Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 34 guests

Hauptman Cartel Future

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Hauptman Cartel Future
Post by Frankjg   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:35 pm

Frankjg
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Forget which book. But the Mesan Alignment had an agent in the law firm that represents the Hauptman cartel and family and discovered an interesting piece of info on the will of Stacy and Klaus Hauptman. If they die, the designated heir for their empire is Honor Harrington.

Now will this info come public? Is the deaths of Klaus and Stacy foreshadowed?
Re: Hauptman Cartel Future
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:18 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

Wouldn't the Alignment want to keep them alive? They hate Honor. Why would they want her to get the Cartel? I think they'd be more likely to give the Hauptman family a secret injection of medical nanies than assassinate them!
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:19 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Frankjg wrote:Forget which book. But the Mesan Alignment had an agent in the law firm that represents the Hauptman cartel and family and discovered an interesting piece of info on the will of Stacy and Klaus Hauptman. If they die, the designated heir for their empire is Honor Harrington.

Not necessarily. There are always loose ends. And Stacy might just marry and have kids...or maybe not marry and have kids. Remember that she is relatively close to Honor's age.

I don't know that anyone would go searching out to kill them from Mesa. Manpower is essentially dead. Why create new problems.

My guess is the money, if it went to Honor, would become part of a fund to help freed slaves.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:32 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

One would think that if Manpower/Alignment were going to go after the Hauptmans, they would have done it long ago. Klaus, in particular is not their friend. And he has been quite vocal about it. In fact we know that he has been partially subsidizing those frigates that ended up with the Torch navy. And I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he hasn't been supporting the Ballroom if not quite as openly as Cathy Montaign.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:17 am

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

If he's been supporting the Ballroom the way to target him would be to unveil that connection. They ARE a terrorist organization after all. Of course, then the MAlign would have every reason to make that bit of info public. That would tie Honor to the Ballroom.
Post by jtg452   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:21 am

jtg452
Captain of the List

Didn't those Turner Class frigates (I think this is a case where using 'the ship class that shall not be named' is appropriate and allowed ;) ) that the RTN ended up with come from Hauptman?

Best I can remember, they ended up getting them for very little if they paid for them at all.
Post by Fireflair   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:56 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

Yes, the Hauptman cartel provided the frigates to Torch.

No, Klaus doesn't hate Honor. His daughter, in fact, enjoys a relatively strong relationship with Honor and Klaus has come to respect Honor a great deal.
Post by pappilon   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:23 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Fireflair wrote:Yes, the Hauptman cartel provided the frigates to Torch.

No, Klaus doesn't hate Honor. His daughter, in fact, enjoys a relatively strong relationship with Honor and Klaus has come to respect Honor a great deal.

IIRC He sold them to Torch at his construction cost.

He and Honor butted heads at Basilisk station over contract shippers smuggling contraband. They had a rather heated discussion aboard her ship and she promised to hunt him down challenge him to a duel and shoot him dead.

I don't think there is love lost between them, but there is a grudging respect. But that was another novel with Stacey calling her father an unmitigated ass(in so many words).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Maldorian   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:07 am

Maldorian
Captain (Junior Grade)

Forget which book. But the Mesan Alignment had an agent in the law firm that represents the Hauptman cartel and family and discovered an interesting piece of info on the will of Stacy and Klaus Hauptman. If they die, the designated heir for their empire is Honor Harrington.

Wasn´t that the core of the discussion the detweiler´s made? They talked about to kill Hauptmann and come to the result, that that wouldn´t be good for them, because of Hauptmann´s last will.

So, no, I think the Alignment wouldn´t kill the Hauptmann´s!

We saw so many character´s in the whole story, maybe Stacey remove one of them out of the main action, with other words: fall in love, marry him or her, founding a family!
Post by phillies   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:21 am

phillies
Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
Frankjg wrote:Forget which book. But the Mesan Alignment had an agent in the law firm that represents the Hauptman cartel and family and discovered an interesting piece of info on the will of Stacy and Klaus Hauptman. If they die, the designated heir for their empire is Honor Harrington.

Not necessarily. There are always loose ends. And Stacy might just marry and have kids...or maybe not marry and have kids. Remember that she is relatively close to Honor's age.

I don't know that anyone would go searching out to kill them from Mesa. Manpower is essentially dead. Why create new problems.

My guess is the money, if it went to Honor, would become part of a fund to help freed slaves.

Furthermore, Hauptman himself might have more children. It has been done before by old guys.

Return to Honorverse