Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

What's wrong with Rafe Cardones?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What's wrong with Rafe Cardones?
Post by n7axw   » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:11 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
n7axw wrote:Most of this summary can be validated by textev although there are a couple of spots I filled in by guesswork, such as my assertion that a commodores spot would need a senior grade captain rzather than a captain jg.

Don

-

There is discussion in, I believe it is A Short Victorious War, about concern that issuing a war warning, and the enhanced rules of engagement associated with it, would put the Captain (jg) commanding a CL squadron at risk of kicking off the war that everyone was expecting. But the way the Peeps were ratcheting up the level of confrontation, a war warning was required to ensure that said CL squadron was able to defend itself against a Peep provocation.

Interesting. I'll have to go back and look at that. If so it demonstrates that I'd better not allow my own notion of things to be anchored in too much concrete!!! :lol:

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Frankjg   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:01 am

Frankjg
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Yes I am surprised Rafe is still a Captain of the List, and hasn't been promoted higher yet. Maybe there will be surprise in the next book for us.

If Rafe left as Honor's flag captain. Who would replace him. Their is not many of the original Fearless officers left, Captain or under they is readily available as replacement.

Would be interesting to see what happens.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:05 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Promoting Rafe might have been in the works as part of the ships under construction. The combination of that loss and not wanting to disrupt the command team of their primary force projection fleet argues pretty well to keep Rafe as Honor's flag captain. Once the SL is defeated, Rafe gets his promotion.
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:51 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Promoting Rafe might have been in the works as part of the ships under construction. The combination of that loss and not wanting to disrupt the command team of their primary force projection fleet argues pretty well to keep Rafe as Honor's flag captain. Once the SL is defeated, Rafe gets his promotion.

I agree with you but I am not certain we will ever see that major a battle. Haven is now allied with Manticore. Issues have been worked out with the Andermanni.

The League has already decided not to try another big battle. I could see Honor either running Home Fleet or as a direct assist to Caparelli.

That could result in Cardones getting a task force of SD(P)'s.

Also, keep in mind that HH does not have to go to old friends for a flag captain. There are more than a few very good captains around.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:02 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Promoting Rafe might have been in the works as part of the ships under construction. The combination of that loss and not wanting to disrupt the command team of their primary force projection fleet argues pretty well to keep Rafe as Honor's flag captain. Once the SL is defeated, Rafe gets his promotion.

I agree with you but I am not certain we will ever see that major a battle. Haven is now allied with Manticore. Issues have been worked out with the Andermanni.

The League has already decided not to try another big battle. I could see Honor either running Home Fleet or as a direct assist to Caparelli.

Also, keep in mind that HH does not have to go to old friends for a flag captain. There are more than a few very good captains around.

Totally agree. Andrea Juralski comes to mind. She's been a staff weenie for quite a while, she needs to command. Likely not an SDP right off, but yeah there are worthy candidates. Captain Zavala might well fit the bill.
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:31 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:

Totally agree. Andrea Juralski comes to mind. She's been a staff weenie for quite a while, she needs to command. Likely not an SDP right off, but yeah there are worthy candidates. Captain Zavala might well fit the bill.[/quote]
Post by kzt   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:41 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

There are people who do a superb job as a staff officer or garrison/installation commander who just shouldn’t be put in charge of a combat unit. For example, George B McClellan. An intelligently run organization recognizes where they can be most effective. And no, your personal ambition to have a particular command doesn’t count if the service needs you to do something else.
Post by Eagleeye   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:44 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

kzt wrote:There are people who do a superb job as a staff officer or garrison/installation commander who just shouldn’t be put in charge of a combat unit. For example, George B McClellan. An intelligently run organization recognizes where they can be most effective. And no, your personal ambition to have a particular command doesn’t count if the service needs you to do something else.

Right. On the other hand, the RMN has the tradition to put its officers both in operational and staff positions alternately as long as the exigencies of the service don't force them to stay in the positions they already have, because they've proven to be able to excel in their actual job. So, why not give Jaruwalski command of a light cruiser squadron or a division of CA's (for example), if the occasion should arise?
Post by kzt   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:38 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I suspect the requirement to be a cruiser squadron CO is a successful cruiser command as a cdr. The prerequisite for that is a successful DD command as a Lt cdr and ATC. Once you fall off the career track it’s really hard to get back on it.
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:47 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Sorry when I mess up the quotes (I do it far too often). When you're born in 1934 and came to computing late, there are problems.

I still have trouble figuring out where the "quotes" go despite help from others.

I humbly apologize. I don't get out much any more and it's fun to be part of discussions.

Mea culpa.

Return to Honorverse