Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

Is colonization still a thing?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Is colonization still a thing?
Post by Rednek731   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:29 pm

Rednek731
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I've only ever read the main novels (and shadows of freedom and victory), so I don't know if there is still an unexplored/uncolonized frontier in the Honorverse galaxy that I hadn't seen in the writing. Can anyone help me out?
Re: Is colonization still a thing?
Post by feyhunde   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:17 pm

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

Rednek731 wrote:I've only ever read the main novels (and shadows of freedom and victory), so I don't know if there is still an unexplored/uncolonized frontier in the Honorverse galaxy that I hadn't seen in the writing. Can anyone help me out?

I feel like it was mentioned a few times regarding Basilisk being a jumping off point. The big thing is we're in a fairly settled sector in terms of planets colonized, with the big Haven sector rush being a few hundred years ago. But, we see only a few really big population systems in the sector. Haven, Manticore, Grayson and Masada. The other Alliance members aren't as developed or populated as fair as we can tell. And most of the worlds around Haven are daughter colonies from the old republic days.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:27 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Rednek731 wrote:I've only ever read the main novels (and shadows of freedom and victory), so I don't know if there is still an unexplored/uncolonized frontier in the Honorverse galaxy that I hadn't seen in the writing. Can anyone help me out?

The answer is yes!

The Matapan terminus leads to a cluster where all the planets are less than 100 years old, and Manticore provides overall protection for the planets.

Also, if you do the math, a cryo ship which left Earth the year before Warshawski detectors was detected, would just be passing Manticore currently. So there are roughly 600 years worth of sub-light colony ships still swimming through n-space toward their destinations.

In Torch of Freedom, we found that there is a group of people, moving away from Solarian authority. The planets of the Mayan sector were colonized this way. Most of their ancestors had moved every 2 or 3 generations, trying to stay on the frontier ahead of the growth of the Solarian League.

So it's going on all the time - we are just not seeing It as a portion of the main story.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:47 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Technically, I'd say the denizens of Refuge are still in the process of colonizing. They've had a setback or three.

And who knows what is transpiring in and around the MAlign system.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pappilon   » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:27 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Technically, I'd say the denizens of Refuge are still in the process of colonizing. They've had a setback or three.

And who knows what is transpiring in and around the MAlign system.

I agree, there are stars beyond the current fringe As planet populations grow, there will always be the political/economic also-rans seeking greener pastures on the other side of known/explored space. The plot is focused on two insignificant specs offly dirt on the back side of beyond with a great vasty darkness beyond even that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:28 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:

The answer is yes!

The Matapan terminus leads to a cluster where all the planets are less than 100 years old, and Manticore provides overall protection for the planets.

Also, if you do the math, a cryo ship which left Earth the year before Warshawski detectors was detected, would just be passing Manticore currently. So there are roughly 600 years worth of sub-light colony ships still swimming through n-space toward their destinations.

In Torch of Freedom, we found that there is a group of people, moving away from Solarian authority. The planets of the Mayan sector were colonized this way. Most of their ancestors had moved every 2 or 3 generations, trying to stay on the frontier ahead of the growth of the Solarian League.

So it's going on all the time - we are just not seeing It as a portion of the main story.

Thinking more about that, we would see tend to see 'modern' colonisation as a series of 'footprints' or spheres around the mouth of each wormhole - a bit like the ripples left by stone skimmed on the surface of a pond. [spheres in the loosest sence of course]
Post by NHBL   » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:06 pm

NHBL
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Right back in On Basilisk Station, IIRC, there was a reference to heavy cruisers not often being used for survey duty, implying that the Royal Navy does do survey duty, and not just on new wormholes.

Return to Honorverse