Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Hauptman Cartel Future

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Hauptman Cartel Future
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:38 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:My logic could be wrong, but if the author has acknowledged that Harrington inherits the Hauptman's wealth, then it may be logically feasible to rest concerning Harrington's death.

Not to disturb your rest, but Raul(sp) will inherit Honor's shares in Skydomes and thus 70% or so of Haupman's finacial empire as well. With Prolong, it's not likely that we'll see the result, but eventually Honor's heirs will own the entire Honorverse -- or at least a controlling interest. :D
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:49 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:My logic could be wrong, but if the author has acknowledged that Harrington inherits the Hauptman's wealth, then it may be logically feasible to rest concerning Harrington's death.

Not to disturb your rest, but Raul(sp) will inherit Honor's shares in Skydomes and thus 70% or so of Haupman's finacial empire as well. With Prolong, it's not likely that we'll see the result, but eventually Honor's heirs will own the entire Honorverse -- or at least a controlling interest. :D

Dammit! Someone is always disturbing a peaceful rest! LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:11 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

Not too sure that Raoul will automatically inherit the Skydomes stock. Honor left those shares to the next Steadholder Harrington when she was declared dead. Does that mean the stock is owned by Steadholder Harrington as part of the Steadding and not personally by Honor? If not, Honor may leave those shares to Katherine or some future child or someone else entirely.

Otherwise, I can see Honor wanting to leave those assets in Steadholder Harrington's hands perpetually to ensure that she and her heirs to the Steadding hold a big enough stick to keep Grayson's reactionaries from backsliding.
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:13 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:... Raoul will inherit Honor's shares in Skydomes and thus 70% or so of Haupman's finacial empire as well. With Prolong, it's not likely that we'll see the result, but eventually Honor's heirs will own the entire Honorverse -- or at least a controlling interest. :D

Not too sure that Raoul will automatically inherit the Skydomes stock. Honor left those shares to the next Steadholder Harrington when she was declared dead.

I can't see Honor changing her Will with regards to the next Steadholder. At the time she wrote it, she had no direct Heir, so it was worded for the position rather than a person. Unless Raoul dies or abdicates, he IS the next Steadholder and would inherit controlling interest in Skydomes. (Plus White Haven, plus the Hauptman empire, plus who knows what-else Honor, Hamish, the Hauptmans, or any of the Beowulf relatives might acquire before he inherits anything. Or that he may acquire in his own person, for that matter.)
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by munroburton   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:19 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Kind of assuming that Stacey will never have a child.

Weird Harold wrote:

Post by pappilon   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:56 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

So ... slightly off subject, but... How much and through which entity(ies)does Honor own the Blackbird yards or its successor entity?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by pappilon   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:00 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

munroburton wrote:Kind of assuming that Stacey will never have a child.

Weird Harold wrote:Not to disturb your rest, but Raul(sp) will inherit Honor's shares in Skydomes and thus 70% or so of Haupman's finacial empire as well. With Prolong, it's not likely that we'll see the result, but eventually Honor's heirs will own the entire Honorverse -- or at least a controlling interest. :D

Honor may or may not survive the final novel. But she almost certainly not die of an assassination by the MAlign,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:11 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:So ... slightly off subject, but... How much and through which entity(ies)does Honor own the Blackbird yards or its successor entity?

Not sure how much, but half comes to mind. Honor and the Protector invested as partners into the yard. I had assumed 50/50. Hauptman provided capital but more in the form of equity that was steadily repurchased by the other partners.

I believe her will also left he shares of the Blackbird yards to the next steadholder.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:47 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Hauptman invested a lot in the building of Blackbird Yards and, it would seem, other business in Grayson. It was prudent given that they were building a lot of ships and other things for Manticore AT SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER LABOR COSTS and could compeat sucessfuly with exisitng Manticorian arms industry, including Hauptman's own original companies.

Makeing money is often a case of finding a way to make something for less cost, as long as the quality is still there. The Haupman empire covers a lot of things. He has interstellar passenger ships, some of them armed. He builds warships, he builds weapons, he builds freighters. He operates freighters (he might or might not have built them in his own yards but he runs profitable companies. He probably is a partner or minority owner in all sorts of companies scattered through SL space, even controling some of them fully though networks of partnerships and corporations on a hundred planets.

One question about how bad a hit the Haupman Cartel (and related entities) took would be how much was self-insured? Even if very little was, the destruction caused by OB could have destroyed any number of insurance companies such that some claims will never be paid.

It is not like Haumpan has been a problem citizen for Manticore. He is tough, competitive and a lot of other things, but he is also realistic and has a lot of connection which he can use to recover. That recovery is also going to be slanted to improving and bolstering Manticore and it's recovery. It is still the place with the access to a majority of the shipping routes and a massively productive ecomeny which has gown with the spectacular increase in the size of the Empire.
Post by n7axw   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:20 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Hauptman invested a lot in the building of Blackbird Yards and, it would seem, other business in Grayson. It was prudent given that they were building a lot of ships and other things for Manticore AT SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER LABOR COSTS and could compeat sucessfuly with exisitng Manticorian arms industry, including Hauptman's own original companies.

Makeing money is often a case of finding a way to make something for less cost, as long as the quality is still there. The Haupman empire covers a lot of things. He has interstellar passenger ships, some of them armed. He builds warships, he builds weapons, he builds freighters. He operates freighters (he might or might not have built them in his own yards but he runs profitable companies. He probably is a partner or minority owner in all sorts of companies scattered through SL space, even controling some of them fully though networks of partnerships and corporations on a hundred planets.

One question about how bad a hit the Haupman Cartel (and related entities) took would be how much was self-insured? Even if very little was, the destruction caused by OB could have destroyed any number of insurance companies such that some claims will never be paid.

It is not like Haumpan has been a problem citizen for Manticore. He is tough, competitive and a lot of other things, but he is also realistic and has a lot of connection which he can use to recover. That recovery is also going to be slanted to improving and bolstering Manticore and it's recovery. It is still the place with the access to a majority of the shipping routes and a massively productive ecomeny which has gown with the spectacular increase in the size of the Empire.

Klaus has lots of faults, but the old pirate also has lots of characteristics to admire including basic honesty and the ability to admit it when he is wrong when his nose is rubbed in it hard enough. I think that over time, the cartel will be just fine.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Honorverse