Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Rachel Mayhew

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by Eagleeye   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:54 am

Eagleeye
Captain of the List

Posts: 584
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:41 am
Location: Halle/Saale, Germany

pappilon wrote:I don't recall any textev that EIII's kids have ever been off Manticore. Not every royal has been adopted, I doubt its a blemish against his character. Mike hasn't ever been adopted either.


Dauntless wrote:true but every one of the last 3 monarchs has bonded with a treecat. before that it was about every other generation since princess adrianne.

but the point about how much off planet time EIII kids have had is a good one. after all manticore has been at war almost constantly for the last 2 decades, with a foe who has shown a willingness to use assassins so I can see palace security being extra paranoid about off world visits even in system.

I mean look at what happened to elizabeth when she visited Yeltsin. now that was another system entirely with outside traditions and security to deal with but only luck stopped that from being much worse.

though arguably with EIII dead but crometry alive and mike's mother as regent the first war would have ended VERY differently.

PeterZ wrote:What stops the treecats sending bonding candidates to the royals? They have a perfectly good reason right now. I see no reason for them to alter their centuries long plan of bonding with the House of Winton.


The fact, that they just did not do it that way? Treecats are known to be very traditional. And stubborn, too. Mainly because of the memory singers, I think. After all, their recorded history is like a ... like a mountain, for god's sake. To overcome (or at least re-evaluate) such a rucksack of tradition (tradition that has proven to be useful for the survival of the species) is anything but easy.
It will go faster, because of the human-treecat-bonds; but don't expect wonders of change in the way treecats regard certain things to be done properly. Like ... oh, bondings with the members of the royal family, or so.
Top
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:34 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5273
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 pm
Location: Colorado

pappilon wrote:I don't recall any textev that EIII's kids have ever been off Manticore. Not every royal has been adopted, I doubt its a blemish against his character. Mike hasn't ever been adopted either.


Dauntless wrote:true but every one of the last 3 monarchs has bonded with a treecat. before that it was about every other generation since princess adrianne.

but the point about how much off planet time EIII kids have had is a good one. after all manticore has been at war almost constantly for the last 2 decades, with a foe who has shown a willingness to use assassins so I can see palace security being extra paranoid about off world visits even in system.

I mean look at what happened to elizabeth when she visited Yeltsin. now that was another system entirely with outside traditions and security to deal with but only luck stopped that from being much worse.

though arguably with EIII dead but crometry alive and mike's mother as regent the first war would have ended VERY differently.

PeterZ wrote:What stops the treecats sending bonding candidates to the royals? They have a perfectly good reason right now. I see no reason for them to alter their centuries long plan of bonding with the House of Winton.


Eagleeye wrote:The fact, that they just did not do it that way? Treecats are known to be very traditional. And stubborn, too. Mainly because of the memory singers, I think. After all, their recorded history is like a ... like a mountain, for god's sake. To overcome (or at least re-evaluate) such a rucksack of tradition (tradition that has proven to be useful for the survival of the species) is anything but easy.
It will go faster, because of the human-treecat-bonds; but don't expect wonders of change in the way treecats regard certain things to be done properly. Like ... oh, bondings with the members of the royal family, or so.

Are we reading the same books? Treecats don't simply leave bonding to chance, especially with the royal family. How often do the Winton's visit Sphynx? They visit occasionally, yet, when they do visit, the odds are that an un-adopted Winton meets up with treecats that results in adoption is pretty high. High enough that in the limited times Winton's visit Sphynx, every Winton royal heir/monarch in the last 3 generations has been adopted. That's not chance.

Why is sending candidates to the Winton heir somehow a problem? They have an excuse now with their role as body guards and very little reason to hide what they have been doing with regards to the Wintons. I'll bet Roger gets adopted and likely Joanna as well, perhaps in UH.
Top
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:12 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 3851
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:25 pm
Location: "Lost Wages", NV

PeterZ wrote:Why is sending candidates to the Winton heir somehow a problem? They have an excuse now with their role as body guards and very little reason to hide what they have been doing with regards to the Wintons. I'll bet Roger gets adopted and likely Joanna as well, perhaps in UH.


Because they don't send just one or two candidates to meet the Winton heirs, they send every 'cat that might be interested/capable of bonding with a human. That wouldn't be terribly practical when they have to beg transport from one planet to another.
.
.
.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Top
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:20 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5273
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 pm
Location: Colorado

Weird Harold wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Why is sending candidates to the Winton heir somehow a problem? They have an excuse now with their role as body guards and very little reason to hide what they have been doing with regards to the Wintons. I'll bet Roger gets adopted and likely Joanna as well, perhaps in UH.


Because they don't send just one or two candidates to meet the Winton heirs, they send every 'cat that might be interested/capable of bonding with a human. That wouldn't be terribly practical when they have to beg transport from one planet to another.


Then they send emissaries and possible guards for future human leaders to live in Mount Royal Palace. These 'cats teach more humans sign language and familiarize more humans to dealing with treecats......and insert potential Winton bond mates.

These creatures aren't dumb. They are likely smarter than humans with regards to social intercourse. Memory
Singers actually allow them to experience 'being' someone else. Well, at least experiencing events from another's perspective. So, yeah, they will use their commitment as an excuse to bond Roger and likely Joanna too.
Top
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by CmdrAthenaAprilist   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:59 pm

CmdrAthenaAprilist
Ensign

Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:53 am
Location: Lacey, WA

PeterZ wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:
Because they don't send just one or two candidates to meet the Winton heirs, they send every 'cat that might be interested/capable of bonding with a human. That wouldn't be terribly practical when they have to beg transport from one planet to another.


