Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny, tlb and 53 guests

How To Abandon Ship?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: How To Abandon Ship?
Post by Grashtel   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:42 pm

Grashtel
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Are any of the crew ever told the truth?

"There's a nuclear bomb onboard mate. And she has a tendency to want to blow."

"There's a nuclear bomb onboard mate. Piss her off and she'll have a meltdown."

"There's a nuclear bomb held in captivity mate. And she has a tendency to try and escape."

What makes you think that the various ways fusion reactors can go wrong isn't common knowledge for anyone who studies starship engineering in anything but the most cursory fashion? Let alone anyone who is trained in engineering on a warship
Post by cthia   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:21 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Grashtel wrote:
cthia wrote:Are any of the crew ever told the truth?

"There's a nuclear bomb onboard mate. And she has a tendency to want to blow."

"There's a nuclear bomb onboard mate. Piss her off and she'll have a meltdown."

"There's a nuclear bomb held in captivity mate. And she has a tendency to try and escape."

What makes you think that the various ways fusion reactors can go wrong isn't common knowledge for anyone who studies starship engineering in anything but the most cursory fashion? Let alone anyone who is trained in engineering on a warship

I seriously doubt that everyone aboard ship studies starship design. Surely not every single person of a marine contingent aboard is familiar enough to know all of the finer details about nuclear reactors. Like the instructions given to Ryan prior to this scene before he went hunting aboard the Russian nuclear sub The Red October...

"Hey, Ryan. Be careful what you shoot at. Most things in here don't react well to bullets."

Would you specifically know everything that shouldn't be hit with bullets?

How many people aboard ship do you think can successfully shutdown a reactor if she is nearing critical, even if they had copious amounts of time?

Are you willing to bet your life that the first thing the average person might do to shutdown a reactor won't buy you both the farm? Not me. So do take formal precautions that absolutely everyone knows exactly what they're dealing with so if they end up in Engineering THEY'LL KNOW TO KEEP THEIR FUCKING DICK SKINNERS OFF THE FUCKING BUTTONS!

You don't want any Santinos in Engineering with Santos. Albeit their names are similar, that's also where the similarity ends.

Besides, regardless of its poignancy, I was courting the humorous side.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:00 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Also, its purpose is to snap one out of ones complacency.

Day to day operation w/o incident leads us to take her for granted.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:49 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
Brigade XO wrote:I understand that the "gunport" in the sidewalls are created by the equipment on the ship opening them in the sidewall and that it would be extreemly bad luck for some enemy missile to happen to detonate it's laserhead at just the correct moment for one of the beams of energy to go through an open gunport.
There must be seperate systems for each of the gunport (both shipkiller tubes and CM tubes as well as possible drone tubes) such that you only open ports for tubes that are being fired.
Since we are talking about being in the middle of an engagement and damage is being suffered, probably on both sides, what happens if the equipment that creates one of the gunports fails (electronics etc) and while the systems cycles when that tube is fired, the gunport isn't actualy opened (power to the circuit but not enough to open a hole in the sidewall) and the weapons is launched and starts through the cycle to power up and engage it's impellers?
You you get the weapon detonating inside the sidewall (I suppose that would depend on when the warhead armes after fireing) or would the sidewall destroy it- and what would the resulting release of energy "inside" on the ship side of the sidewall do to the ship?

Just curious. Somebody must have a thought on this.

Sidewalls were designed in response to the impeller missile - the sidewall is powerful enough to blow out the nodes on the missile and shred the physical body almost instantly.

I would think that a missile that missed it's gunport would just get swallowed by the sidewall out of hand. ...eerrp...
PeterZ wrote:As I understand it, the gun ports are always open. These ports are part of the sidewall generators' programmed settings. They are too small to allow missiles to enter, but energy weapons can fire in through them at any time.

By the same logic a reactor's ejector port might always be open? What is the size of missiles vs reactors?

I wonder about the mechanism that would allow the sidewall generators to have such fine control. If they have such fine control, can they close off missile ports while keeping CM and autocannon ports open? Considering the scene where Fearless? took all of the Havenite's fire w/o shooting back. If they are not shooting back, why leave every port open if there is such fine control? And if there is such fine control, then it would seem that an assigned port would be opened only at the moment of jettisoning a runaway reactor.

Post by Theemile   » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:24 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:By the same logic a reactor's ejector port might always be open? What is the size of missiles vs reactors?

I wonder about the mechanism that would allow the sidewall generators to have such fine control. If they have such fine control, can they close off missile ports while keeping CM and autocannon ports open? Considering the scene where Fearless? took all of the Havenite's fire w/o shooting back. If they are not shooting back, why leave every port open if there is such fine control? And if there is such fine control, then it would seem that an assigned port would be opened only at the moment of jettisoning a runaway reactor.

Single drive missiles are between 78 and 130 tons.

Starship Reactors are in the range of 2500-10,000 tons.

However the sidwlls are 50 km fro the ship, a jetosoning reactor will immediately fall behind an accelerating ship. Even if the core hit the sidewall, the sidewall's gravity would just swallow the plasma.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:... why leave every port open ...

You missed the post with the texev that they DO NOT leave the ports open. They open for just the microsecond required for missile, beam, or failing reactor to pass through.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
cthia wrote:By the same logic a reactor's ejector port might always be open? What is the size of missiles vs reactors?

Single drive missiles are between 78 and 130 tons.

Starship Reactors are in the range of 2500-10,000 tons.

However the sidwlls are 50 km fro the ship, a jetosoning reactor will immediately fall behind an accelerating ship. Even if the core hit the sidewall, the sidewall's gravity would just swallow the plasma.

Should the reactor let loose before it has reached minimum safe distance it will damage or destroy sidewalls. Remember "Guns" aboard Fearless snuck in a nuclear warhead to damage the enemy's sidewalls? And of course, a blast inside of the radius of the sidewalls and ship would destroy the ship.

It also seems that a minimum acceleration would be needed to jettison. Sitting still in space without impetus or little to no acceleration would not allow for jettison.

Post by Loren Pechtel   » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:53 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:However the sidwlls are 50 km fro the ship, a jetosoning reactor will immediately fall behind an accelerating ship. Even if the core hit the sidewall, the sidewall's gravity would just swallow the plasma.

Unless the ship has multiple reactors it's not going to be accelerating after a jettison.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:27 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:However the sidwlls are 50 km fro the ship, a jetosoning reactor will immediately fall behind an accelerating ship. Even if the core hit the sidewall, the sidewall's gravity would just swallow the plasma.
They’re only 10 km off each broadside. Still the compensator field doesn’t normally extend anywhere near that far.
Loren Pechtel wrote:
Unless the ship has multiple reactors it's not going to be accelerating after a jettison.

All warships (except LACs) carry at least 2 reactors - so that isn’t such a big concern.
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:00 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
They’re only 10 km off each broadside. Still the compensator field doesn’t normally extend anywhere near that far.
Loren Pechtel wrote:

All warships (except LACs) carry at least 2 reactors - so that isn’t such a big concern.

Unless her rings are damaged and her accel is < jettison milspec.

I sure would like to peruse the Engineering manual for the minimum safe accel/speed to jettison per reactor yield.

Theemile listed reactor sizes from 2500 - 10,000 tons.* All ships are not able to jettison. Fearless had the capability. Being just a Cruiser, I'll split the diff and give her 5K - 7.5K tons. The Engineering manual would list minimum safe accel for a 5 - 7.5K ton reactor.

* That's a huge meet-your-maker explosion!

Return to Honorverse