Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 69 guests

Rachel Mayhew

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by pappilon   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:18 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:I admit that it would be really cool to see her, but do we have any info that would imply that Rachell will be a part of the next book?

Don

-

Certainly not. Perhaps a side wise request for the topic of the next snippet? We have no ev that she didn't get booted out for blowing up her dorm room. Or that she's allthat close to graduating.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by pappilon   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:24 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
jtg452 wrote:Put her on a Grayson heavy cruiser- the GSN Francis Mueller. :lol:

Is that the second ship of the new Convict class of CA?

Nope,that's from the Short Story: A Ship Named Francis

And to paraphrase a really old song lyric: Did he ever return? No, he never returned, And his fate is still unknown.(Poor old Francis) He will roam forever 'neath the Star of Yeltsin, He's the ship that never returned.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:58 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

the idea of Rachel and Hipper doing fussy lie detector work for Medusa and co is quite a good one.

though she could also be quite useful in that role with Sarnow given the number of corrupt governors Silesia has. several of which were allowed to stay due to them gaming the system. so he could probably use a fuzzy lie detector just as much as Meduda & co.

(sorry couldn't resit one last attempt to push my Silesia theory. last time i swear. well for at least a page or 2 :lol: )
Post by cthia   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:09 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

One must temper coddling Rachel with the fact that too much preferential treatment would not be doing her any favors, but actual harm. Simply ensure that she doesn't end up on a tin can or a Santino can.

Akin to the countless parents who coddle their daughters thru high school graduation never allowing them to experience reality, thus truly live. Only to see them die (oftentimes literally) their first year of college because they haven't properly learned to cope.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Kensai   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:50 am

Kensai
Ensign

Vince wrote:And because everything was so rushed, he didn't get the suicide switch programmed nanites (the MAlign's suicide nannies have to be built using the victim's own DNA in order to evade detection by any forensic analysis), although the MAlign thinks he did:
Shadow of Victory, Chapter 17 wrote:He wasn’t entirely happy about the new medical package his employers had provided. He’d seen too many ways in which suicide switches could be rigged even without access to someone’s doctor, and he suspected that his new doctor would have been perfectly happy to do just that. That thought was enough to provoke the occasional bad dream, but they hadn’t really needed any elaborate doctor’s visits to set up something like that. There were much simpler ways to go about it, and he told himself firmly to look at the upside.
If Bardasano was to be believed, the booster to his prolong had just added close to another T-century to his expected lifetime. The ability to see in near-total darkness wasn’t anything at which a field operative was likely to turn up his nose, either. And neither were the repair nanites swarming around his system. Bardasano had demonstrated their efficacy for him by slashing her own palm and then letting him watch as the deep cut closed and began healing before his very eyes. It was almost like carrying his very own regen clinic around with him, although he strongly suspected they violated the prohibitions on self-replicating, broad-spectrum biological nanotech. The times that sort of initially innocuous technology had gotten out of hand were enough to make anyone nervous, but if it was going to be wandering around the galaxy anyway, he might as well get in on it, himself. The oxygen reservoir implanted in his abdomen and the EM spectrum sensors implanted across his shoulder blades were well worth having, as well, and he’d been promised improved anti-disease nannies when he got back, as well. Unlike the repair nanites, they needed to be specifically coded to his own genotype so they could recognize any intruders, and there hadn’t quite been time to get that done before he had to catch his shuttle for his new assignment.
Shadow of Victory, Chapter 43 wrote:“He may not get as deep a look as you’re afraid he will, Father,” Collin said, reaching for his whiskey glass once more. “And even if he does,” he paused to sip from the glass, then smiled coldly, “he did make that trip to the Gamma Center clinic, didn’t he?”
Italics are the author's, boldface and underlined text is my emphasis.

I'm with Vince on this one.

I'm thinking Firebrand, while juiced a bit with the operative bennies, didn't get the suicide nanites.

Had he gotten them, he'd have had them triggered when he got captured in the first place. My opinion...

(side note- Just joined a few days ago and this is my 2nd post. Forgot to wave hello on my first one... :) )
John T.

aka The Philosophical Kensai

"Master your craft lest it master you."
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:49 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Not sure if you have been greeted properly. So, welcome! Have a digital beverage of your choice on me.

It does appear that Firebrand might be in play. Whatever help he may be wth respect to Operation Janus, he knows bupkis about the MAlign's overall plans.

I have a suspicion that once Damien realizes that the GA wants to free the Verge from OFS and let those worlds find whatever futures awaits them, he will experience an epiphany. The GA can give him his heart's most fervent desire. He can see the OFS vision of the Verge's future burn like hydrogen struck by lightning. Even the MAlign couldn't offer him that. I also suspect Indy Graham will be key to triggering that epiphany.

I hope this because my deepest hope is that Indy and Abby spend time together. This bit of speculation supports that view quite well.
Post by JohnRoth   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:02 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Not sure if you have been greeted properly. So, welcome! Have a digital beverage of your choice on me.

It does appear that Firebrand might be in play. Whatever help he may be wth respect to Operation Janus, he knows bupkis about the MAlign's overall plans.

I have a suspicion that once Damien realizes that the GA wants to free the Verge from OFS and let those worlds find whatever futures awaits them, he will experience an epiphany. The GA can give him his heart's most fervent desire. He can see the OFS vision of the Verge's future burn like hydrogen struck by lightning. Even the MAlign couldn't offer him that. I also suspect Indy Graham will be key to triggering that epiphany.

I hope this because my deepest hope is that Indy and Abby spend time together. This bit of speculation supports that view quite well.

I seem to remember RFC saying he had plans for Firebrand. That was some time ago, and plans change.

He doesn't need an epiphany. He's burned his bridges with the SL and he knows too much for the Alignment to let loose. He already has a reasonably high opinion of Manticore. What he needs is a way to convince them he's both useful and trustworthy.

And I agree; he's on the short list of possible Alpha lines that got lost in the shuffle somewhere.
Post by Kensai   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:09 pm

Kensai
Ensign

PeterZ wrote:Not sure if you have been greeted properly. So, welcome! Have a digital beverage of your choice on me.

*cracks open a Guinness*

I share your suspicions vis'a'vis Firebrand.

IIRC, he was very much for verge freedom... and not 100% enamored with the methods being used though if it worked, great. If it gave Manticore a black eye, great.

Eitherway, the SL got issues from it and all that.

I recall the RFC comment about a future plan for Firebrand... It would be interesting if the musing you have on him is correct.

If so, next virtual round on me.
John T.

aka The Philosophical Kensai

"Master your craft lest it master you."
Post by saber964   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:33 pm

saber964
Admiral

Dauntless wrote:the idea of Rachel and Hipper doing fussy lie detector work for Medusa and co is quite a good one.

though she could also be quite useful in that role with Sarnow given the number of corrupt governors Silesia has. several of which were allowed to stay due to them gaming the system. so he could probably use a fuzzy lie detector just as much as Meduda & co.

(sorry couldn't resit one last attempt to push my Silesia theory. last time i swear. well for at least a page or 2 :lol: )

It's a good idea, because the both of them need the help. Like I said in my previous post, what if a liberation group shows up on Spindle or what if the MAlign sends fake representatives to set up ambushes of RMN forces.
Post by saber964   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:40 pm

saber964
Admiral

Hears a thought, Ms. Midshipwoman Joanna Winton and her treecat Jaeger.

I base this on what KRIII did earlier, namely after Elizabeth went to LUM instead of the military and her brother was encouraged into the RMN. I can see Prince Roger going to LUM also and his younger sister being encouraged to go to RMNA SI.

Return to Honorverse