Then they send emissaries and possible guards for future human leaders to live in Mount Royal Palace. These 'cats teach more humans sign language and familiarize more humans to dealing with treecats......and insert potential Winton bond mates.

These creatures aren't dumb. They are likely smarter than humans with regards to social intercourse. Memory
Singers actually allow them to experience 'being' someone else. Well, at least experiencing events from another's perspective. So, yeah, they will use their commitment as an excuse to bond Roger and likely Joanna too.

We must remember that treecats don't decide to bond with humans; it just happens. And even if a particular treecat feels the potential, it doesn't mean that any particular human will fulfill that potential! Still, seeing how it does run in families, especially the royal one, I expect Roger, at least, to be adopted sometime in the future,
Top
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:18 pm

ldwechsler
Captain of the List

Posts: 418
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 11:15 am

CmdrAthenaAprilist wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Because they don't send just one or two candidates to meet the Winton heirs, they send every 'cat that might be interested/capable of bonding with a human. That wouldn't be terribly practical when they have to beg transport from one planet to another.


Then they send emissaries and possible guards for future human leaders to live in Mount Royal Palace. These 'cats teach more humans sign language and familiarize more humans to dealing with treecats......and insert potential Winton bond mates.

These creatures aren't dumb. They are likely smarter than humans with regards to social intercourse. Memory
Singers actually allow them to experience 'being' someone else. Well, at least experiencing events from another's perspective. So, yeah, they will use their commitment as an excuse to bond Roger and likely Joanna too.


Weird Harold wrote:We must remember that treecats don't decide to bond with humans; it just happens. And even if a particular treecat feels the potential, it doesn't mean that any particular human will fulfill that potential! Still, seeing how it does run in families, especially the royal one, I expect Roger, at least, to be adopted sometime in the future,


Keep in mind that Elizabeth, unless assassinated, is likely to reign for at least another century. No need to rush things.
Top
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:56 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5273
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 pm
Location: Colorado

Indeed, no need to rush things. However, the Queen of Torch had an attempt made on her life. The Crown Prince of the Andermani Empire had the same folks aim at his life and got his child. Dances On Clouds had an attempt made on her life.

All of these people are whom The People have accepted the obligation to protect. Soul of Steel's children also need protection, so better be safe than sorry when assassins may hide behind even the faces of friends and family. The People have lost an entire clan to this mysterious enemy. They will not sit idly and watch more of those they love embrace Darkness, if Darkness can be deterred.

I truly don't think the 'cats will wait. The only thing they were waiting on was organizing themselves. I suspect they have had enough time.
Top
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by pappilon   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:59 pm

pappilon
Captain of the List

Posts: 446
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:29 pm

PeterZ wrote:Are we reading the same books? Treecats don't simply leave bonding to chance, especially with the royal family. How often do the Winton's visit Sphynx?


Chance = Probability. Yes they do leave it to "chance" while doing all they can to increase the "probability." Buying 1000 lottery tickets does not increase the probability of any one of them winning. but it does give you more chances.

PeterZ wrote:Indeed, no need to rush things. However, the Queen of Torch had an attempt made on her life. The Crown Prince of the Andermani Empire had the same folks aim at his life and got his child. Dances On Clouds had an attempt made on her life.

All of these people are whom The People have accepted the obligation to protect. Soul of Steel's children also need protection, so better be safe than sorry when assassins may hide behind even the faces of friends and family. The People have lost an entire clan to this mysterious enemy. They will not sit idly and watch more of those they love embrace Darkness, if Darkness can be deterred.

I truly don't think the 'cats will wait. The only thing they were waiting on was organizing themselves. I suspect they have had enough time.


Its a work in progress. They paired up with essential haven personnel actually in the manticore system. They sent cats back to Haven with Eloise. I'm sure a delegation will be sent to torch as well. Besides emigration to other worlds increases the chance of their surviving another planetary accident on Sphynx.
Top
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by saber964   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:16 pm

saber964
Admiral

Posts: 2148
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:41 pm
Location: Spokane WA USA

Okay 7 of the last 9 Monarchs or heirs have been adopted. IIRC King Edward I, Queen Adrienne son was not because both the cats and the Winton's hadn't figured it out that it was a good idea and King Michael II because he suffered from sever allergies and rarely if ever left the palace.

As to Treecat adopting heirs and such the singers pass around memory songs of the heirs mind glow and then the various adoption candidates pop up when an heir or potential heir shows up on Sphinx
Top
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:28 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5483
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:01 pm
Location: Virginia, USA

saber964 wrote:
As to Treecat adopting heirs and such the singers pass around memory songs of the heirs mind glow and then the various adoption candidates pop up when an heir or potential heir shows up on Sphinx

That was my recollection as well. Treecats who found the shared mindglow interesting self-selected as candidates and attempted to meet the heir on a visit to Sphinx.

So it wasn't every treecat interested with bonding with a (any) human, like Weird Harold said. It was the much smaller group of 'cats interested in the mindglow of this human.

But now with the 'cats moving around and even unbonded 'cats working with humans it would be easier for interested 'cats to end up in proximity of the heir(s). But I don't see any reason they'd change the initial bit which is sharing the mindglow(s) around to see who feels compatible.
Top

Return to Honorverse