Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

Any news from Honorcon 2017?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Any news from Honorcon 2017?
Post by Daryl   » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:31 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Apparently it's a new literary first. An alternative history based on an existing alternative history.
It's how Haven would have turned out if Eloise Pritchard had not survived past childhood.

roseandheather wrote:
kzt wrote:It’s only a trilogy, so he’ll have it done in no more than 7, maybe 8 books.

::chokes on tea::

Hang on, are you saying it's real? Like, it's an actual thing he actually has tentative plans to do?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I thought it was a pipe dream and I'd have to content myself with my imagination and whatever dribs and drabs His Celeryness cared to drop my way! I didn't think it was a thing that might actually happen!

::eyes you suspiciously:: Pics or it didn't happen. 8-)
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:13 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Daryl wrote:Apparently it's a new literary first. An alternative history based on an existing alternative history.
It's how Haven would have turned out if Eloise Pritchard had not survived past childhood.

Okay now you're just being rude. :evil:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by NervousEnergy   » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:21 pm

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

JohnRoth wrote:
NervousEnergy wrote:Any news on what he's working on now? I'd assume it's Safehold, but any word from Himself would be neat.

Considering at MantiCon he read a chapter about Bolthole, more Haven stuff seems likely ( and considering my position in TRMN, eagerly awaited.

Yeah, I'm curious what he's working on *now* and how things are looking. He sticks pretty close to his announced schedule, usually, for what gets worked on... it's the timing of things that are subject to health and the winds of fate. And according the schedule he posted in June he should be wrapping up the next Safehold book soon.

The interesting thing is that both Safehold and UH are 'second half 2018.' We know UH is October (IIRC), so I'd think Tor wouldn't want two big hardbacks from the same author on the shelves at the same time. Interesting to see how that gets resolved.
Post by kzt   » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:48 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:

Hang on, are you saying it's real? Like, it's an actual thing he actually has tentative plans to do?

I thought it was a pipe dream and I'd have to content myself with my imagination and whatever dribs and drabs His Celeryness cared to drop my way! I didn't think it was a thing that might actually happen!

Sadly, I made it up.

I have no idea. I have heard vague rumblings that Baen has not always been prompt with paying David and my impression is that Tor - despite that series failing to interest me - has been. So, given that David will have multiple kids in college and some serious medical issues in his family, I have my doubts he'll be focusing much on the books I'd like him to write.

But I'd like to be wrong.
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:31 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:
roseandheather wrote:

Sadly, I made it up.

I have no idea. I have heard vague rumblings that Baen has not always been prompt with paying David and my impression is that Tor - despite that series failing to interest me - has been. So, given that David will have multiple kids in college and some serious medical issues in his family, I have my doubts he'll be focusing much on the books I'd like him to write.

Much as I hate to doubt you, it is the Honor Harrington books that really sell and give RFC the prestige to do the other series.

I've heard it was health issues slowing things down. Keep in mind that by far the very high proportion of the Safehold series sale comes from libraries. I actually still have a Barnes and Noble near me. Much of the Honorverse is represented on the shelves. Right now, there are no books from Safehold.
Post by Theemile   » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:02 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
Much as I hate to doubt you, it is the Honor Harrington books that really sell and give RFC the prestige to do the other series.

I've heard it was health issues slowing things down. Keep in mind that by far the very high proportion of the Safehold series sale comes from libraries. I actually still have a Barnes and Noble near me. Much of the Honorverse is represented on the shelves. Right now, there are no books from Safehold.

Safehold is far from unpopular. Just look at its Forum, it has 57,000 posts to Honorverse's 75,000, making it the 2nd busiest forum. I do know a few who prefer it over the Honorverse as of late.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Direwolf18   » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:28 am

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

I forgot where it was said, but yea TOR pays notably better for Safehold. So Mr. Weber will make a fair bit more on a Safehold book then a Honor Harrington book even if the HH might sell better. Its apparently the reason safehold has always taken priority over Honor Harrington.

And as Theemile said looking at forum activity alone Safehold is pretty darn popular. The novels are consistently on the NYT best selling list etc.
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:32 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Direwolf18 wrote:I forgot where it was said, but yea TOR pays notably better for Safehold. So Mr. Weber will make a fair bit more on a Safehold book then a Honor Harrington book even if the HH might sell better. Its apparently the reason safehold has always taken priority over Honor Harrington.

And as Theemile said looking at forum activity alone Safehold is pretty darn popular. The novels are consistently on the NYT best selling list etc.

A lot of books make the list in their first week. The library purchases will ensure that. STAYING on the list more than a couple of weeks is far more difficult.

And my point was that it is HH universe that drives the bus even if RFC does make more money. Also, there has not been a mainline book for several years in the series. Shadow of Victory was rather weak and Cauldron, while very good, focused on only one small area.

I'd bet Uncompromising Honor will bring in a lot of interest.
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:37 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

kzt wrote:Sadly, I made it up.

I thought so. :(

That said, if Himself wants to farm out anything Haven-related, I am available... ::waggles eyebrows::

Far be it for me to argue with more Safehold, because I love that series, but I have so much more history with the Honorverse that I do hope he continues writing in it, to the extent that he can. Just call me Greedy Guts. :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by olddatsunfan   » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:23 am

olddatsunfan
Ensign

I'm actually OK with anything David is working on. A new safehold book, great! A new Honour Harrington novel great! Bring on all and sundry and I'll read them!

Return to Honorverse