Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 101 guests

How many impeller rings are needed to use a wormhole?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: How many impeller rings are needed to use a wormhole?
Post by robert132   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:15 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Hi guys, let me toss my two cents worth of understanding (probably overpriced :mrgreen: ) into this.

Most ships mount two impeller rings, one forward and one aft. Each ring is made up of BOTH Alpha (essential for a Warshawski sail) and Beta nodes.

If a ship loses even one Alpha node then a balanced sail can't be generated, hence we had the issue in HotQ where
the DD HMS Troubadour was unable to enter hyper and the grav wave because she had one Alpha node damaged and unrepairable or replaceable locally and couldn't generate the sail necessary to protect her once in hyper and the wave Yeltsin's Star is in but CL HMS Apollo could even though she otherwise had BIG holes shot through her because all of her nodes were left intact.

My understanding is that impeller drive ships can generate wedges even with Alpha or Beta nodes damaged or shot away or even one full ring out of two knocked out with a commensurate loss of power and acceleration.

Again, just my understanding.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Re: How many impeller rings are needed to use a wormhole?
Post by Theemile   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:14 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

robert132 wrote:Hi guys, let me toss my two cents worth of understanding (probably overpriced :mrgreen: ) into this.

Most ships mount two impeller rings, one forward and one aft. Each ring is made up of BOTH Alpha (essential for a Warshawski sail) and Beta nodes.

If a ship loses even one Alpha node then a balanced sail can't be generated, hence we had the issue in HotQ where
the DD HMS Troubadour was unable to enter hyper and the grav wave because she had one Alpha node damaged and unrepairable or replaceable locally and couldn't generate the sail necessary to protect her once in hyper and the wave Yeltsin's Star is in but CL HMS Apollo could even though she otherwise had BIG holes shot through her because all of her nodes were left intact.

My understanding is that impeller drive ships can generate wedges even with Alpha or Beta nodes damaged or shot away or even one full ring out of two knocked out with a commensurate loss of power and acceleration.

Again, just my understanding.

That issue is crossing the Hyper boundary in a Grav wave. Ships with one sail can be towed by another ship successfully in a Grav wave, with the 2nd ship tuning agaianst Grav eddies. However, the towed ship would need to be towed free of the grav wave and enter a system froom of them for repar - I do not believe it could exit the grav wave from hyper into a system being towed.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse