Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 30 guests

Upcoming surplus of junior officers

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Upcoming surplus of junior officers
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:17 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Sigs wrote:
n7axw wrote:Good questions, Sigs. Theemile and I were just extrapolating on basis of available textev. I do suspect that your figures are low. Early in the series, Admiral Cortez in the course of a discussion mentioned that Manticore had as many as 250 wallers under construction. But that would have included those lost building slips in Grendesbane. IIRC there were 90 of those which were lost in Thunderbolt. That would leave 160 at Manticore which then becomes the number of SDs that could have escaped OB to Trevor's Star.

Frankly, this is speculation on textev that is a bit thin on the ground.

Don

-

At the beginning of at all costs there is a meeting between the Queen, PM, Admiralty and Adm. Harrington. In that meeting it is stated after what happened in Grendelsbane, they had only 35 SD(P)'s under construction to be commissioned within 6-10 months. In their own words their pod-laying wall will consist of no more than 110 SD(P)'s for at least 2 years. This discussion is at most a month or two into the war.

IAN had 42 SD(P)s in commission and another 90 SD(P)'s in various states of completion. Some would not be done for 18 months but let's say there was a push and finished all earlier that is 132 SD(P)'s

Adm. Caparelli estimates that within 18 months, if construction hold up they should have roughly 400 SD(P)'s between the GSN, RMN and IAN.

This leads me to believe that the GSN had 43 SD(P)'s under construction on top of their 115 SD(P)'s in service.

Oyster Bay happened roughy 2 years after the start of the war. How many SD(P)'s could realistcly be build in the two years between Thunderbolt and Oysterbay considering that 168 SD(P)'s were build by the alliance in the two years of war.

#1 between the first and second war, at least to me it seemed like Grayson was on war footing so they couldn't likely have put more SD(P)'s down simultaneously before those they had under construction left the Yards. So they might have laid down 10-15 more immediately at the start of the war but I can't imagine it would be much more than that.

#2 the IAN was having problems getting it's ships finished as it was so I doubt they laid down any new once until some of the once they had under construction were done.

#3 the only one who had capacity to letdown a lot of new ships was Manticore and they would have stated within a couple of months of the war since they would need to get organized and get resrouces, infrastructure and manpower in place to lay down the ships.

By the BoM SD(P)'s strength would be:

RMN ~110 SD(P)'s
IAN ~132 SD(P)'s
GSN ~153 SD(P)'s

If the Alliance lost 139 SD(P)'s in BoM which would be at about the 18 month mark, it leads me to believe that the alliance had ~261 SD(P)'s. That is assuming that in the first 18 months of the war the Allies did not lose a single SD(P) which is not the case.

If both the Andermani and Grayson were struggling to finish the ships they had in the yards the only one who can contribute significantly to any lump of SD(P)'s is Manticore which would mean they essentially double their fleet after loosing one of their main yards at the beginning of the war.

If we look at the causalities in the BoM proportional to the fleet strength at time of BoM we can assume that the remaining fleet was:

- RMN had ~76 SD(P)'s.
- IAN had ~86 SD(P)'s
- GSN had ~99 SD(P)'s.

Once again that assumes nothing was lost in the 18 months of war. We know that is not true since 11 SD(P)'s were lost in Zanzibar alone. They also lost 1 SD(P) in Solon. There might have been more but I can't remember at the moment.

So post BoM there would have been ~260 SD(P)'s in Alliance fleet minus what was lost in the 18 months of war aside from BoM.

I can't see there being a lump of 120 SD(P)'s being done over and above the once already counted as under construction in the 2 years between thunderbolt and Oyster Bay since manticore would have had to lay down immediately at start of war around 100 SD(P)'s to have them out of the yard hands before Oyster Bay and Grayson would have to have laid down the other 20 SD(P)'s immediately as well even though they were also struggling to finance the once they were building. and that would bring the alliance fleet up to 295 SD(P)'s after we remove the IAN.

At second Manticore the GA had:
-RHN ~250 SD(P)'s
-GSN ~150 SD(P)'s
-RMN~40 SD(P)'s + 60 SD(P)'s at Beowulf and 12-20 SD(P)'s with 10th Fleet.

This implies to me that the RMN took much heavier casualties in BoM than Grayson and the ~120 SD(P)'s they had at Second Manticore were all they had +/- a squadron or two.'

And with that many GSN wallers in Second Manticore they would have had to nearly strip the GSN Home Fleet to the barebones.

The problem with all of this is that we are looking at different numbers at different times. Just because RMN is building a certain number of ships at one time does not mean they are building the same number a year later.

It would be difficult to build MORE ships than before right after Oyster Bay because the shipyards were destroyed. On the other hand, the government will want more ships.

