Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 54 guests

Genetic engineering ?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Genetic engineering ?
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:14 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:To get back on topic:

Right now some deaf people (I hate the term hearing impaired. I am impaired being deaf in one ear but that is not the same as not being able to hear at all) are fighting treatments to allow people to hear. They are concerned about the destruction of their culture. So where do we go?

And therein lies part of the problem- the "culture"- or at least the perception of a culture within and without groups of people who define themselves (or others) based on those perceptions.

How many things can you think of that end up creating a sense of culture in humans? Blindness (either "natural" by some imparment a person is born with or inflicted by illness or trauma), deafness (same range), shortness, height, skin color, language, religious beliefs (or lack of) political beliefs, special skill sets- mechanical, mental etc mostly learned over time, paticipation in some activity, membership in a class or cast. The list goes on and on.

What is "bad"? What is good? The example of short (not dwarf but it was specificaly said "short") is only one position of why something is beneficial to humans- from a very specific point of view and I suggest it could reflect a sincere belief that the outliend conservation of resources by having people all "short"---or its just a point for argument.

You do realize that there are entire industries and belief systems built on making something out of others being different and there is a long history of violence being associated with both making a given difference important for some people or the being who are having things done to them or inflicted upon the for being different to break out of that situation? Race comes to mind. So does religion.

Should we pursue things like genetic changes that would eliminate things now considered congential birth defects? How about hair color. We don't really know. If we can change genetics does it have to be at the conception or pre-conception level or can you, eventualy, insert a change into a child or an adult that will correct some preceived error in their physiology?
Is that even possible without killing the individual? At our present level of understanding we do know that there are hundreds if not thousands of interactions between genes which do things to and for our bodies. It's not just snip this, substitute that, inject X into Y and you get B. It appears that genes turn on or off for affecting things at different stages of development and it is way more subtile than one tiny portion of the genetics of an individual- acting alone- does one (and only one) thing......except that there seem to be a lot of things that if you play with them will just kill you and we really have no idea what all of them are. That certainly exists for the early development of an embryo, I'm guessing that holds on a more differentiated bases for a child or adult.

The other question is who gets to decide what should be done. Politics, religion, personal power, "because we can"? The book Jurassic Park is one take on this question. The Alignment in the Honorverse is another. That is the problem, even if we can, should we and who gets to decide that they are going to do it and for what reasons and how do you keep others from doing things like creating the SuperSoldiers of the Final War or eliminating certain Undesirable traits or features from the human genome.

Way beyond my pay grade but I'm sure that there are a lot of people now out in the real world who would grab the chance to impose thier vision of humanity (and of course their personal status in the vision) on the rest of us.

Perhaps there are some of that but I think the vast majority would be content to affect their own children. Almost all of us would be willing to pay to make certain our kids didn't get cancer. And, frankly, the government would be glad to subsidize that because a small procedure before birth might save hundreds of thousands of dollars in cancer treatments later.

The problem is that we've opened Pandora's box. As we can do more, there will be pressure to use more of it. And it will certainly be hoarded by the rich.

Right now they use influence to get kids into the top schools. They pay out large amounts of money and, bingo, the kids are not in the admissions lottery but bypass all possible problems. Why not pay in advance and have your kids smarter and better looking and more disease resistant? It will happen and probably in not all that many years.

RFC has mentioned occasionally the good looks of people living in modern worlds. Some of it may be plastic surgery but a real lot has probably been genetic maneuvering.
Post by aairfccha   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:48 am

aairfccha
Commander

ldwechsler wrote:The problem is that we've opened Pandora's box. As we can do more, there will be pressure to use more of it. And it will certainly be hoarded by the rich.

This overcerebral philosophic concern with a veneer of social justice in the variety of equality in suffering could be applied to just about any complicated procedure or expensive drug.

And as for
Brigade XO wrote:Should we pursue things like genetic changes that would eliminate things now considered congential birth defects?

Should we keep just about guaranteed misery, pain and early death like epidermolysis bullosa around? Evidently a difficult question... for some people at any rate. Fortunately people actually in a position to do something about it aren't as blinkered.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/08/health/gene-therapy-skin-graft.html wrote:Doctors in Europe used gene therapy to grow sheets of healthy skin that saved the life of a boy with a genetic disease that had destroyed most of his skin, the team reported on Wednesday in the journal Nature.

[...]

The boy’s disease, junctional epidermolysis bullosa, causes extremely fragile skin that blisters and tears, and is prone to infections and skin cancer. He had been expected to die but has recovered. Two years after the treatment, he continues to have healthy skin and lead a normal life.

And this was "only" a repair. Now imagine fixing that condition in utero before it becomes a problem.
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:06 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

aairfccha wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:The problem is that we've opened Pandora's box. As we can do more, there will be pressure to use more of it. And it will certainly be hoarded by the rich.

This overcerebral philosophic concern with a veneer of social justice in the variety of equality in suffering could be applied to just about any complicated procedure or expensive drug.

And as for
Brigade XO wrote:Should we pursue things like genetic changes that would eliminate things now considered congential birth defects?

Should we keep just about guaranteed misery, pain and early death like epidermolysis bullosa around? Evidently a difficult question... for some people at any rate. Fortunately people actually in a position to do something about it aren't as blinkered.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/08/health/gene-therapy-skin-graft.html wrote:Doctors in Europe used gene therapy to grow sheets of healthy skin that saved the life of a boy with a genetic disease that had destroyed most of his skin, the team reported on Wednesday in the journal Nature.

[...]

The boy’s disease, junctional epidermolysis bullosa, causes extremely fragile skin that blisters and tears, and is prone to infections and skin cancer. He had been expected to die but has recovered. Two years after the treatment, he continues to have healthy skin and lead a normal life.

