Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 40 guests

Who'd you like to read in a new Honorverse-Anthology?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Who'd you like to read in a new Honorverse-Anthology?
Post by Daryl   » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:07 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Trying to think of a favourite author who hasn't been named, I like all nominated so far.
Taylor Anderson.
Harry Turtledove.
George Martin.

Of those nominated my favourites in no particular order would be. Jim Stirling, John Ringo, Jim Butcher, Eric Flint, Elizabeth Moon, Mercedes Lackey, and Steve White.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:31 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Linda Howard spice things up a bit.

&

Jeff Abbott.

David has the SciFy aspects covered, his romance novel skills not as much as Linda Howard.

Jeff Abbott will add the spy / entertainment / business aspects.

There are lots of Scify authors but RFC doesn't need help on Scify. You hire people who do what you don't to fill in the gaps of what you don't specialize in.

In the end the product is more than just more SciFy.
Post by pappilon   » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:45 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Linda Howard spice things up a bit.

&

Jeff Abbott.

David has the SciFy aspects covered, his romance novel skills not as much as Linda Howard.

Jeff Abbott will add the spy / entertainment / business aspects.

There are lots of Scify authors but RFC doesn't need help on Scify. You hire people who do what you don't to fill in the gaps of what you don't specialize in.

In the end the product is more than just more SciFy.

Which is always the best SciFi anyway. It is about the social commentary, a less threatening way to reflect upon our own culture/world.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by kenl511   » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:36 pm

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

Judy L Nye

Robert Asprin.

They do a good job on the AAAhz and Skeeve series as well as the Phule's company series.

While they don't play well in military SF I also think: Nancy Kress and Kristine Katherine Rusch would have fun playing in the Honorverse.
Post by dvdscar   » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:29 pm

dvdscar
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

kenl511 wrote:Judy L Nye

Robert Asprin.

They do a good job on the AAAhz and Skeeve series as well as the Phule's company series.

While they don't play well in military SF I also think: Nancy Kress and Kristine Katherine Rusch would have fun playing in the Honorverse.

Asprin would have been a good choice, except he died in 2008. Another writer to add to the list of who'd have to turn his work in by medium or seance. And Jody didn't work in the Phule's Company series. Robert's coauthor there was Peter Heck, I believe.
Post by Kensai   » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:14 pm

Kensai
Ensign

My two or three manticoran cents....

C J Cherryh- I super enjoyed her Chanur series and one of my favorite books of hers isn't even SciFi (that would be "The Paladin") I think she could do very well with the Honorverse material.

Mike Stackpole- The Author that got me into miniature wargaming (via his early battletech novels). His Star Wars books I felt were pretty good and if he can wrap his head around the Honorverse stuff, I think he'd do well.

Loren L Coleman- Another battletech writer who has dabbled in other genre (Conan, Star Trek) and done well.

(disclaimer- I have met both Stackpole and Coleman... and both were pretty cool when I met them...)
Post by Lunan   » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:46 pm

Lunan
Captain of the List

Elizabeth Moon, Jim Butcher, Larry Correia, Brandon Sanderson, Rick Riordan, Linda Fairstien, Mike Kupari, Jack Campbell, Christopher G Nuttall

Eagleeye wrote:First - I know, RFC is the sole arbiter to decide who he invites to write in his Honorverse (or any of his other universes). That's his prerogative and noone wants to change that. Nonetheless I'm curious - If you could influence the decision somehow - from which author (aside the ones who already had the honor) you would like to read a Honoverse-short-story?

I, for example, would like to read, how someone like Nnedi Okorafor (Binti, Who fears death, Akata witch) would use the Honorverse to put some new facettes into it.
Post by kenl511   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:01 pm

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

Connie Willis

David Brin

David Fawcett
Post by Jacob Zavala   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:19 am

Jacob Zavala
Ensign

As an avid reader of everything Star Trek, I naturally think of authors who have done a lot of work in that area. David Mack is the first one to jump to mind. His Trek novels are, at least in my opinion, the best of the lot. Dayton Ward is another one. For non-Trek authors, I echo a previous poster who suggested Elizabeth Moon, and I'd like to add David Drake and Lois McMaster Bujold.
Post by Blackwarder   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:25 am

Blackwarder
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

My two would be Brandon Sanderson and Louis Mcmaster Bjould.

Sanderson with characters like his 2nd era mistborn books. Maybe a good spy story.

And Louis, well she’s Louis Macmaster Bjould.

Return to Honorverse