Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 37 guests

Honor's grandparent(s)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor's grandparent(s)
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:04 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:You might try rereading the posts starting here (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9095&p=252234&hilit=+quote#p252219).
That's the previous time Weird Harold attempted to explain how quotes work; then a few posts down John Ross and I provided some examples.

Thank you. But whenever I do these things, it never looks as good as when you other folk do it.

Part of my problem is that I am ancient. I became a senior citizen long enough I could vote based on age past the time I became one. But, really, I try.

Sometimes I am so excited writing I forget. But then again at my age, I forget a lot.

What was I writing about again?
Post by boballab   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:23 pm

boballab
Captain of the List

isaac_newton wrote:IIRC a MAlign conversation where Albrect was checking that Descroix had been 'properly dispatched'... :mrgreen:
[could be wrong though]

There is a conversation in AAC and in it you learn she was not a star line, just an ordinary traitor for money and she thought she was helping Manpower and knew nothing of the Alignment:
"Fortunately, our best and highest surviving contact in Manticore wasn't in Zilwicki's files and remained in place. She wasn't really what we could consider a reliable asset—she was using us as much as we were using her, and she definitely had her own agenda—but Descroix was willing to do what she could to mitigate Manty operations against us and assist with damage control domestically in the wake of the 'Manpower Incident' in return for our financial support and the intelligence we could provide her. Unfortunately, she was completely unwilling to do the main thing we wanted out of her."
"Which was?" Sandusky prompted, as if he didn't already know the answer to his own question, when she paused.
"Which was to get rid of the damned cease-fire," Aldona said flatly. "We wanted Manticore and Haven shooting at each other again.

At All Costs Chapter 2

"I'd like to think that someone in the Navy somewhere has at least the IQ of a gerbil!" Rear Admiral Rozsak on the officers in the SLN
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:28 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:You might try rereading the posts starting here (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9095&p=252234&hilit=+quote#p252219).
That's the previous time Weird Harold attempted to explain how quotes work; then a few posts down John Ross and I provided some examples.

Thank you. But whenever I do these things, it never looks as good as when you other folk do it.

That's just a matter of practice.

For quoting and quoting attribution specifically:
(all brackets []s left out to prevent activation.)

There are three parts to the format tags to quote.

1: Last is the '/quote' tag to mark the end of a quote. There must be one and only one '/quote' tag for every 'quote' tag. Each '/quote' will close the section between it and the immediate previous 'quote' tag.

Use the ctrl-F find function to search out every [/q and insert a return (enter) before it to move it to the left margin. Insert a return after the whole tag to put it on its own line if necessary.

2: Next is the Open 'QUOTE' tag. This begins a quoted section. without the optional attribution parameter, it only does that.

Use the Ctrl-F find function to search for [Q and add returns to move it to its own line at the left margin.

3: The Attribution Parameter: ="text" can be added to the open quote tag inside the square brackets with no extra spaces. This will add text wrote: at the beginning of the quoted text. To find and remove attributions, use the Ctrl-F function to find =" and delete everything to the second " inside the square brackets. (Control-F activates the Find function in most Windows browsers. for MAC/Apple users, I believe Command-F does the same.)

Once you have the tags where they can easily be found, start from the bottom and pair up the /quote tags with the Quote tags and eliminate any orphaned /quote tags from others hitting the nested quote limits and only disabling or deleting the open Quote tags.

Where you are having trouble is with orphan /Quote tags pairing up with the wrong Quote tag.

AN ALTERNATIVE METHOD:

Begin your post by deleting everything quoted by the "reply with quote" button or start from the "post reply" link.

Scroll down to the post you want to reply to and highlight however much you need to identify the point you're replying to.

Click the "Quote {user}" link at the beginning of the post you're replying to.

Reply to the section you quoted and make sure your text cursor is at the bottom of the reply.

Repeat for each section or user you wish to respond to.

Preview your post to make sure quotes were inserted properly and submit.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by pappilon   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:07 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
feyhunde wrote:Beyond that Star Lines are curated. The Harringtons proper have been in the Kingdom for over 400 years, and thus would not themselves be easily upgraded with the new changes.

You're missing the "lost alpha line" qualifier of the original post. Honor's grandparents would have to be a "Lost Line" that the MAlign no longer has any influence over -- or possible no knowledge of.

