Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests

Washington Free Beacon NavyCon 11/18/17 - MWW mentioned

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Washington Free Beacon NavyCon 11/18/17 - MWW mentioned
Post by Charybdis   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:54 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

Shades of John Ringo's conference of military & SciFi in his "A Hymn Before Battle", there was a similar gathering at the immediate past November 18th, where real military interacts with MWW and other SciFi luminaries at the first NavyCon, held at the USNA in Annapolis. I only now heard of this and am looking for other info or YouTube coverage, but you gotta smile at some of the coverage I found on http://freebeacon.com/national-security/inside-navys-nerdfest/ the Washington Free Beacon for today, 12/03/17.
The conference room across from the model is now crammed with the best-dressed nerds the United States military has to offer. They are here for NavyCon, which is like ComicCon, but for the "rough men [who] stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
NavyCon started off as a joke on Twitter by naval officers and military historians over the summer. Academy instructor and museum director Claude Berube saw the jokey hot takes and arguments over Star Wars, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, and other programs, and realized there were important lessons to pass on to the next generation of officers. He cobbled together a dozen presenters, many with doctorates, active duty commissions, Marine veteran and Congressman Mike Gallagher (R., Wisc.), and popular sci-fi author David Weber to deliver shockingly prescient lessons about military strategy and warfare.
Wow, wish I could have been there! I see that mentions of NavyCon were posted but I did not find detail like this - hope it brings some smiles!
-----

What say you, my peers?

Return to Honorverse