So we are guessing. Also, based on the numbers at the Academy, there will be a lot more ships. And we don't know how many snotties will be on each ship. Based on Hexapuma, there were five middies for a ship of 700. In other words, less than one percent of the crew.

I would guess that the number might hold up for all ships...no way 100 middies would be on a larger ship that holds 1500. Also, would middies be attached to Home Fleet where they would almost certainly never see action? Yes, there were a couple of battles but generally nothing happened there.

The building program must have been quickly expanded and I would guess a lot of the middies were assigned to LACs. With ten personnel per LAC and 108 assigned to a CLAC, that's a lot of people and they are heavy on officers.
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:54 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:And we don't know how many snotties will be on each ship. Based on Hexapuma, there were five middies for a ship of 700. In other words, less than one percent of the crew.

IIRC while there were on seven assigned, the Midshipman's quarters of Hexapuma were sized for eight Snotties. Or just over 1% of the nominal crew size.

If that percentage holds true for other ships, New SD(p)s with full automation would run about 15 snotties and an older ship, like Hercules might run about 50 snotties.

Almost every example we have of snottie cruises shipped out with fewer Snotties than the quarters were designed for.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Eagleeye   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:55 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

ldwechsler wrote:[...]So we are guessing. Also, based on the numbers at the Academy, there will be a lot more ships. And we don't know how many snotties will be on each ship. Based on Hexapuma, there were five middies for a ship of 700. In other words, less than one percent of the crew.[...]

Minor nit: Hexapuma (or any other SAG-C CA) had a crew of 350 or so; a NIKE-BC has something around 750. So the Snotties aboard Hexapuma counted for 1,5% of her crew. After all, even a Roland-DD only have 66 warm bodies aboard. I wonder how many snotties will be aboard one of them ... I guess 2 or 3, max.
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:50 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Eagleeye wrote:Minor nit: Hexapuma (or any other SAG-C CA) had a crew of 350 or so; a NIKE-BC has something around 750. So the Snotties aboard Hexapuma counted for 1,5% of her crew. After all, even a Roland-DD only have 66 warm bodies aboard. I wonder how many snotties will be aboard one of them ... I guess 2 or 3, max.

With a crew of 350 and Snottie Row with 8 berths, the ratio is just over 2%. call it 2% rounded up to the nearest even number.

That would give a Nike 16 berths and a Roland 2.

Older more crew intensive ships would have more berths in Snottie Row than new ships of the same class.

Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:18 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:With a crew of 350 and Snottie Row with 8 berths, the ratio is just over 2%. call it 2% rounded up to the nearest even number.

Older more crew intensive ships would have more berths in Snottie Row than new ships of the same class.

Hmm - Snotties are (extremely) junior officers. Would Snottie Row scale with crew size or would it scale with number of ship officers?

Because the new automated designs appear to run to a higher proportion of officers; most of the reduction appears to have been in the enlisted ranks. Me, I'd suspect that Snotties scale with officers, as they're assisting those officers to learn their jobs and to see how the Snotties will do with actual authority and responsibility.

If that's true a Star Knight might only have a couple more bunks in Snottie Row than a Sag-C, despite carrying a significantly larger total crew...
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:15 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:With a crew of 350 and Snottie Row with 8 berths, the ratio is just over 2%. call it 2% rounded up to the nearest even number.

Hmm - Snotties are (extremely) junior officers. Would Snottie Row scale with crew size or would it scale with number of ship officers?

Because the new automated designs appear to run to a higher proportion of officers; most of the reduction appears to have been in the enlisted ranks. Me, I'd suspect that Snotties scale with officers, as they're assisting those officers to learn their jobs and to see how the Snotties will do with actual authority and responsibility.

I think that they probably scale with the number of tasks, actually. There's no way to know for sure (short of RFC telling us.) Ships with a "flag deck" might have an additional pair of Snottie bunks allotted to the flag staff when there's one aboard?

Post by Brigade XO   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:21 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

There is the fact that the Charles Wilson in Shadow of Victory had ONE snotty on board after having lost seveal who were on the space station when it was destroyed.
So, the CW- which is a fairly heavily armed (as much as a light crusier) Repair/Cargo ship with military grade impellers/powerplants/sensors-tactical suite/particle shielding and a perminent compliment of 8 LACs was assigned someting like 6 snottinies--and it had snotty specific crew quarters built in. Its a warship,(way more than an armed auxilluray) not a freighter, having now blurred the line with the need to be able to defend themselves and accompanying full-up warships into places RMN would never have previously sent a "freighter" or repair ship.
Ok, the class was "a ship type looking for a mission" when desgiened under "the previous administration" but it was designed to take middies on their pre-graduation cruise so it was expected to provide a level of training/experience/testing (including ability to be an officer and assume all the related responsibilies as assigned) as any RNM warship.
Unless it was previousily common to send snotties out on their cruses in repair ships, military frast freighters etc? Haven't been told that I recall.

