- the "research" labs and the varioius slave populations that match -later- things in the Alignment are trackable. You can show where they originated (Mesa labs). Unless, of course, a lot of that research and lab space is also now radioactive dust and glowing holes in Mesa.

I'm waiting for the Hali Sowli, the Sparatacus, and a half dozen Torch Frigates to cross the hyperlimit, with a Regiment from the Torch Army on the Hali Sowli, and "take control" of the situation on Mesa. Watching a CA take over command of a 60 SD force, and 1500 men take control of a 1.5 million man army will be... Interesting...

Not going to happen that way. What happens to the genetic slaves will have to wait for Jeremy X to arrive, but most of the rest will be in the hands of the Admirals. Anton, Victor and Thandi have made promises about the Seccies that will be honored long before Jeremy arrives or sends word he isn't coming.

Of course, Manpower will be disassembled in an orderly fashion, for some not entirely unreasonable meaning of the word "orderly." Manpower ships and any other ships used in the genetic slave trade will be taken and destroyed, all ties with off-planet Manpower will be cut. Some other transstellars (Jessyk Combine, for instance) will be eliminated. Others? Case by case basis.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:15 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

For convenient reference since I've got my finger on it...

SoV Ch. 17 wrote:He wasn’t entirely happy about the new medical package his employers had provided. He’d seen too many ways in which suicide switches could be rigged even without access to someone’s doctor, and he suspected that his new doctor would have been perfectly happy to do just that. That thought was enough to provoke the occasional bad dream, but they hadn’t really needed any elaborate doctor’s visits to set up something like that. There were much simpler ways to go about it, and he told himself firmly to look at the upside.

If Bardasano was to be believed, the booster to his prolong had just added close to another T-century to his expected lifetime. The ability to see in near-total darkness wasn’t anything at which a field operative was likely to turn up his nose, either. And neither were the repair nanites swarming around his system. Bardasano had demonstrated their efficacy for him by slashing her own palm and then letting him watch as the deep cut closed and began healing before his very eyes. It was almost like carrying his very own regen clinic around with him, although he strongly suspected they violated the prohibitions on self-replicating, broad-spectrum biological nanotech. The times that sort of initially innocuous technology had gotten out of hand were enough to make anyone nervous, but if it was going to be wandering around the galaxy anyway, he might as well get in on it, himself. The oxygen reservoir implanted in his abdomen and the EM spectrum sensors implanted across his shoulder blades were well worth having, as well, and he’d been promised improved anti-disease nannies when he got back, as well. Unlike the repair nanites, they needed to be specifically coded to his own genotype so they could recognize any intruders, and there hadn’t quite been time to get that done before he had to catch his shuttle for his new assignment.

And let’s face it, he thought wryly, nobody lives forever, anyway. Sure, Bardasano’ll dispose of me in a heartbeat if I turn into a liability, but I already knew that. Probably be a lot harder for me to just…disappear now to avoid that, though. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if my “regularly scheduled medical checkups” are going to include resetting some sort of dead man’s switch from now on. That’s how I’d’ve set it up, anyway. But the pay’s good, the work’s challenging, and as long as I don’t trip myself up and blow an assignment, they’ll keep me around and keep me in the field.

In an odd sort of way, that was almost amusing, and he closed his eyes and smiled as he let the music sweep over him.

Harahap's additions are not galaxy wide accepted shareware. And I still think somehow traceable.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:56 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:For convenient reference since I've got my finger on it...

SoV Ch. 17 wrote:He wasn’t entirely happy about the new medical package his employers had provided. He’d seen too many ways in which suicide switches could be rigged even without access to someone’s doctor, and he suspected that his new doctor would have been perfectly happy to do just that. That thought was enough to provoke the occasional bad dream, but they hadn’t really needed any elaborate doctor’s visits to set up something like that. There were much simpler ways to go about it, and he told himself firmly to look at the upside.

If Bardasano was to be believed, the booster to his prolong had just added close to another T-century to his expected lifetime. The ability to see in near-total darkness wasn’t anything at which a field operative was likely to turn up his nose, either. And neither were the repair nanites swarming around his system. Bardasano had demonstrated their efficacy for him by slashing her own palm and then letting him watch as the deep cut closed and began healing before his very eyes. It was almost like carrying his very own regen clinic around with him, although he strongly suspected they violated the prohibitions on self-replicating, broad-spectrum biological nanotech. The times that sort of initially innocuous technology had gotten out of hand were enough to make anyone nervous, but if it was going to be wandering around the galaxy anyway, he might as well get in on it, himself. The oxygen reservoir implanted in his abdomen and the EM spectrum sensors implanted across his shoulder blades were well worth having, as well, and he’d been promised improved anti-disease nannies when he got back, as well. Unlike the repair nanites, they needed to be specifically coded to his own genotype so they could recognize any intruders, and there hadn’t quite been time to get that done before he had to catch his shuttle for his new assignment.

And let’s face it, he thought wryly, nobody lives forever, anyway. Sure, Bardasano’ll dispose of me in a heartbeat if I turn into a liability, but I already knew that. Probably be a lot harder for me to just…disappear now to avoid that, though. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if my “regularly scheduled medical checkups” are going to include resetting some sort of dead man’s switch from now on. That’s how I’d’ve set it up, anyway. But the pay’s good, the work’s challenging, and as long as I don’t trip myself up and blow an assignment, they’ll keep me around and keep me in the field.

In an odd sort of way, that was almost amusing, and he closed his eyes and smiled as he let the music sweep over him.

