Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jonathan_S and 126 guests

How To Abandon Ship?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: How To Abandon Ship?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:46 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Yes, space is big. And those missiles may originally showcase that much elbow room between them, but at the end of their run they will converge on their assigned target(s). And if it is a launch from the Havenites—post Committee of Public Safety—where they've gotten themselves back on balance, the brunt of those missiles will be converging on a few targets. And if the timing of your evacuation for whatever reason is late, well, then you have the best seat in the house.

Also, from a Havenite or SLN perspective facing the RMN, Apollo's brood of missiles are very close together. Even before Apollo, the RMN was always spreading its fire amongst a few targets. Where at the end of their run they converge for a bit of fun. Heeeere's Johnny 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...

They do converge. But with a laserhead standoff range between 30,000 km and 50,000 km they're still not exactly close by.

And yet, even at that distance something causes catastrophic losses, to proximity soft-kill, of pods towed outside the wedge. So you're not getting caught in nuclear fireballs. And since most formations are relatively flat it's unlikely you'd end up between the laserheads and another ship, so you're unlikely to be in the way of either an inbound laserhead's laser or an outbound PDLC (or much worse CM). But whatever is getting all those pods might get you too.
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:17 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:Yes, space is big. And those missiles may originally showcase that much elbow room between them, but at the end of their run they will converge on their assigned target(s). And if it is a launch from the Havenites—post Committee of Public Safety—where they've gotten themselves back on balance, the brunt of those missiles will be converging on a few targets. And if the timing of your evacuation for whatever reason is late, well, then you have the best seat in the house.

Also, from a Havenite or SLN perspective facing the RMN, Apollo's brood of missiles are very close together. Even before Apollo, the RMN was always spreading its fire amongst a few targets. Where at the end of their run they converge for a bit of fun. Heeeere's Johnny 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...

They do converge. But with a laserhead standoff range between 30,000 km and 50,000 km they're still not exactly close by.

And yet, even at that distance something causes catastrophic losses, to proximity soft-kill, of pods towed outside the wedge. So you're not getting caught in nuclear fireballs. And since most formations are relatively flat it's unlikely you'd end up between the laserheads and another ship, so you're unlikely to be in the way of either an inbound laserhead's laser or an outbound PDLC (or much worse CM). But whatever is getting all those pods might get you too.

Thanks for the further explanation Jonathan. But even in my original scenario, and I should have supplied the imagery in my head, the passing of the missiles zipping pass your pod might not actually be targeting your ship but en route to other ships further away in your formation which maintains a certain separation. In a fleet of many ships, there certainly could be missiles passing your location in the dead of night locked-on to your girlfriend's ship. Which is sad since you got to see her name written on the very missile that killed her as it passed as close as possible by your pod slobbering and winking at you. And now you have a serious case of PTSD and many sleepless nights of waking up all sweaty with that missile haunting you.

War is an awful mothertrucker that doesn't wear a condom.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:27 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Loren Pechtel wrote:
cthia wrote:People in the shower, bath or john would seem to be at a disadvantage. Also, the time available to abandon ship seems awfully short.

A warship at battle stations won't have anyone in the shower, bath or john. And if the abandon ship order goes out you're not going to let your attire stop you--you run for the pod or lifeboat even if you're naked.

Given how fast we have seen people get off a doomed ship it basically must mostly involve grav-boosted transport of some kind.

But a Passenger Liner certainly will.

And I would suspect it isn't totally impossible to happen aboard a warship. What about those in sick bay, and or those who have been ordered bed rest? They may be in the shower or john. Besides, remember when Honor's band of ships was ambushed at Yeltsin? There may have been people in the shower, bath or john when those missiles came in. A somewhat lucky BB could conceivably damage a ship during an ambush where inadequate warning is given causing a need to abandon ship literally catching you with your pants down.. No? ::shrug::

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:33 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I can't remember the particulars of Steilman and crews' incarceration. But during any unfortunate stay in the brig, is their fate left up to someone running to free them? Or is the brig too deep in the bowels of the ship that they enjoy that SOL status as well? Fate sealed, along with them?

If they are close enough to the skin of the ship, I certainly wouldn't think it is fair that someone has to waste precious time getting to them before they could head for a boat bay themselves.

I would imagine that their fate is sealed unless someone is posted at the brig continuously.

Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:47 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I wonder if boats or pods have collision alarms sounding when missiles are headed for its trajectory?

"Beep.......beep..........beep....beep beep beep beep, beepbeepbeepbeepbeep...beeeeeeeeeeep.......beep.......beep"

"Whew!"