From that I would guess that ALL of the then available snotty's from the most current class were now assigned to ships and there was still a lot of "spair capacity" in the fleet with what are essentialy training/testing positions for not yet passed midshippersons.

Remember that a LOT of RMN people were lost between BoM and Oyster Bay. After OB, the Navy was struggleing to find people to fill all sorts exising slots (beyond midshipmen) in the existing ships and would appear to have been promoting or moving people into positions which would normaly had a person with a higher rank to bring the EXISTING fleet up to compliment with experienced people.

I don't think midshippersons are being assigned to LACs. Ensigns yes, but not snotties.

In my opinion, given where we are in the story line, there is going to be a shortage of junior officers for years.
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:00 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:There is the fact that the Charles Wilson in Shadow of Victory had ONE snotty on board after having lost seveal who were on the space station when it was destroyed.

So, the CW- ... was assigned someting like 6 snottinies--and it had snotty specific crew quarters built in.

Ms Paula Rafferty was the sole survivor of four Snotties assigned. I didn't scan further so i don't know if more were assigned before the CW joined Scotty's task force.

Snotty row doesn't necessarily have to be built as "Snotty Row"; any crew compartment with the necessary number of bunks could be designated "Snotty Row." In a big ship there might even be multiple compartments designated as "Snotty Row."

That raises the possibility that "Snotty Row" starts at eight bunks (a eight-man unit for enlisted) and grows in multiples of eight.

Brigade XO wrote:I don't think midshippersons are being assigned to LACs. Ensigns yes, but not snotties.

Probably not to LAC crews, but quite possibly to LAC wings and CLACs. Either or both having enough officers to serve as mentors.

Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:57 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Remember that a LOT of RMN people were lost between BoM and Oyster Bay. After OB, the Navy was struggleing to find people to fill all sorts exising slots (beyond midshipmen) in the existing ships and would appear to have been promoting or moving people into positions which would normaly had a person with a higher rank to bring the EXISTING fleet up to compliment with experienced people.

I don't think midshippersons are being assigned to LACs. Ensigns yes, but not snotties.
I agree they wouldn't be assigned to LACs - those have so few officers and men there doesn't seem room for a Snottie to fit in.
I do wonder if Snotties ever get assigned 'cruises' on forts or LAC bases though.

It'd probably be a boring cruise, but on the other hand, until the war the vast majority of Snottie cruises must have been dead boring. Not everybody is lucky enough to get assigned to a ship trolling for pirates in Silesia. Someone's going to get a ship that's just riding in orbit as part of Home Fleet, or out doing survey missions. (Heck even during the war there were plenty of ships that just hung around in defensive fleets for systems that didn't suffer raids or attacks for years at a stretch; so even then there must have been a share of boring Snottie cruises - just simulation and drills to provide stress and allow the newly minted midshipmen's measure to be taken.

The few Snottie cruises we've read about were exciting (and in some cases too exciting) but those have to be the exceptions; not the rule.
Post by Sigs   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:15 pm

Sigs
Rear Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
The problem with all of this is that we are looking at different numbers at different times. Just because RMN is building a certain number of ships at one time does not mean they are building the same number a year later.

That is irrelevant, we know how many ships they had at the beginning of the war and how many ships were under construction. We know that the IAN was struggling to complete their 90 SD(P)'s and had to pull resources from some to complete others faster. We know when the war started and we know when OB happened. We know construction times for SD(P)'s as well...

Between the start of the war and Oyster Bay there was roughly 26 months.

To Build an SD(P) in a hard yard Manticore would need 4.5 months to set up and 18 months while a dispersed yard would take 20 months to build SD(P) but require 3 months of set up time.

I am sure Manticore started a crash build program at the start of the war but even then there would have to be some need to stagger the start times if for no other reason than to build up capabilities. So anything started mid February to mid march 1920 might be done before OB, anything started after likely would not have finished before being destroyed.

There have to be some practical limitations to Manticore's shipyards considering they must have had ships in refit while other had civilian shipping under construction.

ldwechsler wrote:
It would be difficult to build MORE ships than before right after Oyster Bay because the shipyards were destroyed. On the other hand, the government will want more ships.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Manticore and Grayson can build ships post Oyster Bay. Haven can, Beowulf MAY be able to... but Manticore and Grayson don't.

Return to Honorverse