Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Theemile, ThinksMarkedly and 18 guests

"Infinite Stars" Is Out!!! (Possible SPOILERS)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: "Infinite Stars" Is Out!!! (Possible SPOILERS)
Post by n7axw   » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:50 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Just finished reading the whole book. As I'm sure is true of many of you, I bought it for the Weber story. But sinse I paid for it, i figured I best read the whole thing.

I can't in all honesty say that I enjoyed about half of the stories all that well. Moon, Jack Campbell, David Drake were just great. Otherwise.... well, all I can really say is that I thought there was a quite a bit of straying over the line from sci-fi and space opera into fantasy which I'm not really fond of. This isn't criticism of the other stories, mind you. It's just that if we were all alike and liked the same things, it would be a dull world and what I am relating is how I reacted.

It makes me appreciate David's writing a lot more. Nobody does it like David. May he continue to produce wonderful stories for us to enjoy.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Fireflair   » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:19 pm

Fireflair
Captain of the List

I have to say I was glad to get this anthology. I often buy anthologies to try out new authors along with known authors I already enjoy. A lot of authors in this one I enjoy already. Like many, Weber's story is a key one for me, but so is having a story from Catherine Asaro. I think she does some great works.

Still working my way through it, but no complaints!
Post by Sharidann   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:45 am

Sharidann
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

It is normal in an anthology.

I really enjoyed The Elizabeth Moon story (but I am a big fan, so no surprise here, she is as good in SF as in Fantasy).
Rest, working my way through it, step by step.
Nice to have such variety though, as I didn't read from every author on the list.
n7axw wrote:Just finished reading the whole book. As I'm sure is true of many of you, I bought it for the Weber story. But sinse I paid for it, i figured I best read the whole thing.

I can't in all honesty say that I enjoyed about half of the stories all that well. Moon, Jack Campbell, David Drake were just great. Otherwise.... well, all I can really say is that I thought there was a quite a bit of straying over the line from sci-fi and space opera into fantasy which I'm not really fond of. This isn't criticism of the other stories, mind you. It's just that if we were all alike and liked the same things, it would be a dull world and what I am relating is how I reacted.

It makes me appreciate David's writing a lot more. Nobody does it like David. May he continue to produce wonderful stories for us to enjoy.

Don

-
Post by Eagleeye   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:25 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

Just got a note by amazon.de, that my hardcopy is delayed and shall hit my shelves not before the end of next month - arrgh!!
So I will buy the ebook; but not from Amazon. There's no point in rewarding them for their inability to deliver my hardcopy on time. And fortunately I've a reading device for epubs, too.
Post by Sharidann   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:32 am

Sharidann

Got the same notice, but already had bought the ebook...
:evil:
OTOH, they have tried for 2 years to deliver my copy of the soundtrack of Return of the King... and I have enjoyed it in MP3-Format at no cost the whole time. :)

Eagleeye wrote:Just got a note by amazon.de, that my hardcopy is delayed and shall hit my shelves not before the end of next month - arrgh!!
So I will buy the ebook; but not from Amazon. There's no point in rewarding them for their inability to deliver my hardcopy on time. And fortunately I've a reading device for epubs, too.
Post by drothgery   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:39 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Had that prequel to Mote showed up anywhere else before? If not, I wonder if it was the last thing of Jerry's that got published...
Post by Jeslis   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:30 pm

Jeslis

Just wanted to post a quick quip here - Didn't realize Jean Johnson was one of the authors who sub'd a short? story into this anthology.

Reading (and re-reading) her 'Theirs not to reason why' series, starting with 'A Soldiers Duty' has gotten me through some of the gaps in time between books from our Mr. Weber here.

So if you've been looking for something while you wait, give her a look.
Post by Thunder Child Actual   » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Thunder Child Actual

drothgery wrote:Had that prequel to Mote showed up anywhere else before? If not, I wonder if it was the last thing of Jerry's that got published...

It was first published in There Will Be War: Volume 1. Which came out in January 1983 according to my copy.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:57 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Thunder Child Actual wrote:
drothgery wrote:Had that prequel to Mote showed up anywhere else before? If not, I wonder if it was the last thing of Jerry's that got published...

It was first published in There Will Be War: Volume 1. Which came out in January 1983 according to my copy.

It was part of the original _Mote in God's Eye_ manuscript (I think, it would had been the 1st chapter, note the parallelism with the last chapter). In addition to that chapter, the prologue (published elsewhere as "Mote Light") and one or more chapters of the suppression of the New Chicago revolt were deleted.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)

Return to Honorverse