Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests

Albrecht

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Albrecht
Post by runsforcelery   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:13 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Peregrinator wrote:Wouldn't it be weird if the Mesan "star lines" were effectively "domesticated," like say, silk moths or various cultivars of plants, to the degree where they were dependent upon the laboratory for reproduction? :twisted:

That was actually one of the primary factors in the Final War. Some of the "super soldiers" had been so heavily modified they were no longer fertile and they attacked their creators to secure control of the labs in which they had been --- and any more of their kind would have to be --- created,

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:37 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Just a thought:

Do Albrecht and his wife have any children who are not clones?

You know, done more or less the old-fashioned way.
Post by blackjack217   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:57 pm

blackjack217
Captain (Junior Grade)

ldwechsler wrote:Just a thought:

I seriously doubt it. There's a serious prejudice against "normals" in the inner layer of the Onion. They'd be considered inferior, discriminated against and effectively barred from the highest ranks. Which is a great formula for resentment and possible betrayal. I'd be utterly astonished if the Detweilers ever had anyone but Alpha of Alpha line children.
Post by dlewis0160   » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:02 pm

dlewis0160
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

blackjack217 wrote:

I seriously doubt it. There's a serious prejudice against "normals" in the inner layer of the Onion. They'd be considered inferior, discriminated against and effectively barred from the highest ranks. Which is a great formula for resentment and possible betrayal. I'd be utterly astonished if the Detweilers ever had anyone but Alpha of Alpha line children.

IIRC That was the thought of a mix of the Detweiler genome and the temporary Alpha status of the Bardasano genotype.
Post by pappilon   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:01 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

blackjack217 wrote:I seriously doubt it. There's a serious prejudice against "normals" in the inner layer of the Onion. They'd be considered inferior, discriminated against and effectively barred from the highest ranks. Which is a great formula for resentment and possible betrayal. I'd be utterly astonished if the Detweilers ever had anyone but Alpha of Alpha line children.

dlewis0160 wrote:IIRC That was the thought of a mix of the Detweiler genome and the temporary Alpha status of the Bardasano genotype.

Certainly you are not suggesting a tryst :shock: . I thought the Uplift Board dealt with those messy bits in-house.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by CmdrAthenaAprilist   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:04 pm

CmdrAthenaAprilist
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

pappilon wrote:Certainly you are not suggesting a tryst :shock: . I thought the Uplift Board dealt with those messy bits in-house.

I don't know about you, but I've always rather enjoyed the "messy bits"! ;)
Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:32 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

blackjack217 wrote:

If two Alpha line parents produce children, they are about the farthest thing imaginable from "normals." They represent a random combination of two of the "best" genotypes in existence, and the Alignment is fully aware of the advantages inherent in allowing natural selection to play a part. In addition, oneof the things they are very diligently seeking to avoid is the notion of a "subspecies" which cannot (a) reproduce naturally, or (b) interbreed with the rest of the human race in general. They are after improvement, not that degree of differentiation. It's highly probable that the human race they want to ultimately achieve may not be inter-fertile with "normals" (of whom there are precious few left, really, outside the Sol System by now), but they are consciously working to avoid that situation at this stage. If nothing else, they want their new, superior genotypes to penetrate the racial genetic code as a whole.

So the short answer is that while there may be a prejudice against "normals," Alphas are encouraged to have naturally conceived as well as genetically designed children.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by phillies   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:36 pm

phillies
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:

If two Alpha line parents produce children, they are about the farthest thing imaginable from "normals." They represent a random combination of two of the "best" genotypes in existence, and the Alignment is fully aware of the advantages inherent in allowing natural selection to play a part. In addition, oneof the things they are very diligently seeking to avoid is the notion of a "subspecies" which cannot (a) reproduce naturally, or (b) interbreed with the rest of the human race in general. They are after improvement, not that degree of differentiation. It's highly probable that the human race they want to ultimately achieve may not be inter-fertile with "normals" (of whom there are precious few left, really, outside the Sol System by now), but they are consciously working to avoid that situation at this stage. If nothing else, they want their new, superior genotypes to penetrate the racial genetic code as a whole.

So the short answer is that while there may be a prejudice against "normals," Alphas are encouraged to have naturally conceived as well as genetically designed children.

The astute reader may suspect that the above remark did not exactly answer the question. Tum te tum te tum and all that.
Post by JohnRoth   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:45 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Comment added back in to clarify the flow of thought here.

blackjack217 wrote:Just a thought:

phillies wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:If two Alpha line parents produce children, they are about the farthest thing imaginable from "normals." They represent a random combination of two of the "best" genotypes in existence, and the Alignment is fully aware of the advantages inherent in allowing natural selection to play a part. In addition, oneof the things they are very diligently seeking to avoid is the notion of a "subspecies" which cannot (a) reproduce naturally, or (b) interbreed with the rest of the human race in general. They are after improvement, not that degree of differentiation. It's highly probable that the human race they want to ultimately achieve may not be inter-fertile with "normals" (of whom there are precious few left, really, outside the Sol System by now), but they are consciously working to avoid that situation at this stage. If nothing else, they want their new, superior genotypes to penetrate the racial genetic code as a whole.

phillies wrote:The astute reader may suspect that the above remark did not exactly answer the question. Tum te tum te tum and all that.

You might have left in the bit that RFC was actually addressing. I added it back in to clarify the flow.

As an added note, remember that there is an outer "Mesan Alignment," the members of which have no clue that the Onion exists. They are Alpha etc. genomes in their own right.
Post by pappilon   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:41 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

CmdrAthenaAprilist wrote:
pappilon wrote:Certainly you are not suggesting a tryst :shock: . I thought the Uplift Board dealt with those messy bits in-house.

I don't know about you, but I've always rather enjoyed the "messy bits"! ;)

When I was your age, I most certainly did. too. I suppose I have to accept RFC's explanation that messy bit procreation is not a 1923 PD faux pas in polite Onion Society.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Honorverse