Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

Honor's grandparent(s)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor's grandparent(s)
Post by glott   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:42 pm

glott
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

saber964 wrote:According to a friend the intelligence community has an acronym for intelligence assets and defectors. It's MICE

M Money

I Ideology

C Conscience

E Ego

Money is self explanatory Admiral Rajani 3.4 billion reasons.

Ideology is when someone believes in the cause or philosophy

Conscience is when you don't agree with the philosophy or action or activity done. Jack McBryde is an example of this

Ego I am better than my boss or bosses

Fox2! wrote:No sex? Honey traps are among the oldest lures, going back to Samson.

robert132 wrote:Sex actually rates more poorly than these other four though there was a time when Blackmail by way of the honey trap was Numero Uno. But when KGB started getting "marks" who were caught on camera with "honeypots" (same or opposite sex,) were presented with the classic "give us XXXX or we send these photos to (your boss, commander, WIFE, etc) and the "marks" instead started asking "Can I get 8 x 10 blowups of these" (this was at the height of the sexual revolution KGB realized the bloom was off that particular rose for at least a few generations. :lol:

I actually did get this explanation from a military counter-intel guy.

Frankly EGO is #1 IMO and always has been. John Walker, former USN Radioman and Warrant Officer. Look him up.

IMHO, E could stand for Extortion as well as Ego.

Anyone else remember Commander Marquette, in the short story "What Price Dreams?" It was extortion that made her give up the Blue File that contained Princess Adrienne's full itinerary. And just imagine what the MAlign could do with the North Hollow files. :twisted:
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

"...the ability of an entrenched, bureaucratic military to ignore anything which challenges its fundamental working assumptions simply cannot be exaggerated." - David Weber
Post by saber964   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:29 pm

saber964
Admiral

glott wrote:
saber964 wrote:According to a friend the intelligence community has an acronym for intelligence assets and defectors. It's MICE

M Money

I Ideology

C Conscience

E Ego

Money is self explanatory Admiral Rajani 3.4 billion reasons.

Ideology is when someone believes in the cause or philosophy

Conscience is when you don't agree with the philosophy or action or activity done. Jack McBryde is an example of this

Ego I am better than my boss or bosses

Fox2! wrote:No sex? Honey traps are among the oldest lures, going back to Samson.

robert132 wrote:Sex actually rates more poorly than these other four though there was a time when Blackmail by way of the honey trap was Numero Uno. But when KGB started getting "marks" who were caught on camera with "honeypots" (same or opposite sex,) were presented with the classic "give us XXXX or we send these photos to (your boss, commander, WIFE, etc) and the "marks" instead started asking "Can I get 8 x 10 blowups of these" (this was at the height of the sexual revolution KGB realized the bloom was off that particular rose for at least a few generations. :lol:

I actually did get this explanation from a military counter-intel guy.

Frankly EGO is #1 IMO and always has been. John Walker, former USN Radioman and Warrant Officer. Look him up.

IMHO, E could stand for Extortion as well as Ego.

Anyone else remember Commander Marquette, in the short story "What Price Dreams?" It was extortion that made her give up the Blue File that contained Princess Adrienne's full itinerary. And just imagine what the MAlign could do with the North Hollow files. :twisted:

IIRC Marquette was taking bribes to throw contract some company that cut corners and killed some RMN people. Plus Extortion is almost always rooted in money.
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:23 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Sex is actually a subset of Ego. The idea that you are more sexually attractive and able is a great motivator.

Many of the people turned are not very attractive or powerful. They are resentful of that and suddenly finding someone attractive interested in them is a great motivator.

In today's world where we have transexuals in key positions, evidence of homosexuality and adultery is rather boring.
Post by Fox2!   » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:48 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

saber964 wrote:

IIRC Marquette was taking bribes to throw contract some company thaAt cut corners and killed some RMN people. Plus Extortion is almost always rooted in money.

And got her killed once her usefulness ended, and she posed a greater risk to the operation if she was turned by Manticoran intelligence or the PGS.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:07 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:Sex is actually a subset of Ego. The idea that you are more sexually attractive and able is a great motivator.

Many of the people turned are not very attractive or powerful. They are resentful of that and suddenly finding someone attractive interested in them is a great motivator.

In today's world where we have transexuals in key positions, evidence of homosexuality and adultery is rather boring.

It depends on your constituency. If you were elected on a bible thumping platform, pushing family values and "down home" morals, and got caught in an extra mariatal affair, you may find your job up for grabs next year.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:18 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:

It depends on your constituency. If you were elected on a bible thumping platform, pushing family values and "down home" morals, and got caught in an extra mariatal affair, you may find your job up for grabs next year.[/quote]

Few elected officials, certainly important ones, are real targets. Lower level officials, people in business who might give useful information, are far more likely to be victims of this.

Going after a leading official is tricky. Lots of people around. Notice that Bradley (Chelsea) Manning was a file clerk. That's the kind of person targeted (not that sex was a reason in that case).

A lot of hotels in Moscow for tourists were set up with cameras years ago. A businessman with access to company secrets would be a perfect target.

Return to Honorverse