Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 41 guests

[SPOILER!!]A question to "A call to vengeance"

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
[SPOILER!!]A question to "A call to vengeance"
Post by Eagleeye   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:58 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

You're warned ...

So, here'e the question: Who wins the coin-toss at the end of the book?
(and, by the way - where's book 4??)
:lol: :P :mrgreen:
Re: [SPOILER!!]A question to "A call to vengeance"
Post by Dauntless   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:43 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

it is a good question.

while he can do the spy stuff his heart belongs to the navy so i hope that the admiral won.
Post by d-eye   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:40 pm

d-eye
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

why not both?
(though not necessarily at the same time)
Post by Michael Everett   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:35 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

d-eye wrote:why not both?)

But what happens if it landed on its edge?
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by feyhunde   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:38 pm

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

Eagleeye wrote:So, here'e the question: Who wins the coin-toss at the end of the book?

Actually I take the other approach. I feel like the trilogy has been expanded beyond need, and feels dragged out. We know where it ends. There's no suspense. Travis also has never felt compelling to me. I'm not emotionally invested in his story, I'm invested in the SKM.

I won't buy an e-arc for book 4.
Post by Eagleeye   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:04 pm

Eagleeye
Commodore

feyhunde wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:So, here'e the question: Who wins the coin-toss at the end of the book?

Actually I take the other approach. I feel like the trilogy has been expanded beyond need, and feels dragged out. We know where it ends. There's no suspense. Travis also has never felt compelling to me. I'm not emotionally invested in his story, I'm invested in the SKM.

I won't buy an e-arc for book 4.

Yes, we know where it ends. But ... some story-arcs are still open, I think. Three of them come to my mind rather forcefully:
1) Does Axelrod of Terra survives its attack against Manticore?
2)How is it, that Manticore get its knowledge of the existance of the Wormhole-junction? I doubt somehow that that info is hidden in the files of the Mercenary-outfit they took out in Silesia, and the Axelrod-operative escaped, after all. All they know for sure at the end of CTV is, that someone in the League wants them killed or at least sufficiently neutralized, but they don't know the reason why.
3)Will there be an additional attack against the Star-Kingdom or not? (probably not, but the reason why could be of interest - because it could be connected to the further fate of Axelrod)
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:51 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Eagleeye wrote:You're warned ...

So, here'e the question: Who wins the coin-toss at the end of the book?
:

There's an even bigger question: Will she, or won't she? Yes or No?

Edited to delete extraneous question about some fourth book in a trilogy.
Last edited by Fox2! on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Braudel26   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:08 pm

Braudel26
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Eagleeye wrote:...
2)How is it, that Manticore get its knowledge of the existance of the Wormhole-junction? I doubt somehow that that info is hidden in the files of the Mercenary-outfit they took out in Silesia, and the Axelrod-operative escaped, after all. All they know for sure at the end of CTV is, that someone in the League wants them killed or at least sufficiently neutralized, but they don't know the reason why.
3)Will there be an additional attack against the Star-Kingdom or not? (probably not, but the reason why could be of interest - because it could be connected to the further fate of Axelrod)
[/quote]

Well we know from the House of lies the answer to Q3 : if there is another battle it won't be in Manticore space, because the 1543 attack is the only one before the 20th century PD.
Strange though because Llyn seems still motivated at the end by the high stakes of the Junction !?
For Q1 you're right the name Axelrod does not appear among the transtellars in Honor's time so they may have a problem... though maybe it's a simple brand renaming or merger !
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:44 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Braudel26 wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:...

For Q1 you're right the name Axelrod does not appear among the transtellars in Honor's time so they may have a problem... though maybe it's a simple brand renaming or merger !

There is only one reference to Axelrod in Honor's time:

Cauldron of Ghosts
Chapter Twenty-seven wrote:
In Ferenc’s experience, the documentation for real shipping concerns got frayed at the edges after a while.

Not that of this additional traffic, though. Their credentials and bona fides and bills of lading looked like they’d just come out of the virtual presses at the headquarters of Manpower, the Jessyk Combine, Axelrod Transtellar, and Technodyne.

They had serious backing behind them, too. Any questions beyond the routine ones got stonewalled—and both times she’d tried to push a little, Csilla had gotten slapped down by her superiors.

That may be Eric Flint's contribution and just glossed over by RFC as not worth correcting.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Erls   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:09 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

I think it is a win-win. As in, Long remains in the Navy but his orders are subject to Delphi oversight. Basically, if Delphi is running an operation our of Manticoran space they might "request" that Long (and Chomps) are assigned to the unit (along with potentially others) in order to carry out additional missions. Likewise, while Long is assigned to ships in Manticoran space (or as a teacher), his schedule is done in a way that allows for time to be spent at Delphi doing additional work.

One big question I have is the following: Do we see the founding of the Hauptman Cartel? It seems more likely that not - to me at least - that the basis of the Hauptman fortune is likely to reside in them building/running the first Manticoran-based impeller node facility. That control/ownership/etc would certainly explain how powerful the family has become - they were first among all in Manticoran shipbuilding. The naval contracts alone would make them rich (for Manticore), and once the WJ is added in and all the maritime traffic that additional orders would make them rich on a galaxy wide scale.

Return to Honorverse