Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Rachel Mayhew

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Rachel Mayhew
Post by TangoLima   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:58 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

Will Rachel Mayhew’s ‘snottie’ cruise happen during Uncompromiseing Honor ?
According to House of Steel she was entering her 2nd academy year in early 1921 P.D.
If the accelerated curriculum has been maintained, her cruise could start late 1922 or early 1923.
I presume she will be assigned to a Manticorean ship for the same reasons given for Abigail Hearns prior to her cruise.
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:31 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

TangoLima wrote:Will Rachel Mayhew’s ‘snottie’ cruise happen during Uncompromiseing Honor ?
According to House of Steel she was entering her 2nd academy year in early 1921 P.D.
If the accelerated curriculum has been maintained, her cruise could start late 1922 or early 1923.
I presume she will be assigned to a Manticorean ship for the same reasons given for Abigail Hearns prior to her cruise.

I would certainly enjoy seeing her in action. Not to mention with her treecat.
Post by TangoLima   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:36 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

Not to mention her arms-man/woman.
Do you think she was assigned one of the Mayhew
arms women ?
She must have originally had an armsman .
Post by Erls   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:14 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

As the child of a a Head of State closely allied with the SEM, I can guarantee that favoritism 'will' play a role in where she goes. I'm not saying she'll end up on Honor's flagship - that would be too much. But, I do think it is highly likely she ends up in one of the following appointments:

1- On a ship commanded (or flagged) by a veteran of the 2nd or 4th battle of Grayson. This would be someone like Scotty Tremaine, or perhaps a Grayson officer serving the the Protector's Own.
2- On a ship commanded by a Graysonite but in the Manticoran fleet. Perhaps someone like Ms. Hearns gets her first command and the SEM decides it is best for her to 'earn her stripes' as a commander on a Manticoran and not Grayson bridge as the first native Grayson female commander.

I don't see someone of her stature, regardless of what she may want (or Benjamin may want) just being assigned in the same manner of everyone else. They will make sure she is with a pro-Grayson commander, where some officers have experience serving with treecats, a good crew, and on a deployment that is not (originally - it is the MWW here) planned for high-risk operations.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:33 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Erls wrote:As the child of a a Head of State closely allied with the SEM, I can guarantee that favoritism 'will' play a role in where she goes. I'm not saying she'll end up on Honor's flagship - that would be too much. But, I do think it is highly likely she ends up in one of the following appointments:

1- On a ship commanded (or flagged) by a veteran of the 2nd or 4th battle of Grayson. This would be someone like Scotty Tremaine, or perhaps a Grayson officer serving the the Protector's Own.
2- On a ship commanded by a Graysonite but in the Manticoran fleet. Perhaps someone like Ms. Hearns gets her first command and the SEM decides it is best for her to 'earn her stripes' as a commander on a Manticoran and not Grayson bridge as the first native Grayson female commander.

I don't see someone of her stature, regardless of what she may want (or Benjamin may want) just being assigned in the same manner of everyone else. They will make sure she is with a pro-Grayson commander, where some officers have experience serving with treecats, a good crew, and on a deployment that is not (originally - it is the MWW here) planned for high-risk operations.

She'll end up with the Protector's Own. I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes the tradition. Scions of the Mayhew Clan serving in the GSN serve in The Protector's Own. Rachael would see the best of both worlds, Grayson's but with a heavy off world influence. They would be devoted to her maturation into the best officer she can be but won't have a native Grayson's deference for the Mayhew family.

She'll love that sort of challenging treatment.
Post by TangoLima   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:43 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

I agree she might eventually end up in the Po.
However Benjamin is more likely to see that she
gets the least favoritism possible to start.
Another factor will be which track she shows promise in.
tactical, intelligence, EW etc.
She 'may' have hidden extraordinary abilities that
become apparent during academy training.
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:00 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Erls wrote:As the child of a a Head of State closely allied with the SEM, I can guarantee that favoritism 'will' play a role in where she goes. I'm not saying she'll end up on Honor's flagship - that would be too much. But, I do think it is highly likely she ends up in one of the following appointments:

Abigail won't be her commander. Abigail is too junior for the job. She was a very early promotion to lieutenant and then early to be Tac officer. She is only a few years out of the Academy. I recall vaguely that she was four years older than Helen Zilwicki.

Five years in, no matter who you are, you don't command.

However, I could see Rachel Mayhew on the same ship as Abigail. That way she could have a "big sister" who might understand problems.

But it is more likely she will be on a large ship because she will probably have more than one armsman.
Post by TangoLima   » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:20 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

I think she will only have one armswoman and Hipper,
to protect her. However I agree she is likely to be
on a BC or larger ship.
Post by Silverwall   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:35 am

Silverwall
Captain (Junior Grade)

She will be placed on a capital ship, you just don't put princesses of the blood on tin cans. ----> Points at the future George the 6th serving on HMS Collingwood a St Vincent class Dreadnought.
Post by pappilon   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:46 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Silverwall wrote:She will be placed on a capital ship, you just don't put princesses of the blood on tin cans. ----> Points at the future George the 6th serving on HMS Collingwood a St Vincent class Dreadnought.

But ...but wait! Abigail didn't serve on an SD for her snotty cruise. She's not much less the daughter of a head of state. And our (and their) Duchess Steadholder Alexander-Harrington is also a head of state. (Dang those Graysons, they'll hang a steading around anyone's neck)

I wouldn't be surprised over a plot twist that puts her on a Havenite ship. GA and all that. Possibly a brand spanking new one fresh out of refitting in Beowulf from Bolthole.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Honorverse