Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests

What's wrong with Rafe Cardones?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
What's wrong with Rafe Cardones?
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:25 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Cardones has been stuck as a Captain (Senior) for so long that in the US Navy he would have been shown the door. This, despite a really distinguished career. What happened? Honor happened.

In Ashes of Victory is he is captain of Honor's flagship, a CLAC. He is her flag captain (tac deputy) in the battle of Sidemore, a huge victory.

He takes over an Invictus and remains as Flag Captain, all through the Cutworms, etc. and finally at the Battle of Manticore. Then he remains through the Second Battle of Manticore.

When he started out, Scotty Tremaine was a junior captain and his COLAC. Scotty is now a commodore.

Oversteegan was captain of a cruiser at that point, a bit before he met Abigail. By the point we are at, he is a rear admiral.

Terekhov was a captain even a bit later and is now a commodore.

And Cardones, who should have been promoted several times, remains a captain. He probably would enjoy calling Scotty "sir."

If things continue a bit more, he might be calling Abigail, "ma'am."

Yes, Mercedes Brigham took a demotion by becoming a commodore instead of an admiral's post but that was a switch in navies. And she is rather older than Rafe and has said she never thought she'd really rise.

But Rafe has talked about his resume. Shouldn't Honor at least get him the small promotion (commodore) although he should clearly be at least a Rear Admiral?
Re: What's wrong with Rafe Cardones?
Post by iranuke   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:58 pm

iranuke
Commander

It really has not been that long. He was CO of the carrier for Sidemore but that was in the book War of Honor. The last six or seven books have only taken about 3 or 4 years. I will admit that he is about due but not overdue yet. Even with our Navy's up or out policy, 4 years as a captain is far from excessive.
ldwechsler wrote:Cardones has been stuck as a Captain (Senior) for so long that in the US Navy he would have been shown the door. This, despite a really distinguished career. What happened? Honor happened.

In Ashes of Victory is he is captain of Honor's flagship, a CLAC. He is her flag captain (tac deputy) in the battle of Sidemore, a huge victory.

He takes over an Invictus and remains as Flag Captain, all through the Cutworms, etc. and finally at the Battle of Manticore. Then he remains through the Second Battle of Manticore.

When he started out, Scotty Tremaine was a junior captain and his COLAC. Scotty is now a commodore.

Oversteegan was captain of a cruiser at that point, a bit before he met Abigail. By the point we are at, he is a rear admiral.

And Cardones, who should have been promoted several times, remains a captain. He probably would enjoy calling Scotty "sir."

Yes, Mercedes Brigham took a demotion by becoming a commodore instead of an admiral's post but that was a switch in navies. And she is rather older than Rafe and has said she never thought she'd really rise.

But Rafe has talked about his resume. Shouldn't Honor at least get him the small promotion (commodore) although he should clearly be at least a Rear Admiral?
Post by saber964   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:29 pm

saber964
Admiral

Rafe Cardones was promoted to CAPT(SG) in 1914 PD when he was given command of HMS Werewolf. He participated in Operation Buttercup. He was still in command in 1918 PD when Werewolf was sent to Sidemore. My guess is his career was put on the backburner or half-payed by Janacek as one of Harrington's protege. He is probably one of the most senior captains in the RMN. He is not alone in this however IIRC Victoria Saunders CO of HMS Hercules has been in command almost as long. If and when he is promoted he likely jump to rear admiral. FYI Scotty is not a Commodore he's a Captain (SG) in command of a CruDiv he is likely being groomed to command the entire CruRon when the second division shows up along with his promotion.
Post by munroburton   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:09 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Cardones' career does seem a little slow-paced lately. But when has Honor had time to break in a new flag captain(and who)? Especially with all the new Grand Alliance business added on top of everything else.

The integrity of what is literally the RMN's top field command team is a little too valuable to tinker with, although I suppose maintaining this became less critical after Second Manticore.

I don't think his career will be too badly hurt. I mean, BuPers can always jump him to Rear Admiral. It wouldn't surprise me if that lad ended up First Space Lord eventually.
Post by Fox2!   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

munroburton wrote:Cardones' career does seem a little slow-paced lately. But when has Honor had time to break in a new flag captain(and who)? Especially with all the new Grand Alliance business added on top of everything else.

The integrity of what is literally the RMN's top field command team is a little too valuable to tinker with, although I suppose maintaining this became less critical after Second Manticore.

I don't think his career will be too badly hurt. I mean, BuPers can always jump him to Rear Admiral. It wouldn't surprise me if that lad ended up First Space Lord eventually.

Which will be while Honor is First Lord of Admiralty, after Mike retires as First Space Lord.
Post by munroburton   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:48 am

munroburton
Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
munroburton wrote:Cardones' career does seem a little slow-paced lately. But when has Honor had time to break in a new flag captain(and who)? Especially with all the new Grand Alliance business added on top of everything else.

Which will be while Honor is First Lord of Admiralty, after Mike retires as First Space Lord.

Well, with the immediate existential threats to Manticore removed, I expect they'll try to start rotating flag officers between Admiralty House and field commands again.
Post by TangoLima   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:21 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

I believe the Rafe Cordones (I wonder if his middle initial is F) will be at least a Commodore by the end of the next book.
There are to many unfilled boots for it not happen.

Yeah, go ahead an make fool out of me RFC
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:30 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

ldwechsler wrote:Cardones has been stuck as a Captain (Senior) for so long that in the US Navy he would have been shown the door. This, despite a really distinguished career. What happened? Honor happened.

Like Honor, Mercedes' rank depends on which uniform she is wearing at any particular moment? She remains as a Commodore in the GSN so she can stay on as Honor's Chief of Staff, rather than getting a squadron command in the RMN. Or would she be more likely to get a staff slot in BUPLANS?
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:37 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Fox2! wrote:

Like Honor, Mercedes' rank depends on which uniform she is wearing at any particular moment? She remains as a Commodore in the GSN so she can stay on as Honor's Chief of Staff, rather than getting a squadron command in the RMN. Or would she be more likely to get a staff slot in BUPLANS?

That is basically my point. Mercedes inhabits two systems. She can move back and forth and as she once tells Honor, she never expected to rise higher than lieutenant.

Rafe was only in the RMN. And he is a careerist. Scotty had served under him and now outranks him. Others have moved past him.

Yes, he probably will get a Rear Admiralty sometime. But it is likely he will be far further down the list than a lot of others.

Basically it is unlikely there will be another major battle. There will be a lot of small ones so Honor may not be all that involved. Rafe needs to be allowed to move up.
Post by saber964   » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:41 pm

saber964
Admiral

Fox2! wrote:

No, Brigham is a RADM in the GSN but a CMDOR in the RMN. She let quietly be known to BUPER's that she would rather be Honor's COS than be promoted.

Return to Honorverse