Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 13 guests

Rachel Mayhew

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by n7axw   » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:01 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 4641
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:54 pm
Location: Viborg, SD

Dauntless wrote:while that does sound quite promising i'm not convinced that anyone would send rachel there.

heck after the losses of OB they may have decided the ship is too useful to be left with the misfits and given it an actual semi sane crew.


If you guys can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined!!! :lol:

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Top
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:48 pm

ldwechsler
Captain of the List

Posts: 418
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 11:15 am

n7axw wrote:
Dauntless wrote:while that does sound quite promising i'm not convinced that anyone would send rachel there.

heck after the losses of OB they may have decided the ship is too useful to be left with the misfits and given it an actual semi sane crew.


If you guys can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined!!! :lol:

Don

-


I am beginning to believe that all discussions follow the 2nd law of thermodynamics and fall into entropy.

An interesting discussion about a very minor character is now a series of wisecracks.

We need a new snippet to focus on before we assign the kid to the Enterprise.
Top
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by jchilds   » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:35 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:09 am
Location: Ottawa, ON Canada

Did we ever figure out what name the GNS Francis Mueller bore while in Manticoran service? HMS War Maiden was a Warrior-class, wasn't it?
Top
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by n7axw   » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:26 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 4641
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:54 pm
Location: Viborg, SD

ldwechsler wrote:

I am beginning to believe that all discussions follow the 2nd law of thermodynamics and fall into entropy.

An interesting discussion about a very minor character is now a series of wisecracks.

We need a new snippet to focus on before we assign the kid to the Enterprise.


Wisecracking our way through a discussion trying to settle the fate of a character for whom we have very little textev is the latest fashion in begging for snippets...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Top
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by pappilon   » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:46 am

pappilon
Captain of the List

Posts: 446
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:29 pm

n7axw wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:

I am beginning to believe that all discussions follow the 2nd law of thermodynamics and fall into entropy.

An interesting discussion about a very minor character is now a series of wisecracks.

We need a new snippet to focus on before we assign the kid to the Enterprise.


Wisecracking our way through a discussion trying to settle the fate of a character for whom we have very little textev is the latest fashion in begging for snippets...

Don

-

or at least an invitation for a pronouncement from on high.

Maybe there is a brand spanking new Francis Mueller in the Haven built ships coming off the line. The first being retired with due honors (being fired off into Yeltsin's Star). And following the Manticore trad it gets set on the permanent recycle list of names.
Top
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by Theemile   » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:05 am

Theemile
Admiral

Posts: 2854
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:50 pm
Location: Toledo, Ohio USA

pappilon wrote: or at least an invitation for a pronouncement from on high.

Maybe there is a brand spanking new Francis Mueller in the Haven built ships coming off the line. The first being retired with due honors (being fired off into Yeltsin's Star). And following the Manticore trad it gets set on the permanent recycle list of names.


If the Mueller gets a Haven replacement, it will probably be one of the first ships off the line and be replete with a litany of bugs and gremlins which never seen to be fixed, With Manticorian technology patched into Havenite tech, with French language command consoles popping up at random.

<captain>“What just happened to port fire control?”
<tactical>“Sorry sir, it looks like someone in Hydroponics turned off that light switch again.”
<captain>“Well, have them turn it back on and recycle the radar controller. Helm - do we have starboard aft thrusters yet?”
<helm>“Yes, sir, Johnson is back in his seat and life support occupancy sensor A896786j sees him again.”
<captain>“I though Engineering fixed that?”
<helm>“No sir, they report they have not yet identified the connection between the systems, but service notes state that they did have a work around in place.”
<captain>“So why did it fail again?!”
<helm>“Johnson reports that the toilet paper tube covering the sensor had fallen off and was lying in his chair when he returned from the head.”
<captain>“Not the aft port head? <opening communications> “Captain to Damage Control – send a team prepped for zero-g to the Aft port head – someone flushed it again.”
******
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Top
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by pappilon   » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:57 pm

pappilon
Captain of the List

Posts: 446
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:29 pm

Theemile wrote:
pappilon wrote: or at least an invitation for a pronouncement from on high.

Maybe there is a brand spanking new Francis Mueller in the Haven built ships coming off the line. The first being retired with due honors (being fired off into Yeltsin's Star). And following the Manticore trad it gets set on the permanent recycle list of names.


If the Mueller gets a Haven replacement, it will probably be one of the first ships off the line and be replete with a litany of bugs and gremlins which never seen to be fixed, With Manticorian technology patched into Havenite tech, with French language command consoles popping up at random.

