Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

Can a Roland carry Marines?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Can a Roland carry Marines?
Post by kzt   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:20 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

At worst you dedicate a small craft to the marines, so they leave their power armor etc on it. But I suspect the squadron briefing room is perfectly capable of storing a platoons worth of gear. Everything other then heavy weapons and power armor you can store in the quarters, where their armored skin suits would be stored.
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:42 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:At worst you dedicate a small craft to the marines, so they leave their power armor etc on it. But I suspect the squadron briefing room is perfectly capable of storing a platoons worth of gear. Everything other then heavy weapons and power armor you can store in the quarters, where their armored skin suits would be stored.

The problem is that a commodore (or admiral's) staff is limited to a handful of individuals who have set places to work.

A group of marines would effectively be imprisoned. No gym and these are people who work hard at keeping in shape. They require a lot of feeding as well. What would they do all day? And some missions might require them to be shipboard for a year or more.

I know some people say they could take over gun mounts, etc., but Rolands already have people to do that. After all, if this is a command ship, regular crew members would do the jobs.

The large ships have enough cubage to allow the marines space to work out and practice.
Post by Relax   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:06 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
kzt wrote:At worst you dedicate a small craft to the marines, so they leave their power armor etc on it. But I suspect the squadron brie

A group of marines would effectively be imprisoned. No gym

What ship does not have a gym or range today? None. What ship does not have a gym or range in the HV? None. As for the rest, what world do you live on? Nothing to do? Good grief, you must have no one you know in the military. As Cachat demonstrates in the HV, simulation can do most everything. Or you could figure out that the Marines on board USN ships or old school RMN ships in wooden hulls routinely "sail" around the world for 6 months at a time with "nothing" to do and no place in which to "do it". Open a book(suggest the library), or better yet, go meat(pun intended) a marine or army puke or rub a few braincells together outside your VERY narrow box mind...
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Duckk   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:59 am

Duckk
Site Admin

Relax wrote:What ship does not have a gym or range today? None. What ship does not have a gym or range in the HV? None. As for the rest, what world do you live on? Nothing to do? Good grief, you must have no one you know in the military. As Cachat demonstrates in the HV, simulation can do most everything. Or you could figure out that the Marines on board USN ships or old school RMN ships in wooden hulls routinely "sail" around the world for 6 months at a time with "nothing" to do and no place in which to "do it". Open a book(suggest the library), or better yet, go meat(pun intended) a marine or army puke or rub a few braincells together outside your VERY narrow box mind...

I have repeatedly warned you that insults are not appreciated on this board. I have told you months ago that any further infractions would result in punishment. Since you have failed to learn your lesson, enjoy your month long vacation from the board.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by robert132   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:08 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:Talk to some members of Uncle Sams Misguided Children who spent a float on the wonderful accommodations of an old LSD. Somehow they were still capable of being effective.

Ah, but here's the thing ... an LSD is a "Gator freighter" (slang for amphibious assault ship.) They were and are intended to support a number of 'Misguided Children' both aboard and after they put their butts ashore to play in the sand and mud. The ship includes space for a Marine armory, magazines for Marines weapons and ammo, a well deck for landing craft (Honorverse Assault Shuttles,) berthing and workout rooms.

Even the first LSDs that hit the water during WWII were fairly well thought out. What the USN and other navies use today are refinements of the original concept.

My last ship (USS Nassau (LHA 4)) was something along those same lines but writ LARGE, about the size of a WWII Essex class CV; 820 feet long, over 40,000 tons loaded for bear, capable of landing and supporting a full battalion of Marines (1,800 officers and troops) AND all of their equipment and vehicles (including 12 tanks) for up to 30 days from ship's stores. We also supported up to 40 helos and Harriers.

An Honorverse LHA equivalent would probably be DN size or larger, capable of supporting perhaps a Regiment or more IMO.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by kzt   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:16 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

robert132 wrote:My last ship (USS Nassau (LHA 4)) was something along those same lines but writ LARGE, about the size of a WWII Essex class CV; 820 feet long, over 40,000 tons loaded for bear, capable of landing and supporting a full battalion of Marines (1,800 officers and troops) AND all of their equipment and vehicles (including 12 tanks) for up to 30 days from ship's stores. We also supported up to 40 helos and Harriers.

How large is a Rolland? How does that compare in size? And how big was the swimming pool and gym on the Nassau?
Post by robert132   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:21 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:To revisit this for xth time....

I suspect the squadron staff consists of:

The squadron CO. O5 (1) Who is entitled to an orderly. (2) XO O4 (probably in another ship normally) with an orderly. The Operations officer O4 (3) Communications officer O2-3 (4) Logistics officer O2-3 (5) Personnel officer O2-3 (6) Squadron chief NCO (7) At least 5 enlisted clerks etc (12).