Well that leaves out her maternal line, since it was well established before The Incident. And no way There was collusion between Benton-Ramirez & Chous and Lenny D. after The Incident

Pretty tricky to insert an Alpha line into a Beowulf designed mod like the Meyerdahl either. Were no Alpha lines pre The Incident" and no collusion post.

If there is a lost line on Manticore, My money is on the Summervales. As in Denver Summervale. of course he cold be just an outlier in a perfectly ordinary family.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Fox2!   » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:32 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

saber964 wrote:According to a friend the intelligence community has an acronym for intelligence assets and defectors. It's MICE

M Money

I Ideology

C Conscience

E Ego

Money is self explanatory Admiral Rajani 3.4 billion reasons.

Ideology is when someone believes in the cause or philosophy

Conscience is when you don't agree with the philosophy or action or activity done. Jack McBryde is an example of this

Ego I am better than my boss or bosses

No sex? Honey traps are among the oldest lures, going back to Samson.
Post by pappilon   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:36 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
saber964 wrote:
M Money

I Ideology

C Conscience

E Ego

Rolls into ego. Some hottie takes interest in me, I know there's sometint awfuwwy scwewy goin' on awoun' heow. But some of you handsome alpha kinda guys, maybe not so much.

Or we can call'em MICES. :lol:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by robert132   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:21 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Fox2! wrote:
saber964 wrote:According to a friend the intelligence community has an acronym for intelligence assets and defectors. It's MICE

M Money

I Ideology

C Conscience

E Ego

Conscience is when you don't agree with the philosophy or action or activity done. Jack McBryde is an example of this

Sex actually rates more poorly than these other four though there was a time when Blackmail by way of the honey trap was Numero Uno. But when KGB started getting "marks" who were caught on camera with "honeypots" (same or opposite sex,) were presented with the classic "give us XXXX or we send these photos to (your boss, commander, WIFE, etc) and the "marks" instead started asking "Can I get 8 x 10 blowups of these" (this was at the height of the sexual revolution KGB realized the bloom was off that particular rose for at least a few generations. :lol:

I actually did get this explanation from a military counter-intel guy.

Frankly EGO is #1 IMO and always has been. John Walker, former USN Radioman and Warrant Officer. Look him up.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by kzt   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:43 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

The version I was taught C is Compromise or Coercion.
Post by saber964   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:45 pm

saber964
Admiral

robert132 wrote: quote="Fox2!"]

M Money

I Ideology

C Conscience

E Ego

Sex actually rates more poorly than these other four though there was a time when Blackmail by way of the honey trap was Numero Uno. But when KGB started getting "marks" who were caught on camera with "honeypots" (same or opposite sex,) were presented with the classic "give us XXXX or we send these photos to (your boss, commander, WIFE, etc) and the "marks" instead started asking "Can I get 8 x 10 blowups of these" (this was at the height of the sexual revolution KGB realized the bloom was off that particular rose for at least a few generations. :lol:

I actually did get this explanation from a military counter-intel guy.

Frankly EGO is #1 IMO and always has been. John Walker, former USN Radioman and Warrant Officer. Look him up.[/quote]

Not really IIRC it was both money and ego. His son was the one who really got shafted. He got 20 years in prison for $1800 traded for a few dozen documents. Another money one was Aldrich Aims IIRC close to $500.000.
Post by robert132   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:03 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

saber964 wrote:Not really IIRC it was both money and ego. His son was the one who really got shafted. He got 20 years in prison for $1800 traded for a few dozen documents. Another money one was Aldrich Aims IIRC close to $500.000.

Money was it at the very start but when the KGB ledger books became available the amount of money Walker garnered off the Soviets was ridiculously small when you consider how much information he was passing to the Soviets over a period of DECADES before he was finally caught. IIRC it was only around $1 million or so and at that he was paying his brother Arthur out of that.

A friend of mine at the time was a Security Manager at COMNAVSURFLANT and she had conducted one of the periodic personal interviews of Mr Walker done as part of his 5 year anniversary BUBI (Bring Up Background Investigation.) According to her, once he got nailed the FBI and NIS talked with HER and checked her interview notes to see what, if anything he might have let slip to her that might have started red lights flashing and red flags flying.

There was nothing. "Ice cream wouldn't have melted in his mouth" was how she put it to me. And also according to her he was very impressed with his own intelligence, and (what I took away from the post bust interviews) with his own cleverness in avoiding capture since his days as a Radioman during the Vietnam War years, handing cryptographic materials to the Soviets.

Money was the initial draw for him, EGO kept him "in the game."

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.

Return to Honorverse