Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests

Rachel Mayhew

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:53 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

drothgery wrote:
akira.taylor wrote:On a moderately serious note: if Rachel Mayhew is assigned to a Grayson ship, I think it has to be a Superdreadnaught - nothing smaller has female berthing in the GSN. At least, that was the state of afairs the last I heard.
That was quite a while ago, though.

With more female crews, the GSN will have to adapt. Either relax the rules or set up some crew space specifically for woman...the way the US does on some ships.
Post by pappilon   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:00 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

akira.taylor wrote:On a moderately serious note: if Rachel Mayhew is assigned to a Grayson ship, I think it has to be a Superdreadnaught - nothing smaller has female berthing in the GSN. At least, that was the state of afairs the last I heard.

drothgery wrote: That was quite a while ago, though.

ldwechsler wrote:With more female crews, the GSN will have to adapt. Either relax the rules or set up some crew space specifically for woman...the way the US does on some ships.

Why the insistence of keeping her on Grayson ships? Just like our Miss Owens, it would seem better for her and the Grayson navy to he=ave her serve on RMN ships. The professionalism she would learn there to take back would fit more with the traditions her father wants his navy to have.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Dauntless   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:59 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

wasn't there an off hand comment probably is storm from the shadows about how grayson rolands would have the space for a couple of female ratings?
Post by saber964   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:37 pm

saber964
Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:quote="drothgery"]
That was quite a while ago, though.

With more female crews, the GSN will have to adapt. Either relax the rules or set up some crew space specifically for woman...the way the US does on some ships.[/quote]

They already have adapted. Try reading Obligated Service. The story takes place on a GSN tin can with two female officers, the story takes place around the time of Oyster Bay.
Post by Theemile   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:59 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:wasn't there an off hand comment probably is storm from the shadows about how grayson rolands would have the space for a couple of female ratings?

I believe that was the Grayson version if the Valiant CL.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:11 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:With more female crews, the GSN will have to adapt. Either relax the rules or set up some crew space specifically for woman...the way the US does on some ships.

Or they could have done what has occasionally been discussed for US subs and make a few ships 100% female.

But unless the upper ranks were dominated by RMN loaned officers I think they'd have moved to more integrated ships (with maybe compartment by compartment gender separation) before they had enough GSN females of sufficient seniority to fill all the senior enlisted and officer posts.
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:29 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:

Or they could have done what has occasionally been discussed for US subs and make a few ships 100% female.

But unless the upper ranks were dominated by RMN loaned officers I think they'd have moved to more integrated ships (with maybe compartment by compartment gender separation) before they had enough GSN females of sufficient seniority to fill all the senior enlisted and officer posts.

That's the point. Yes, we see more Grayson women but we have not seen anything about their quarters.

By the way, can you think of a better way to find a husband? Usually there are far more women than men in any social situation. Here there are far fewer women. Talk about a great recruiting tool!
Post by jtg452   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:14 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

HoS states that the Graysons are including gender separate quarters in their new construction. That, and energy weapons, are the major differences between equivalent Manty and Grayson designs

Return to Honorverse