<captain>“What just happened to port fire control?”
<tactical>“Sorry sir, it looks like someone in Hydroponics turned off that light switch again.”
<captain>“Well, have them turn it back on and recycle the radar controller. Helm - do we have starboard aft thrusters yet?”
<helm>“Yes, sir, Johnson is back in his seat and life support occupancy sensor A896786j sees him again.”
<captain>“I though Engineering fixed that?”
<helm>“No sir, they report they have not yet identified the connection between the systems, but service notes state that they did have a work around in place.”
<captain>“So why did it fail again?!”
<helm>“Johnson reports that the toilet paper tube covering the sensor had fallen off and was lying in his chair when he returned from the head.”
<captain>“Not the aft port head? <opening communications> “Captain to Damage Control – send a team prepped for zero-g to the Aft port head – someone flushed it again.”


LMAO,you get nominated in the [/u]Who'd you like to read in a new Honorverse-Anthology[/u]topic.
Top
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by jtg452   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:20 am

jtg452
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:46 pm

ldwechsler wrote:
I am beginning to believe that all discussions follow the 2nd law of thermodynamics and fall into entropy.

An interesting discussion about a very minor character is now a series of wisecracks.

We need a new snippet to focus on before we assign the kid to the Enterprise.


I find it hard to be 'serious' when discussing possible future plot ideas for a bit character that is so minor that it nearly qualifies as a throwaway.

Other than when she got adopted by the treecat (which was a substantial plot point in the development of the Grayson/Manty relationship and Mayhew's dragging the planet out of isolation), she's been little more than window dressing for scenes featuring Honor and her parents.

Nitpicking the plot is part and parcel around here but, sometimes, it gets carried away.
Top
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:31 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5273
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 pm
Location: Colorado

jtg452 wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:
I am beginning to believe that all discussions follow the 2nd law of thermodynamics and fall into entropy.

An interesting discussion about a very minor character is now a series of wisecracks.

We need a new snippet to focus on before we assign the kid to the Enterprise.


I find it hard to be 'serious' when discussing possible future plot ideas for a bit character that is so minor that it nearly qualifies as a throwaway.

Other than when she got adopted by the treecat (which was a substantial plot point in the development of the Grayson/Manty relationship and Mayhew's dragging the planet out of isolation), she's been little more than window dressing for scenes featuring Honor and her parents.

Nitpicking the plot is part and parcel around here but, sometimes, it gets carried away.

Part of the interest are the clues RFC will insert into UH for the next story arc. She will be around in the future. So how will RFC use her? Which from the current list of minor characters will resurface as a more central character? Which will be reintroduced so their deaths may become more poignant story moments?

RFC's internal consistency lends itself to this sort of speculation.
Top
Re: Rachel Mayhew
Post by jtg452   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:40 am

jtg452
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:46 pm

Theemile wrote:If the Mueller gets a Haven replacement, it will probably be one of the first ships off the line and be replete with a litany of bugs and gremlins which never seen to be fixed, With Manticorian technology patched into Havenite tech, with French language command consoles popping up at random.

<captain>“What just happened to port fire control?”
<tactical>“Sorry sir, it looks like someone in Hydroponics turned off that light switch again.”
<captain>“Well, have them turn it back on and recycle the radar controller. Helm - do we have starboard aft thrusters yet?”
<helm>“Yes, sir, Johnson is back in his seat and life support occupancy sensor A896786j sees him again.”
<captain>“I though Engineering fixed that?”
<helm>“No sir, they report they have not yet identified the connection between the systems, but service notes state that they did have a work around in place.”
<captain>“So why did it fail again?!”
<helm>“Johnson reports that the toilet paper tube covering the sensor had fallen off and was lying in his chair when he returned from the head.”
<captain>“Not the aft port head? <opening communications> “Captain to Damage Control – send a team prepped for zero-g to the Aft port head – someone flushed it again.”


That's when the chaplain breaks out in prayer- over the 1-MC - praying for the safety of the crew venturing out into the cold vacuum of space by calling on the Tester to protect them from a whole laundry lists of ways, which are covered individually, in great detail, that they could die. Right?

Now throw in a misfit Havenite crew led by a Legislaturist captain that was so incompetent that even Randsome and St Just didn't see the need to replace him, a harmless 'political officer' that was so bad at his job that he was never recalled after the restoration of the Republic and, maybe a bloodthirsty, 'wound a little too tightly', junior bridge officer that still lapses 'Citizen this' and 'Citizen that' when stressed and is rumored to even sleep at attention.

Now, imagine putting them up against a SLN force led by an officer that has heard the reports of how good the Manties, Graysons and Havenites are and he believes them, maybe, even a little too much. Maybe an Honor Harrington fanboy with a contact in Solly intel (maybe an in-law with a sick sense of humor) that has been telling him, informally, about the war in the Haven Sector for years- with the occasional 'embellishment' thrown in here and there.
Top

Return to Honorverse