Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mycall4me and 29 guests

Rachel Mayhew

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:46 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:Here's what I see happening on Ms. Midshipwoman Rachel Mayhew she'll be assigned to a moderately dangerous area like Silesia or Talbott. My guess is Talbott. She will be assigned not a front line unit in Tenth Fleet but one of the ships patrolling the various star systems of the TQ. I can also see her being short stopped and being assigned to HMS Hercules and bouncing between Medusa and Khumalo staff's as a TSL translator for are resident fuzzy lie detectors.

I keep forgetting about Hipper. She and her much needed furry lie detector are headed with the PO wherever Honor is going. The extra 'cat and human fluent in sign will be needed there as badly as Mike needs them in Talbot.
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:30 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
saber964 wrote:Here's what I see happening on Ms. Midshipwoman Rachel Mayhew she'll be assigned to a moderately dangerous area like Silesia or Talbott. My guess is Talbott. She will be assigned not a front line unit in Tenth Fleet but one of the ships patrolling the various star systems of the TQ. I can also see her being short stopped and being assigned to HMS Hercules and bouncing between Medusa and Khumalo staff's as a TSL translator for are resident fuzzy lie detectors.

I keep forgetting about Hipper. She and her much needed furry lie detector are headed with the PO wherever Honor is going. The extra 'cat and human fluent in sign will be needed there as badly as Mike needs them in Talbot.

why would Hipper be needed when Nimitz is around? Yes, I know we'd like to see her but there is no hint from RFC that she will appear.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:19 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Honor has a formidable reputation. Rachel is a midshipman. Tell me that unsuspecting interviewees would be less guarded with The Salamander? Besides, the more effectively communicating pairs the better and more effective any Intel ops can be.
Post by saber964   » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:23 pm

saber964
Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
PeterZ" [quote="saber964 wrote:Here's what I see happening on Ms. Midshipwoman Rachel Mayhew she'll be assigned to a moderately dangerous area like Silesia or Talbott. My guess is Talbott. She will be assigned not a front line unit in Tenth Fleet but one of the ships patrolling the various star systems of the TQ. I can also see her being short stopped and being assigned to HMS Hercules and bouncing between Medusa and Khumalo staff's as a TSL translator for are resident fuzzy lie detectors.

why would Hipper be needed when Nimitz is around? Yes, I know we'd like to see her but there is no hint from RFC that she will appear.[/quote]

The reason why I think she'll be short-stopped is because Khumolo and Medusa will really need a resident Treecat at least temporally. IIRC there are currently 3 treecats in the TQ. All of which are on the ships of Second and Tenth Fleets. What would happen if a messenger from one of the liberation groups goes strait to Spindle instead of one of the frontline worlds. Remember Ackenbrandt stopped at Montana because he saw so much of the fleet in orbit and activated a contingency plan but he was bound for Spindle originally. How much harder would've it been to convince Medusa & Co to act if he had not been filtered by Mike and Alfredo before hand.
Post by n7axw   » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:20 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I admit that it would be really cool to see her, but do we have any info that would imply that Rachell will be a part of the next book?

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by jtg452   » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:44 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

Put her on a Grayson heavy cruiser- the GSN Francis Mueller. :lol:
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:17 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

jtg452 wrote:Put her on a Grayson heavy cruiser- the GSN Francis Mueller. :lol:

Is that the second ship of the new Convict class of CA?
Post by pappilon   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:36 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:The reason why I think she'll be short-stopped is because Khumolo and Medusa will really need a resident Treecat at least temporally. IIRC there are currently 3 treecats in the TQ. All of which are on the ships of Second and Tenth Fleets. What would happen if a messenger from one of the liberation groups goes strait to Spindle instead of one of the frontline worlds. Remember Ackenbrandt stopped at Montana because he saw so much of the fleet in orbit and activated a contingency plan but he was bound for Spindle originally. How much harder would've it been to convince Medusa & Co to act if he had not been filtered by Mike and Alfredo before hand.

No, they don't. That's already a SOP. Or is it a Standing Order. anybody comes looking for Manty support gets it. However,when Zavala returns with Mr. Firebrand ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Eagleeye   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:04 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

pappilon wrote:
saber964 wrote:The reason why I think she'll be short-stopped is because Khumolo and Medusa will really need a resident Treecat at least temporally. IIRC there are currently 3 treecats in the TQ. All of which are on the ships of Second and Tenth Fleets. What would happen if a messenger from one of the liberation groups goes strait to Spindle instead of one of the frontline worlds. Remember Ackenbrandt stopped at Montana because he saw so much of the fleet in orbit and activated a contingency plan but he was bound for Spindle originally. How much harder would've it been to convince Medusa & Co to act if he had not been filtered by Mike and Alfredo before hand.

No, they don't. That's already a SOP. Or is it a Standing Order. anybody comes looking for Manty support gets it. However,when Zavala returns with Mr. Firebrand ...

Assuming Mr. Firebrand aka Damian Harahap is still alive to spill his beans. After all, he went to the clinic in the Gamma-Center, did he not?
Post by Vince   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:33 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

pappilon wrote:No, they don't. That's already a SOP. Or is it a Standing Order. anybody comes looking for Manty support gets it. However,when Zavala returns with Mr. Firebrand ...
Eagleeye wrote:Assuming Mr. Firebrand aka Damian Harahap is still alive to spill his beans. After all, he went to the clinic in the Gamma-Center, did he not?

And because everything was so rushed, he didn't get the suicide switch programmed nanites (the MAlign's suicide nannies have to be built using the victim's own DNA in order to evade detection by any forensic analysis), although the MAlign thinks he did:
Shadow of Victory, Chapter 17 wrote:He wasn’t entirely happy about the new medical package his employers had provided. He’d seen too many ways in which suicide switches could be rigged even without access to someone’s doctor, and he suspected that his new doctor would have been perfectly happy to do just that. That thought was enough to provoke the occasional bad dream, but they hadn’t really needed any elaborate doctor’s visits to set up something like that. There were much simpler ways to go about it, and he told himself firmly to look at the upside.
If Bardasano was to be believed, the booster to his prolong had just added close to another T-century to his expected lifetime. The ability to see in near-total darkness wasn’t anything at which a field operative was likely to turn up his nose, either. And neither were the repair nanites swarming around his system. Bardasano had demonstrated their efficacy for him by slashing her own palm and then letting him watch as the deep cut closed and began healing before his very eyes. It was almost like carrying his very own regen clinic around with him, although he strongly suspected they violated the prohibitions on self-replicating, broad-spectrum biological nanotech. The times that sort of initially innocuous technology had gotten out of hand were enough to make anyone nervous, but if it was going to be wandering around the galaxy anyway, he might as well get in on it, himself. The oxygen reservoir implanted in his abdomen and the EM spectrum sensors implanted across his shoulder blades were well worth having, as well, and he’d been promised improved anti-disease nannies when he got back, as well. Unlike the repair nanites, they needed to be specifically coded to his own genotype so they could recognize any intruders, and there hadn’t quite been time to get that done before he had to catch his shuttle for his new assignment.
Shadow of Victory, Chapter 43 wrote:“He may not get as deep a look as you’re afraid he will, Father,” Collin said, reaching for his whiskey glass once more. “And even if he does,” he paused to sip from the glass, then smiled coldly, “he did make that trip to the Gamma Center clinic, didn’t he?”
Italics are the author's, boldface and underlined text is my emphasis.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.

Return to Honorverse