Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests

[SPOILER!!]A question to "A call to vengeance"

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [SPOILER!!]A question to "A call to vengeance"
Post by Rincewind   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:28 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

I only have one question.

At the beginning of the book in the first chapter do they threaten Travis Long with that dreaded torture device 'The Comfy Chair?'
Post by pappilon   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:40 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Rincewind wrote:I only have one question.

At the beginning of the book in the first chapter do they threaten Travis Long with that dreaded torture device 'The Comfy Chair?'

Hamish Alexander is currently riding one. Dame Honor is trying hard to avoid having one. Admiral Gold peak is sure she is attached to one. No true naval officer wants a cozy desk job planet-side.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Rincewind   » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:12 am

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

pappilon wrote:

Hamish Alexander is currently riding one. Dame Honor is trying hard to avoid having one. Admiral Gold peak is sure she is attached to one. No true naval officer wants a cozy desk job planet-side.

I think what I should have said was, 'threaten Travis Long with the soft cushions and if that failed then threaten him with that dreaded torture device 'The Comfy Chair?'

Actually the Comfy Chair' might have worked on Honor as 'all you get at eleven is a cup of coffee' and Honor loathes coffee.
Post by Dca   » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:48 pm

Dca
Lieutenant Commander

Eagleeye wrote:So, here'e the question: Who wins the coin-toss at the end of the book?

Fox2! wrote:There's an even bigger question: Will she, or won't she? Yes or No?

Of course she will! She couldn't be so cruel as to invite The Question if she was going to say no.
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:09 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Eagleeye wrote:So, here'e the question: Who wins the coin-toss at the end of the book?
Dca wrote:Of course she will! She couldn't be so cruel as to invite The Question if she was going to say no.

Of course she says yes. Since Winterfall is Foreign Affairs Minister, it follows that Countess Clavingdell won the toss. What a perfect cover for for an SIS agent; a frigate or DD commander training his crew while shepherding the Foreign Minister to Sol. Winterfell tries to make allies while Chomps and Travis perform their skull doggery. Heck, let's keep it in the family and have Lisa actually command the DD with Travis as XO.

This way Locatelli keeps Travis training the RMN's crews and Clavingdell has her agent looking into who is funding the attacks against Manticore.

As an aside, I thought this book was the best written one of the series so far.
Post by Dca   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:04 pm

Dca
Lieutenant Commander

PeterZ wrote:Of course she says yes. Since Winterfall is Foreign Affairs Minister, it follows that Countess Clavingdell won the toss. What a perfect cover for for an SIS agent; a frigate or DD commander training his crew while shepherding the Foreign Minister to Sol. Winterfell tries to make allies while Chomps and Travis perform their skull doggery. Heck, let's keep it in the family and have Lisa actually command the DD with Travis as XO.

This way Locatelli keeps Travis training the RMN's crews and Clavingdell has her agent looking into who is funding the attacks against Manticore.

Did I miss something, or are you presenting a hypothetical as fact? I thought Winterfall was being considered as foreign minister but far from confirmed. But I like the thought that Travis splits the RMN/SIS divide. I don't think having a couple as Captain+XO would work, tho.

After the revelations this time, I would certainly hope the navy gets more attention! And yes this one had good flow.
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:31 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Dca wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Of course she says yes. Since Winterfall is Foreign Affairs Minister, it follows that Countess Clavingdell won the toss. What a perfect cover for for an SIS agent; a frigate or DD commander training his crew while shepherding the Foreign Minister to Sol. Winterfell tries to make allies while Chomps and Travis perform their skull doggery. Heck, let's keep it in the family and have Lisa actually command the DD with Travis as XO.

Did I miss something, or are you presenting a hypothetical as fact? I thought Winterfall was being considered as foreign minister but far from confirmed. But I like the thought that Travis splits the RMN/SIS divide. I don't think having a couple as Captain+XO would work, tho.

After the revelations this time, I would certainly hope the navy gets more attention! And yes this one had good flow.

So far there hasn't been mention of fraternization rules. Perhaps, there aren't any yet and our lovely couple is the reason for those rules.

Well one assumes those suggestions Her Majesty offered foreshadow the next book. As for the coin toss, just speculating.
Post by Fox2!   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:44 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Dca wrote:

Of course she will! She couldn't be so cruel as to invite The Question if she was going to say no.

I suspect that that is true. She was definitely telling him to speak his mind.
Post by Sharidann   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:23 am

Sharidann
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

This one is a no-brainer.
Sure there are some types of women or girls out there who let guys hanging and when they pop the question, delight in telling them "Sorry but no!"
But from what we know of Donnelly she isn't the type: if she didn't want him to pop the question, she would have told him already and would have had an entirely different behavior.
Fox2! wrote:
I suspect that that is true. She was definitely telling him to speak his mind.
Post by Rincewind   » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

pappilon wrote:

Did you deliberately misconstrue what I asked or did you honestly not get what I was referring to?

Return to Honorverse