Then we have possibly the flag lieutenant O1-2, the tactical officer O2-3, the EW officer O2-3, a squadron astrogator O2-3, etc, most of whom have enlisted assistants. Are they supposed to run 24-7? Need more people.

So we have at least one 05, one 04, 3 O2-4, One senior NCO, 6 junior enlisted. We quite possibly instead have one O5, one O4, 6 O2-3, one O1, one senior NCO, two to four midgrade NCOs, eight to twelve junior enlisted.

I suspect you can accommodate 12 marines in the billeting designed for the 12+ members of the command staff.

How many marines could be accommodated in the normal CO quarters on ship? The one with the dining room, etc? How about the Operations officers quarters?

I suspect that you could accommodate at least two squads easily and possibly an entire platoon.

And since the CO's quarters has food storage and preparation capability they can feed the marines too.

You convert the flag bridge into the storage area for weapons and such. Battle armor might be a problem, but it all depends on have big the squadron briefing room/conference room is.

A deployed DD squadron would probably have a Captain (O6) as Commodore, an LCDR or CDR (O4 or O5) as Chief of Staff, an Intel Officer (O3 or O4,) Operations Officer (O4,) two or three other junior officers filling other staff positions and a couple of senior enlisteds. This is pretty much what DESRON 22 had when he embarked in my destroyer for an 8 month long (scheduled 6 month) Mediterranian / Black Sea cruise in '85-'86. He actually had 4 to 5 destroyers and an Aegis cruiser under his command but never flew his flag in the cruiser. I have no idea why not.

We had no "Flag Deck" or Flag Bridge as a carrier or battleship did. Neither did the Aegis ship.

Post by robert132   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:29 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:How large is a Rolland? How does that compare in size? And how big was the swimming pool and gym on the Nassau?

Swimming pool? We had the whole bleedin' ocean. :lol: Swim call once or twice during the cruise and a number of gators will flood the well deck occasionally for the same purpose.

The workout room in the Nassau was located forward, just under the flight deck, was complete with Nautilus and free weights, 'bikes and the whole inventory of other modern "Gold's Gym" equipment. About 30 to 50 grunts and sailors could workout at a time in there, plus there were acres of flight deck, hanger deck and vehicle ramps to run on.

The workout room was just the other side of a very thin bulkhead (wall) from my berthing compartment. Every time a jarhead dropped his weights ... :evil: And at sea it was in use 24/7.

Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:37 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

robert132 wrote:
kzt wrote:How large is a Rolland? How does that compare in size? And how big was the swimming pool and gym on the Nassau?

Swimming pool? We had the whole bleedin' ocean. :lol: Swim call once or twice during the cruise and a number of gators will flood the well deck occasionally for the same purpose.

The workout room in the Nassau was located forward, just under the flight deck, was complete with Nautilus and free weights, 'bikes and the whole inventory of other modern "Gold's Gym" equipment. About 30 to 50 grunts and sailors could workout at a time in there, plus there were acres of flight deck, hanger deck and vehicle ramps to run on.

Note that this was a ship designed to carry marines. Space as set aside for them.

On a Roland, there was not that much space. Yes, there probably was a gym. Sailors can work out. But Marines will want to do even more. They need a place to hang out and they need work to do.

On US Navy transports, provisions have been made for that. Not so, almost certainly, for the Rolands.

Also, I am not certain that a commodore would have a chief of staff...not much staff, after all. And in tight spaces, the fewer the better.

The workout room was just the other side of a very thin bulkhead (wall) from my berthing compartment. Every time a jarhead dropped his weights ... :evil: And at sea it was in use 24/7.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
robert132 wrote:My last ship (USS Nassau (LHA 4)) was something along those same lines but writ LARGE, about the size of a WWII Essex class CV; 820 feet long, over 40,000 tons loaded for bear, capable of landing and supporting a full battalion of Marines (1,800 officers and troops) AND all of their equipment and vehicles (including 12 tanks) for up to 30 days from ship's stores. We also supported up to 40 helos and Harriers.

How large is a Rolland? How does that compare in size? And how big was the swimming pool and gym on the Nassau?

While I know KZT is just being rhetorical

Roland: 188750 tons
Length: 446 M 1463 feet
Beam: 54 M 177 feet
Draught: 45 M 148 feet

For Comparison:

Freedom Tower
Height: 1362 feet (Observation deck)
Length: 200 feet
Width : 200 feet

So even a Roland is .... Kinda big....
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse