Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tlb and 144 guests

Rachel Mayhew

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:09 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:
Dauntless wrote:intresting question.

I have to agree with most of what was said. Rachel is important but she is not the the heir to the protercship so a SD is way too much ship, even if SD deployments are likely to be more interesting then the standard due to possibly being used in small detachments to swat any BF punishment fleets that try to hammer core worlds or at least shell worlds that decide to secede.

still she is the Benjamin's daughter and both honor and elizabeth would hate for something to happen, more for the inevitable fallout among the keys and the pain it would cause Benjamin rather then worries of problems from Benjamin, so they are not going to use anything smaller then a CA, and probably a SAG-c at that or a BC.

maybe a flight 4 reliant deployed to selisa? should be enough interesting things happening there to keep her and hipper busy without their being exposed to undue risk. and nearly a 1m tons of starship should keep the keys from bleating too much compared to if they used a roland or avalon.

I would expect her posting to be handled similar to Abigail's except that there would probably be a bit more political pressure to make it Grayson rather than Manticoran. Her dad is tthe Protector, after all.

Don

-

Agreed. As I said The Protector's Own is the optimal choice. A GSN formation with a heavy off world influence. I believe those crews will be devoted to her development as an officer much more than devoted to her as a scion of the Mayhew Clan or even as the Protector's eldest daughter.

Now what sort of ship shall she serve in? I do think Grayson Roland or Sag-C variant is most likely. Anything larger would smack of favoritism and anything less modern is simply not safe enough in these unsettled times. Rachael isn't in line for the Protectorship and so should be treated like any other snotty.....in theory. I just can't see a navy that uses as their ultimate dilemma breaker WWLHD straying very far from that theory. Certainly the Protector's Own would adhere to that guideline most strenuously wherever possible.
Post by NervousEnergy   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:02 am

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

On a bit of a tangent... has Rachel had any significant screen time? If so, which book? I remember the name and Hipper, but that's about it.

Guess it's time to re-embark on a Grand Re-Read of the whole series as we wait for the eARC of the last chapter.
Post by Dauntless   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:03 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

but where could the protecters own deploy her ship to give her experience without undue risk?

as far as i know the protectors own is either with honor or in Yeltsin. there are grayson personnel all over as evidence by those lost during Brying's pannicked attack at new tuscanny, but actual grayson navy is fairly concentrated.

pirate patrol has been the go to task for middy cruises for decades. even abby's was technically a seach and rescuse/pirate hunt. now yes silesa is no longer running as wild as it was but i doubt sarnow has completely tamed it and sending Rachel there would give her an excellent look at places that are neither grayson nor manticore.

now an avalon would probably be more then enough ship for the job but the keys would likely take it as an insult if her ship was anything less then a CA as that was what Abby got and I seem to recall that once the Sag-C started coming out of the shipyards in large numbers then a lot of SAG-A and Sag -Bs were given to places like Alizon and marsh, partly to free up people and also to try and mitigate some of the damage high ridge had done.

silesa doesn't need nike class BC, way more ship then such a relatively secure (compared to talbott) area. A flight 4 relaint at just under 1m tons and is about right.

BC to pacify the keys, silesa to give her chance to see new things but also give her the possibly of trouble (which will probably be important to her). reliant because nike's are in short supply and would be wasted in silesa when mike needs them to help 10th fleet, wither by liberating, guarding or just patrolling.
Post by Dauntless   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:07 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

NervousEnergy wrote:On a bit of a tangent... has Rachel had any significant screen time? If so, which book? I remember the name and Hipper, but that's about it.

Guess it's time to re-embark on a Grand Re-Read of the whole series as we wait for the eARC of the last chapter.

she got a tiny mention a couple of books back but it was about 3 lines. she was at the lunch table when honor discussed something with Benjamin. that was it.

major screen time will be arguably back at the adoption in Echoes of Honor.
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:06 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:as far as i know the protectors own is either with honor or in Yeltsin. there are grayson personnel all over as evidence by smaller combatants for piracy patrols
but where could the protecters own deploy her ship to give her experience without undue risk?
those lost during Brying's pannicked attack at new tuscanny, but actual grayson navy is fairly concentrated.

pirate patrol has been the go to task for middy cruises for decades. even abby's was technically a seach and rescuse/pirate hunt. now yes silesa is no longer running as wild as it was but i doubt sarnow has completely tamed it and sending Rachel there would give her an excellent look at places that are neither grayson nor manticore.

now an avalon would probably be more then enough ship for the job but the keys would likely take it as an insult if her ship was anything less then a CA as that was what Abby got and I seem to recall that once the Sag-C started coming out of the shipyards in large numbers then a lot of SAG-A and Sag -Bs were given to places like Alizon and marsh, partly to free up people and also to try and mitigate some of the damage high ridge had done.

silesa doesn't need nike class BC, way more ship then such a relatively secure (compared to talbott) area. A flight 4 relaint at just under 1m tons and is about right.

BC to pacify the keys, silesa to give her chance to see new things but also give her the possibly of trouble (which will probably be important to her). reliant because nike's are in short supply and would be wasted in silesa when mike needs them to help 10th fleet, wither by liberating, guarding or just patrolling.

Prior to the formation of GA, the GSN was tasked with systems defense. They were created to fight the Peeps and keep Grayson free. Grayson merchant shipping was not large enough nor were there enough trained spacers in the GSN to man shoals of fleet. That fleet would have a greater focus on growing smaller combatants and far less on growing the wall of battle.

As I recall Abigail and the GSN ratings in her squadron were given their assignments to provide a cadre of people with small ship experience as the GSN began expanding their smaller units. That argues the GSN was building up their post Havenite Wars fleet.

I am not sure what sort of fleet mix the Graysons will adopt for those their cruisers and destroyers. Will they emphasize the BC like the SEM and if so will they go the Nike route or some smaller variant? Will they focus on more hulls by going the Sag-C route? Will they rely on Rolands and other DDM capable DD models or the Avalon and ERM cruisers?

We don't know yet. What we do know is that there is a transition happening and Racheal will be part of that along with Abigail. One thing I strongly suspect is that Graysons will tend towards wanting more hulls for their new fleet rather than focusing on fewer but more powerful hulls. Those newer hulls can subcontract to the GA for piracy patrol duties.

Now, the question will be how the PO fits into this changing mission priorities. I suspect that some portion of the PO will have to participate in those patrols or their officers and ratings will soon become far less experienced than their regular GSN counter parts.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:29 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
Dauntless wrote:as far as i know the protectors own is either with honor or in Yeltsin. there are grayson personnel all over as evidence by smaller combatants for piracy patrols
those lost during Brying's pannicked attack at new tuscanny, but actual grayson navy is fairly concentrated.

Prior to the formation of GA, the GSN was tasked with systems defense. They were created to fight the Peeps and keep Grayson free. Grayson merchant shipping was not large enough nor were there enough trained spacers in the GSN to man shoals of fleet. That fleet would have a greater focus on growing smaller combatants and far less on growing the wall of battle.

As I recall Abigail and the GSN ratings in her squadron were given their assignments to provide a cadre of people with small ship experience as the GSN began expanding their smaller units. That argues the GSN was building up their post Havenite Wars fleet.

I am not sure what sort of fleet mix the Graysons will adopt for those their cruisers and destroyers. Will they emphasize the BC like the SEM and if so will they go the Nike route or some smaller variant? Will they focus on more hulls by going the Sag-C route? Will they rely on Rolands and other DDM capable DD models or the Avalon and ERM cruisers?

We don't know yet. What we do know is that there is a transition happening and Racheal will be part of that along with Abigail. One thing I strongly suspect is that Graysons will tend towards wanting more hulls for their new fleet rather than focusing on fewer but more powerful hulls. Those newer hulls can subcontract to the GA for piracy patrol duties.

Now, the question will be how the PO fits into this changing mission priorities. I suspect that some portion of the PO will have to participate in those patrols or their officers and ratings will soon become far less experienced than their regular GSN counter parts.

Looking at HoS (May 1921), the GSN just built 52+ of their Avalon analogs since 1919 and 17+ of their Roland analogs in 1921. Their previous domestic DD was the 1904 "Joshua" design, of which they built 44, and their 1904 "David" and 1906 "Glory" CL designs of which they built 25- in addition to the 19 ex-RMN ships gifted in 1902-3.

So before 1919, they had ~90 light ships minus any loses or retirements. After 1919, they built 69 ships in ~3 years, with roughly another 9 months more production before OB. So they were already past the point of retiring the oldest RMN gift ships, and should have been able to replace all their first war light units by Oyster Bay.

However, HoS only indicates that the 7 Mathias class DDs (ex-nobelese DDs, the DD consort to the old Courageous CLs) and the 2 frigates Honor captured were retired by May of 1921. But, the 1920 Fleet list only counts 20 DDs and 40 CLs - indicating MASSIVE losses in light units. considering dribs and drabs of the rest of the classes still survive, Grayson's building suggests a doubling in the light unit force of the GSN - or more....
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:15 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Silverwall wrote:
To be blunt Abigail is in WW1 terms a princess of Denmark or luxemborg. Rachel is Literally in the same position as the future KG VI. Second or third in line for the throne of a great power.

Actually, no.

Her father is the autocratic head of state (his power limited only in a few specific ways by the Grayson system [read "imperial"] constitution) of a member kingdom of the aforesaid empire which probably has a population of at least 30-40,000,000 (planetary population 2.9 billion; number of steadings=84; many of them [like Harrington Steading] with less than average populations because of length of establishment, climate, etc., which means the older steadings, like Burdette, generally have larger than average populations) And his family has held steading in Owens Steading for about 1,000 years in unbroken line of succession. There's a reason the Keys were able to wiggle out from under the Mayhew thumb in the years between Benjy the Great and the Mayhew Restoration.

There are relatively few heads of state anywhere in the galaxy who can rival her dad's position of power --- and wealth --- as Oversteegan gently points out to someone or other (gee, can't remember who or why :lol:) in a conversation having something or other to do with treecats during her snotty cruise.

And, unlike Rachel, Abigail is in the succession under the new dispensation.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:06 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
Actually, no.

Her father is the autocratic head of state (his power limited only in a few specific ways by the Grayson system [read "imperial"] constitution) of a member kingdom of the aforesaid empire which probably has a population of at least 30-40,000,000 (planetary population 2.9 billion; number of steadings=84; many of them [like Harrington Steading] with less than average populations because of length of establishment, climate, etc., which means the older steadings, like Burdette, generally have larger than average populations) And his family has held steading in Owens Steading for about 1,000 years in unbroken line of succession. There's a reason the Keys were able to wiggle out from under the Mayhew thumb in the years between Benjy the Great and the Mayhew Restoration.

There are relatively few heads of state anywhere in the galaxy who can rival her dad's position of power --- and wealth --- as Oversteegan gently points out to someone or other (gee, can't remember who or why :lol:) in a conversation having something or other to do with treecats during her snotty cruise.

Gee, RFC. That sounds like something that would make a really interesting short story or side novel. Or, possibly, an interquel showing what Grayson has been up to and going even more in-depth into its society. Given that Raoul and Katherine are as much Grayson as Manticoran, I'd think more detail on the society of their other home star system would be a fabulous setup for those upcoming next-generation books.

Don't you think? ::bats lashes adorably::
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by TangoLima   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:41 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

Hey Rose

Where did you get 'bat's lashes' this close to
Halloween ?
All the stores I checked are sold out.
Post by Silverwall   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:01 pm

Silverwall
Captain (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:
Silverwall wrote:
To be blunt Abigail is in WW1 terms a princess of Denmark or luxemborg. Rachel is Literally in the same position as the future KG VI. Second or third in line for the throne of a great power.

Actually, no.

Thanks for the clarification on steadholding size. What I was trying to get at is a relative sense of importance of Abigails position compared to the daughter of the protector. If we equate Rachels position to the second son of the King of England then I feel that equating Abigail to a danish princess is a reasonable relative standing between them.

Also can you clarify the interpretation of the quote by Vince viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9117&start=10#p252548 as my interpretation of this is that the protectorship is simply preserving male progeniture similar to how earth monarchies worked historically rather than saying she is completely excluded. And if I remember correctly there is only one brother and an Uncle in the immediate family who would be close enough to superseed her claim.

The reason I ask is that historically even in cultures not ammenable to having queens once you get beyond the immediate males (Uncles, First cousins) it is rare to bypass a womans claim without a minimum of a major succession crisis or outright civil war. The common solution being to name the husband of the senior female heir ruler to preserve the kingly bloodline once the next generation is in place. It would be interesting to hear if this solution applied in practicality in much of earths history applies to Grayson.

Return to Honorverse