Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

[SPOILER!!]A question to "A call to vengeance"

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [SPOILER!!]A question to "A call to vengeance"
Post by Frankjg   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:52 pm

Frankjg
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I found it to be wonderful book. That left several threads hanging. Almost as book 4 is needed to finish them.

I think it would be wonderful to end it on when the truth about the attack is discovered, by whom and for why it was done?
Post by Theemile   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:02 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Frankjg wrote:I found it to be wonderful book. That left several threads hanging. Almost as book 4 is needed to finish them.

I think it would be wonderful to end it on when the truth about the attack is discovered, by whom and for why it was done?

I've been under the assumption for awhile that the "Trilogy" has gone out the window, hence the name change from the Travis Long Trilogy to Manticore Ascendant Saga.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by pappilon   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:03 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:
Frankjg wrote:I found it to be wonderful book. That left several threads hanging. Almost as book 4 is needed to finish them.

I've been under the assumption for awhile that the "Trilogy" has gone out the window, hence the name change from the Travis Long Trilogy to Manticore Ascendant Saga.

There was a rumor a year or so ago that the series would run 5-6 books.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by George J. Smith   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:12 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

pappilon wrote:
There was a rumor a year or so ago that the series would run 5-6 books.

As another poster stated in another thread, to rfc, trilogy usually means 7 or 8 books :D
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Direwolf18   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:44 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Yea about half way through this book I knew it wouldn't end with three. In no way surprised but this confirmed it. Which is totally fine by me I am enjoying it a lot. I hope this series does not simply end with the first transit to Beowulf, I would not mind a bit of a time skip as things progress and the RMN becomes an actual navy and not what it is now. You can see the glimmers of a true professional navy there, but so much is a shambling disaster.
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:25 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

from rfc himself on the About the schedule thread:

rfc wrote:
Next next next project (probably concurrent with the fantasy novel); sequel to A Call to Vengeance. (There are supposed to be at least four more books in this series.)

my bolding
T&R
GJS

Post by Rincewind   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:22 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

Eagleeye wrote:Yes, we know where it ends. But ... some story-arcs are still open, I think. Three of them come to my mind rather forcefully:
1) Does Axelrod of Terra survives its attack against Manticore?
2)How is it, that Manticore get its knowledge of the existance of the Wormhole-junction? I doubt somehow that that info is hidden in the files of the Mercenary-outfit they took out in Silesia, and the Axelrod-operative escaped, after all. All they know for sure at the end of CTV is, that someone in the League wants them killed or at least sufficiently neutralized, but they don't know the reason why.
3)Will there be an additional attack against the Star-Kingdom or not? (probably not, but the reason why could be of interest - because it could be connected to the further fate of Axelrod)

I can't answer any of your other questions but as regards your first one Axelrod definitely survives as in one of the books, (Cauldron of Ghosts I believe), it is listed as one of the Transtellars that have corporate headquarters on Mesa.
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:03 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

Rincewind wrote:I can't answer any of your other questions but as regards your first one Axelrod definitely survives as in one of the books, (Cauldron of Ghosts I believe), it is listed as one of the Transtellars that have corporate headquarters on Mesa.

Which brings up the question, was the wormhole junction discovered before or after the Deitweilers left Beowulf for Mesa? If it was after then the capture of Manticor, and subsequently the MWJ could have been part of Leonard's long term strategy.
T&R
GJS

Post by Theemile   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:12 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Rincewind wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:Yes, we know where it ends. But ... some story-arcs are still open, I think. Three of them come to my mind rather forcefully:
1) Does Axelrod of Terra survives its attack against Manticore?
2)How is it, that Manticore get its knowledge of the existance of the Wormhole-junction? I doubt somehow that that info is hidden in the files of the Mercenary-outfit they took out in Silesia, and the Axelrod-operative escaped, after all. All they know for sure at the end of CTV is, that someone in the League wants them killed or at least sufficiently neutralized, but they don't know the reason why.
3)Will there be an additional attack against the Star-Kingdom or not? (probably not, but the reason why could be of interest - because it could be connected to the further fate of Axelrod)

I can't answer any of your other questions but as regards your first one Axelrod definitely survives as in one of the books, (Cauldron of Ghosts I believe), it is listed as one of the Transtellars that have corporate headquarters on Mesa.

Adding to the Timeline, we are currently at ~1544/45 PD. Historicaly, The last attack on the Manticorian system was in 1543, and Queen Elizabeth II was coronated in 1544.

-So there will not be another attack on the Manticorian home worlds until that smallish one 1921 pd. This says nothing, of course, about armed naval excursions outside the system executed in defense of the system.

The Manticorian Wormhole was discovered in 1585, or about another 40 years from this point in the story line.

-Politics or not, Travis should be an Admiral by then (or retired or dead). Manticore doesn't become a financial powerhouse until after the wormhole, nor does the RMN build Solarian designed BBs before that date.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by saber964   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:14 pm

saber964
Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
Rincewind wrote:I can't answer any of your other questions but as regards your first one Axelrod definitely survives as nin one of the books, (Cauldron of Ghosts I believe), it is listed as one of the Transtellars that have corporate headquarters on Mesa.

Which brings up the question, was the wormhole junction discovered before or after the Deitweilers left Beowulf for Mesa? If it was after then the capture of Manticor, and subsequently the MWJ could have been part of Leonard's long term strategy.

The MWJ was discovered after Deitweiler left for Mesa. IIRC MWJ discovered 1585 PD, Mesa settled 1460 PD.

Return to Honorverse