And this was "only" a repair. Now imagine fixing that condition in utero before it becomes a problem.

That's exactly my point. There are so many things that are good we can do, where do we stop? I remember the changes for the Draka by Stirling.

They got rid of all brain 'diseases' that kept IQs low. Got rid of diseases. Then they began to do things like improve intelligence greatly for the ruling class. They gave them all perfect memory and savant math skills. They changed the way muscles were attached to bones to increase strength. In theory everything would have been OK under the Beowulf Code.

And it was exactly what the Scrags did but this time they won.

The problem is that it makes sense to improve people. The issue can become who gets the help. It looked like everyone on Manticore got it but not the same for Beowulf... strange in its own way since NOT having it reduces the useful, healthy lifetime.

On Earth now, we know the rich will be using it. They might even be using it already. People with money in India can use a fairly simple process to select sex (they almost always choose males) but in China, female infanticide is not uncommon. This is the kind of choice people will have to make.
Post by aairfccha   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:37 pm

aairfccha
Commander

ldwechsler wrote:This is the kind of choice people will have to make.

You say people but who do you actually mean? "The people" is a well-sounding but ill-defined term.
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:55 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

aairfccha wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:This is the kind of choice people will have to make.

You say people but who do you actually mean? "The people" is a well-sounding but ill-defined term.

It means a lot of things. My children had the usual genetic testing done before birth.

My grandchildren (who are 3 and 1 respectively) may be able to choose to have some genes replaced that would have given them some diseases. There might be other choices.

Government may push on some of these things. It pays to eliminate diseases through genetics before kids are born. The cost of cancer treatments is enormous. Find a way to eliminate most from the genome could save enormous amounts of money.

But some governments might push strength...good way to build good armies. And perhaps special breeding programs (both the Nazis and Soviets did those and with far fewer tools).

And once doctors and scientists figure out how things can be done, how long will it be before people can get "special treatment." Why not have a son that is two meters tall, hung like a cart horse, essentially immune to most disease and with the mind of a genius?

You can bet the rich will get it first.
Post by aairfccha   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:31 pm

aairfccha
Commander

ldwechsler wrote:You can bet the rich will get it first.

That's how technology develops, early adopters pay to get it first, opening the way towards readiness for mass market.
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:19 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

aairfccha wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:You can bet the rich will get it first.

That's how technology develops, early adopters pay to get it first, opening the way towards readiness for mass market.

The implications of this however are immense. The rich already have a lot of benefits. Besides the obvious ones they can pay their way into college and their parents use their friends to get them into the Ivy League, etc. And then use connections to get them onto paths that make them money.

What happens when the rich can make certain their kids live a real lot longer (talk about cutting down on death taxes), are far healthier, better looking, smarter, etc.

We are supposed to have an even playing field. It's already very uneven but we could develop a real caste system.
Post by George J. Smith   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:30 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

ldwechsler wrote:
snip...
We are supposed to have an even playing field. It's already very uneven but we could develop a real caste system.

I would go so far as to say inspite of a lot of people in the 1st world doing their best to abuse their bodies (and governments ruinous running of their countries), the average life expectancy for the 1st world is well above the 2nd & 3rd world averages, IOW there already is a caste system operating in the here and now.
And that does not include the caste systems already in place in a lot of 2nd & 3rd world counties.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:31 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:
snip...

I would go so far as to say inspite of a lot of people in the 1st world doing their best to abuse their bodies (and governments ruinous running of their countries), the average life expectancy for the 1st world is well above the 2nd & 3rd world averages, IOW there already is a caste system operating in the here and now.
And that does not include the caste systems already in place in a lot of 2nd & 3rd world counties.

I do not disagree. But there are amelioratives. Talented folk may rise far more quickly in the Third World (we really don't use the term Second World any more).

But if the wealthy (and I mean the wealthy everywhere, not just First World, can really get built-in advantages, that will exacerbate problems.

My daughter's grandfather never earned much more than a hundred dollars a week. At the end of his working life, he was earning about six thousand dollars.

I was a school teacher and administrator.

My daughter is a full professor (of developmental psychology) at a prestigious college and earns far more than I did. She's met with a lot of big shots (including President Obama) about her work on the impact of poverty on infants.

The progression is not unusual in the US

But if the wealthy can use their money to ensure that their kids come out far better in many ways...and since it's genetics it stays for THEIR kids, many of these things will not exist.

My non-genetically improved grandkids will be competing in sports against kids who have improved strength, stamina and reaction speeds. What fun is there competing in class against a kid who has a perfect memory?

The prom queen will be gorgeous...the perfect body with model quality looks can beat "regular" girls.

And, of course, improved health and longevity helps.

As a society, a lot of changes could be justified for all based on cost factors. Preventing diseases and getting them out of the genome would cut medical costs sharply. But a lot of the best would go to the rich to perpetuate their status in their heirs for many generations.
Post by aairfccha   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:53 pm

aairfccha
Commander

ldwechsler wrote:
But if the wealthy (and I mean the wealthy everywhere, not just First World, can really get built-in advantages, that will exacerbate problems.
[...]
As a society, a lot of changes could be justified for all based on cost factors. Preventing diseases and getting them out of the genome would cut medical costs sharply. But a lot of the best would go to the rich to perpetuate their status in their heirs for many generations.

Well, the answer to that is make it generally available ASAP because if moralist do-gooders try to keep it from everybody to keep the playing field "level" (newsflash: it never truly was and in all likelihood never will be), some will take the implied "only over my dead body" literal.

Return to Honorverse