Post by Fox2!   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:48 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

pappilon wrote:
There has never been a maritime law that the captain must go down with her ship, yet the crew is supposed to make sure the passengers are off before they evacuate.

To stand and be still
To the Birkenhead drill
Is a damned tough bullet to chew

Kipling, Soldier an Sailor Too

Royal Marines, soldiers of the 74th Regiment of Foot, the Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) (Second Foot), 43rd Light Infantry, 91st Argyllshire Regiment and six other Army units, sailors of the ship's company, maintained ranks on the poop deck of HMS Birkenhead as she was breaking up and sinking, to avoid swamping the few boats that got away with women and children after hitting a rock on the South African coast.

Best estimates* are that 194 of approximately 638 people on board survived the sinking, the sharks, and the surf and rocks.

*Because that's the one in Wiki

Her Majesty's Jollies! Soldiers an' Sailors too.
Post by Fox2!   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:51 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

cthia wrote:I can't remember the particulars of Steilman and crews' incarceration. But during any unfortunate stay in the brig, is their fate left up to someone running to free them? Or is the brig too deep in the bowels of the ship that they enjoy that SOL status as well? Fate sealed, along with them?

If they are close enough to the skin of the ship, I certainly wouldn't think it is fair that someone has to waste precious time getting to them before they could head for a boat bay themselves.

I would imagine that their fate is sealed unless someone is posted at the brig continuously.

IIRC, on Wayfarer, the brig was buried deep in the hull. Brig skinnies don't have radios, so if the MAs, ship's police, Marines (and probably the lesser malefactors as well) have all been dragged off into Damage Control parties, "In the brig, no one can hear you scream."
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:01 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

It seems like pods would be in danger from friendly launches as well. Are individual pods big enough to register on a ship's sensors before launching?

And what about the emergency maneuvering of ships out of formation to avoid friendlies breaking apart. Wouldn't unlucky pods in the wrong place at the right time be in danger of being run over?

They must have blips registering on CIC radar. But even so, emergency maneuverings, and uncontrolled maneuverings may put you in an even better seat in the rafters. Especially if CIC, and or radar is damaged and can't see you.

Post by Loren Pechtel   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:48 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:Are there sidewalls to worry about while abandoning ship? Or does the computer allow exit by momentarily opening a tiny window as with Star Trek's shields?

Well a ship is supposed to cut its wedge to indicate surrender, which should happen about the time you abondon ship - losing the wedge would drop all the sidewalls.

But even if the wedge stayed up the sidewalls are 10 km off each beam so it’s unlikely a pod would be shot out with enough force to cover 10 km before exiting the rear of the wedge. (Because once your far enough out to clear the compensator field, normally maybe a km or less, the ship zips away from you at several hundred gravities of acceleration. And a buckler wall seems a limit problem as it is about the diameter of the ships max width - so unless you bale straigh out the aft of the ship any course that clears the aft hammerhead would also clear an aft buckler wall.

Seems to me about the only way you could hit a sidewalk while abandoning ship is if they were dumb enough to cut accel to zero, leave the wedge and sidewalls up, and the ship survived long enough for the pods to drift 10 km into an intact sidewall. ,

I disagree. Pods have to be leaving the ship at great speed.

1) At Hell we saw that when a ship goes up in a big boom the flash is hot enough to severely damage nearby ships. That means it's utterly unsurvivable to a mere pod.

2) We have people getting off ships just before they explode. I'm not recalling the world, but it was 4 SLN BCs that at missile salvos. With roughly 30 seconds of warning there were survivors--that means that less than 30 seconds of flight time of a pod is sufficient to get considerably farther away than the ships were at Hell. While we don't have the numbers it almost certainly has to be beyond sidewall range--why would they park ships close enough together that nobody could bring up their main drive? It's not like they didn't have space to spread out farther than that and I can't imagine a warship captain boxing themselves in like that without reason.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:54 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

Grashtel wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:Though that doesn't help you survive the EMP from 'nearby' laserheads targeting other ships in your fleet. Life pods are probably pretty EMP hardened, but skinsuits could have a rougher time if you had to do a manual bailout.

EMP is not an issue in space, they are the result of the interaction of the plasma from the blast with a planetary magnetic field so in the absence of that don't happen to any significant degree.

Magnetic field?? My understanding of EMP is that it's due to the energy of the bomb ionizing the atmosphere. At low altitude the effect is fairly even but at high altitude the density is low and thus it spreads much farther--and the density is variable (a lot higher at the lowest point than the highest.) Nuclear-pumped charge difference with an ionization path between them--you get the mother of all lightning bolts.

Return to Honorverse