Harahap's additions are not galaxy wide accepted shareware. And I still think somehow traceable.

I'd say the lead was buried. Yes, these additions are great. Actually since at least one of them has to be adapted to his body, it would mean the others probably do not. This could do wonders for a lot of people if some of those changes are allowed. Remember that these are NOT genetic. Treating all marines with a few of these would increase efficiency.

Again, the changes are basically not genetic and presumably could be done for most people.

But the really important element came a bit later. Harahap KNOWS about the MAlignment. He knows it goals. Chances are he has a lot more knowledge than Bardasano gave him credit for and he can figure out a lot more if he starts talking with some really sharp intelligence officers. Since Anton knows of the emigration, they will probably figure out a lot more...probably everything except what planets MAlign controlled.

That's a real lot of information.
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:51 am

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:One other thing I think bears mentioning. During Houdini there were entities (I forgot the name of them (Scrags?)) who were tasked with riding herd on some of the more risky charges. It reminds me of the People's Commissioners tasked with riding herd on some of the officers. Perhaps the same sort of ingredients from the human element could come into to play. Sympathy and empathy.

To be fair, the People's Commissioners spent lots of time with the officers, where in this case, time for the herders to bond with the riders may be absent. But still, emotional weakness can happen at the drop of a tear.

Scrags are descendants of the Ukrainian super-soldiers. I'm not sure what they were called, but they did have people to ride herd.

But the ones we've been shown are fanatics. Real fanatics who would calmly die for the cause if need be. One self-destructed a slaver-ship with himself on board. I don't think we saw this from the People's Commissioners.
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:05 am

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

Brigade XO wrote:How? Things in the genetics- the "research" labs and the varioius slave populations that match -later- things in the Alignment are trackable. You can show where they originated (Mesa labs). Unless, of course, a lot of that research and lab space is also now radioactive dust and glowing holes in Mesa.

The people in the Alignment already know that their genetics are first tested on slaves. Some of them even have low level familial feelings for slaves in general.
ldwechsler wrote:
I'd say the lead was buried. Yes, these additions are great. Actually since at least one of them has to be adapted to his body, it would mean the others probably do not. This could do wonders for a lot of people if some of those changes are allowed. Remember that these are NOT genetic. Treating all marines with a few of these would increase efficiency.
But they won't be allowed. Those bans are there for a reason. Also if I was the Malign I would have modified weaponized versions ready to go. If Manticore decides to distribute them to their marines, unleashed the weaponized version and watch Manticore get blamed! Even if the Manticorian government knows better they'll have trouble convincing anyone.

Also simply copying tech you don't have a handle on is a good way to screw it up. Worse, accidental disasters could be compounded since the Manticorian government might "know" it was actually a Malign bioweapon!

Better to simply keep the tech around. If some small start up suddenly invents prolong boosters, its a good sign of Alignment contact.
Post by cthia   » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:24 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:
cthia wrote:One other thing I think bears mentioning. During Houdini there were entities (I forgot the name of them (Scrags?)) who were tasked with riding herd on some of the more risky charges. It reminds me of the People's Commissioners tasked with riding herd on some of the officers. Perhaps the same sort of ingredients from the human element could come into to play. Sympathy and empathy.

To be fair, the People's Commissioners spent lots of time with the officers, where in this case, time for the herders to bond with the riders may be absent. But still, emotional weakness can happen at the drop of a tear.

I believe those guards were called GAULs and were very carefully trained/conditioned to make sure this exact problem did not happen

Yes they are carefully trained/conditioned. But so too are the pleasure slaves and Jeremy X, and we both know the disappointment there. I don't think anyone could have been as "trained/conditioned" as is portrayed in the hideous info dump regarding the sex slaves.

Even within the GAULS lurks a bit of humanity. Hard to dispense with that element.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Brigade XO   » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:45 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

I had forgotten all the upgrades Harlap got. Stuff like the EM sensors and oxygen supply are cool and all as is the night vision and the new regen is going to be a major hit.

Then there is the Prolong "booster". That opens up a lot of interesting lines of questions including what are the limitations of adding it to someobody depending on which version/generation of Prolong they got?
Also, if it can drastically extend the effects (and this was to whatever generation of Prolong was being given to Gendarmes so it would be a "common" SL medical treatment) what -if any- effect would it have on persons who had not had any Prolong before they aged out of the ability of their bodies to incorporate Prolong.

This also means that the Alignment, it's senior levels and major players, are also going to have much longer lifespans than probably event 3rd gen Prolong recipients. It also raises the question of if the Alpha and some other lines were being modified to incorporate things suggested by the advances in Alignment Prolong treatments such that their both normal (without Prolong) lifespan was extended and that the effectiveness of Prolong was extended.
Fun stuff like Albrects's children are going to be around and actively invoved for a few hundred years instead of "only" 150 or so. 300 year old Alpha Alignment demigods....not a pleasent thought.
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:54 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

quite possibly a cat wrote:

Scrags are descendants of the Ukrainian super-soldiers. I'm not sure what they were called, but they did have people to ride herd.

But the ones we've been shown are fanatics. Real fanatics who would calmly die for the cause if need be. One self-destructed a slaver-ship with himself on board. I don't think we saw this from the People's Commissioners.

You're conflating two groups of people. Yana T. and a lot of the Queen of Torch's palace guard is Scags. They're super-soldiers, but hardly fanatics. We saw a bunch of them in From the Highlands. Quite a few operate out of Mesa as mercenaries.

The GAULs are a group of fanatics that are used by the inner onion as enforcers. They have no relationship to the Scags.

Return to Honorverse