Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 36 guests

How To Abandon Ship?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: How To Abandon Ship?
Post by Theemile   » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:22 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Theemile wrote:

I think the robustness and stability of Grav pinched fusion devices can be found in the knowledge that virtually all freighters only carry 1 reactor. How far they need to travel is not in the calculations, nor is their size - it's usually just 1 reactor per ship.

In OTL, countries and airlines required that 4 engine jet make an ocean crossing for commercial passenger trips. In the 90s that changed to 2 engines. Why? The Mean times per failure and the power output per engine were to the point that powerful enough engines could power a large plane by themselves, and (more importantly) the chances of 2 engines failing due to mechanical failures is extremely small.

One can imagine the same is for Honorverse Freighters - the chances of reactor failure is so low, cruising for decades on 1 reactor light years from anybody else can be a common occurrence with little fear. If it was not a safe technology, a 2nd reactor would be carried by every freighter in event the likelihood of failure occurred.

Understood, though I was imagining the cause of a failure due to the MTBP - mean time between pirates. A pirate attack meant to incapacitate a ship can cause a failure instead.

If you have pirates, you have bigger problems than the reactor.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:01 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Theemile wrote:

I think the robustness and stability of Grav pinched fusion devices can be found in the knowledge that virtually all freighters only carry 1 reactor. How far they need to travel is not in the calculations, nor is their size - it's usually just 1 reactor per ship.

In OTL, countries and airlines required that 4 engine jet make an ocean crossing for commercial passenger trips. In the 90s that changed to 2 engines. Why? The Mean times per failure and the power output per engine were to the point that powerful enough engines could power a large plane by themselves, and (more importantly) the chances of 2 engines failing due to mechanical failures is extremely small.

One can imagine the same is for Honorverse Freighters - the chances of reactor failure is so low, cruising for decades on 1 reactor light years from anybody else can be a common occurrence with little fear. If it was not a safe technology, a 2nd reactor would be carried by every freighter in event the likelihood of failure occurred.

Understood, though I was imagining the cause of a failure due to the MTBP - mean time between pirates. A pirate attack meant to incapacitate a ship can cause a failure instead.

Theemile wrote:If you have pirates, you have bigger problems than the reactor.

She still has to worry about reactors, they're just the smaller one's found in the pants of pirates. Especially if she's a drop-dead gorgeous female onboard. Which is why I hinted "who may wish to take her chances with the much nicer, harsh environment." I would imagine pirates are the worst nightmare of most women - drop-dead gorgeous or no - who travel through space. If you're a father who has a particularly attractive daughter, who every man in the neighborhood constantly googles at, you may want to evacuate her. It's certainly a decision which has to be made, and is most likely a contingent already discussed within the family.

It didn't happen this way, but during Oyster Bay, a warship could have been seriously damaged by hulking chunks of debris while simply sitting at rest trying to react and get underway, causing a containment failure. This ship is sitting in dry dock at a Space Station. I'd imagine there are special circumstances around ejecting a core from a ship sitting at rest in the middle of so much civilian/naval activity. Yet if she's gonna blow, she's gonna blow.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:18 pm

TFLYTSNBN

It is interesting that in the Honorverse, female pirates are just as brutal as the male pirates.
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:42 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:It is interesting that in the Honorverse, female pirates are just as brutal as the male pirates.

They may have had to endure some sort of "indoctrination" before being allowed to wallow in the mire with fellow ingrates. Akin to being "rhymes with trucked" into the biker's gang.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:50 pm

TFLYTSNBN

I still say that you better take time to disconnect your waste line from the ship's disposal system or your waste line will be disconnected from you.
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:18 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Being lost in space in a pod or lifeboat has to be one of the scariest propositions of space travel. Reminds me of the gripping fear of being stranded in space Ginger Lewis suffered at the hands of Steilman.

Dunno how large a pod is, but I'd be willing to bet that after a while the walls begin to close in around you. If you are claustrophobic even a little, you're in for a rough time. Claustrophobic a lot, you and everyone around you are in for some very rough seas. GET ME OUT OF THIS THING!

Post by stewart   » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:53 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Being lost in space in a pod or lifeboat has to be one of the scariest propositions of space travel. Reminds me of the gripping fear of being stranded in space Ginger Lewis suffered at the hands of Steilman.

Dunno how large a pod is, but I'd be willing to bet that after a while the walls begin to close in around you. If you are claustrophobic even a little, you're in for a rough time. Claustrophobic a lot, you and everyone around you are in for some very rough seas. GET ME OUT OF THIS THING!

--------------

Likely one of the pre-reqs of space service is no claustrophobia. Similar to USN (and other nations) screening for bubbleheads (sorry, Submariners)

-- Stewart
(never go to sea on a ship designed to sink and built by the lowest bidder)
Post by cthia   » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:55 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

stewart wrote:
cthia wrote:Being lost in space in a pod or lifeboat has to be one of the scariest propositions of space travel. Reminds me of the gripping fear of being stranded in space Ginger Lewis suffered at the hands of Steilman.

--------------

Likely one of the pre-reqs of space service is no claustrophobia. Similar to USN (and other nations) screening for bubbleheads (sorry, Submariners)

-- Stewart
(never go to sea on a ship designed to sink and built by the lowest bidder)

I certainly agree that claustrophobia is a trait that would be unwanted in the navy, though I'm not sure it'd keep everyone out who is -- i.e., probably dependent on job description. In my career, I could not be claustrophobic while donning a SCBA . . .
Though I am mildly claustrophobic, a SCBA outfit doesn't bother me.* Nor did it bother Ginger, but the fear of being left alone and lost alive in space is probably sobering for anyone, not just Ginger.

And of course, you can't curb claustrophobia in civilians who may happen to be aboard whatever is being evacuated.

*Most of my colleagues panicked as soon as the headgear went on. "I want out!"

Post by cthia   » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:05 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Pods? Admiral Gogunov targeted escape pods with Javelin? Talk about a ringside seat for the fireworks. Can you imagine being in a pod after realizing they'd just been targeted? IINM, their beacons is what enabled such small targets to be locked. In such an event, I wonder if deactivating the beacons -- if possible, by the occupants -- would save one or more of them? It seems deactivation would be possible in extremely hostile environments, like so. Of course, they had no idea the Sollies were murderous bastards. Wait, what? At any rate, just wondering if the capability is there, and hoping a few of them realized what was happening and shut off the beacon. But then, how'd they know when to reactivate it? Wow, what a rock-and-a-hard-place of a time to be stuck in a pod.

Post by Fox2!   » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:15 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

cthia wrote:Pods? Admiral Gogunov targeted escape pods with Javelin? Talk about a ringside seat for the fireworks. Can you imagine being in a pod after realizing they'd just been targeted? IINM, their beacons is what enabled such small targets to be locked. In such an event, I wonder if deactivating the beacons -- if possible, by the occupants -- would save one or more of them? It seems deactivation would be possible in extremely hostile environments, like so. Of course, they had no idea the Sollies were murderous bastards. Wait, what? At any rate, just wondering if the capability is there, and hoping a few of them realized what was happening and shut off the beacon. But then, how'd they know when to reactivate it? Wow, what a rock-and-a-hard-place of a time to be stuck in a pod.

Just have to find the right circuit breaker. Which should be identified in the -1 for the pods/lifeboat/small craft.

Return to Honorverse