Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests

How many naval personnel is there available in Talbott.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
How many naval personnel is there available in Talbott.
Post by olddatsunfan   » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:11 pm

olddatsunfan
Ensign

If there is a reasonable amount of naval personnel available how much training would it take to get them up to RMN standards?
Re: How many naval personnel is there available in Talbott.
Post by zyffyr   » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:30 pm

zyffyr
Lieutenant Commander

It is unlikely that any of the recently absorbed worlds have a non-trivial navy. A few LACs or maybe an old Frigate is all that most of them will have.
Post by n7axw   » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:00 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

IIRC, Rembrandt probably has a significant navy consisting of some cruisers. Not much compared to the major players, but bigger than its immediate neighbors. San Miguel the same. Both these systems are wealthy enough to afford the navy they have. Also the Trade Union has some naval capacity, although I don't remember how much.

Bearing in mind that it's a very poor area prior to Manticore's involvement, they had a bit more in terms of naval force than you might expect.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:01 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

zyffyr wrote:It is unlikely that any of the recently absorbed worlds have a non-trivial navy. A few LACs or maybe an old Frigate is all that most of them will have.

I don’t have my books handy, but I seem to recall the Rembrandt Trade Union had a light cruiser or two. But yeah still,overall, not much existing naval force in Talbott before the discovery of the Lynx terminus.
Post by pappilon   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:13 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
zyffyr wrote:It is unlikely that any of the recently absorbed worlds have a non-trivial navy. A few LACs or maybe an old Frigate is all that most of them will have.

I don’t have my books handy, but I seem to recall the Rembrandt Trade Union had a light cruiser or two. But yeah still,overall, not much existing naval force in Talbott before the discovery of the Lynx terminus.

Few of the systems had much more than a hand of LACs. IIRC the plan was to train up the locals on LACs, allow the "Darwinian" cream to float to the top, and just allow the general,albeit slow, upgrade in the general education take care of the rest.

OTOH, they did contribute 1,000,000+ ground troops. So maybe half that as a SWAG?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Maldorian   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:34 am

Maldorian
Captain (Junior Grade)

It is unlikely that any of the recently absorbed worlds have a non-trivial navy. A few LACs or maybe an old Frigate is all that most of them will have.

New Tuscany send a cruiser to the system, were their Freighters had trouble, so, I think there will be to one or other old cruiser be around from the other cluster worlds.

It isn´t only the technical standard that is important, trust is also important! Do you think everyone of the talbott navy members turn from one day to the next into loyal manticorian soldiers?

I think the best manticore can do is to give the local navies some older LAC´s. They wouldn´t have the last manticore tech secrets but better than everything they already have.
Post by Eagleeye   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:18 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

If I remember correctly, there is textev in Shadow of Saganami, that the member systems of the RTU at least have big enough navies to gave Monica (before it got the Battlecruisers) pause. And Monica was acknowledged to have one of the better and bigger navies around Talbott.
But in essence, the RTU-member navies could provide at least a core "Talbott Navy" as part of the development of the local RMN-presence.
Post by munroburton   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:12 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:

Note that any pre-annexation Talbott warships were probably more crew intensive. So whilst retraining the personnel is still an issue, they might stretch further than 1-to-1 replacements.
Post by saber964   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:18 pm

saber964
Admiral

It depended on the system involved. Rembrandt is probably the largest considering it's prosperity my guess is a couple of mixed squadrons of CL's and DD much like the GSN pre- alliance (IIRC GSN 3 CL 5 DD) Montana probably has a handful of LAC's for customs.
Post by olddatsunfan   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:51 pm

olddatsunfan
Ensign

If I am correct in guessing, most of the systems involved here have an LAC or Customs force of some sort, ie Montana and Nuncio, so I wouldn't expect more than say 5-10 thousand members of these smaller organizations. However, of Miguel and Rembrant have light cruisers and destroyers then perhaps these System Defense Forces have over 20 thousand members? That may give up to 100 thousand or so Naval personnel through the Talbott system ...

Return to Honorverse