Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 85 guests

Out of order snippet? WHAT out of order snippet?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Out of order snippet? WHAT out of order snippet?
Post by ericth   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:45 pm

ericth
Commander

cthia wrote:Why does everyone think Harrington's a bitch? She has to be the most misunderstood naval officer in the Honorverse.

At any rate, it seems someone's begun putting an eraser to that malignant alphabet. Detweiler B-L left, is it?

The first thing that springs to mind is her family connection to the the Benton-Ramirez y Chou family. The conflict has been covert but very much a hot war over the centuries. They symbolize the hatred between the camps.

Another thing that springs to mind is either Honor's or Jaques' anti slavery activities netted someone personally important to the Detweillers.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:14 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

ericth wrote:
cthia wrote:Why does everyone think Harrington's a bitch? She has to be the most misunderstood naval officer in the Honorverse.

At any rate, it seems someone's begun putting an eraser to that malignant alphabet. Detweiler B-L left, is it?

The first thing that springs to mind is her family connection to the the Benton-Ramirez y Chou family. The conflict has been covert but very much a hot war over the centuries. They symbolize the hatred between the camps.

Another thing that springs to mind is either Honor's or Jaques' anti slavery activities netted someone personally important to the Detweillers.

I would add that without Honor's insistance that Timothy Mears did not willing try to kill her, the MAlign involvement would not have been as believable. Absent her public defense of Timothy, Haven's culpability for all the assassinations and attempted assassinations would have been the default conclusion. With her championing an alternative explanation, Eloise had another block of data to suggest that peace with Manticore was truly possible when Cachat and Zilwicki surfaced. Recall that Cachat went to visit Honor prior to heading off to Mesa partly to convince her that her doubts about Haven's culpability for the assassinations were justified.

In a real sense that was the first brick in the "someone besides Haven is behind this" argument as far as Manticore was concerned. Had anyone else suggested that alternative, Mike Henke would have been much more suspicious of it. Since Honor did champion the argument, Mike was willing to act decisively when other bits of evidence began surfacing in the Talbot Quadrant supporting Honor's assertions.

In a very real sense, Honor was the first obvious actor that began the chain of events leading the Albrecht's death. That and her connection the Benton-Ramirez y Chou family was more than enough to make her the emotional target for any blame the Brothers wish to direct for MAlign's current set of misfortune.
Post by JohnRoth   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:20 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:I would add that without Honor's insistance that Timothy Mears did not willing try to kill her, the MAlign involvement would not have been as believable. Absent her public defense of Timothy, Haven's culpability for all the assassinations and attempted assassinations would have been the default conclusion. With her championing an alternative explanation, Eloise had another block of data to suggest that peace with Manticore was truly possible when Cachat and Zilwicki surfaced. Recall that Cachat went to visit Honor prior to heading off to Mesa partly to convince her that her doubts about Haven's culpability for the assassinations were justified.

In a real sense that was the first brick in the "someone besides Haven is behind this" argument as far as Manticore was concerned. Had anyone else suggested that alternative, Mike Henke would have been much more suspicious of it. Since Honor did champion the argument, Mike was willing to act decisively when other bits of evidence began surfacing in the Talbot Quadrant supporting Honor's assertions.

In a very real sense, Honor was the first obvious actor that began the chain of events leading the Albrecht's death. That and her connection the Benton-Ramirez y Chou family was more than enough to make her the emotional target for any blame the Brothers wish to direct for MAlign's current set of misfortune.

I believe that Cachet and Zilwiki returned with full details on the Webster assassination, including some idea on the nano-tech mind control.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:32 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:
PeterZ wrote:I would add that without Honor's insistance that Timothy Mears did not willing try to kill her, the MAlign involvement would not have been as believable. Absent her public defense of Timothy, Haven's culpability for all the assassinations and attempted assassinations would have been the default conclusion. With her championing an alternative explanation, Eloise had another block of data to suggest that peace with Manticore was truly possible when Cachat and Zilwicki surfaced. Recall that Cachat went to visit Honor prior to heading off to Mesa partly to convince her that her doubts about Haven's culpability for the assassinations were justified.

I believe that Cachet and Zilwiki returned with full details on the Webster assassination, including some idea on the nano-tech mind control.

They did. Recall that the Goscaulde death supported their conclusions. Absent existing suspicion about that death and the assassinations, Simoez's assertions would have been tough to swallow for Haven. How do you think Eloise and her advisors would have projected Manticore's response absent both their experience with Goscaulde and the knowledge of Honor's reaction to Timothy's attempted assassination?

I suspect there would have been serious consideration that making those assertions would have been seen as fabricating a boogeyman which would likely lead to the loss of all the good faith they had already built up.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:34 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

quite possibly a cat wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:My guess is that Henke will go out of her way to interview O'Hanrahan with a treecat present. Even more to the point, however, there might be a Ballroom person or two in the room.
That sounds like a good way to make things much, much worse. Kidnapping a respected reporter and then showing her that Henke is conspiring with a terrorist organization? And then trying to coerce a statement out of her? That won't do shit on the "looking innocent" front. At that point you might as well just claim your responsible and hope you get credit Chutzpah.

You could probably get a voluntary interview except, that's not going to help you at all! To start with, the facts point to the GA. I'm I remembering correctly Anton Zilwicki was the one who removed the tracking on the Green Pines bomb. Worse, one of the nukes was set off by the GA. Another nuke was set off by someone working with the GA. Then the nuclear bombs stopped until GA agents returned to Mesa.

The GA is in fact guilty of nuking Mesa. Honestly, their best defense is probably to claim Anton and Victor went rogue and execute them.

I suppose Henke could attempt a full on cover-up. Except if I got the right impression of her, she's much more likely to just go with honesty and openness. Isn't that what she did after defeating Byng? Plus, Manticore really doesn't have a good culture for covering stuff up.

I thought I remembered the story pretty vividly. But when did the GA set off a bomb? I must be missing a trick. The closest Zilwicke comes is disabling the locator on that bomb the seccies had stolen. That it was later set off in a park full of kids certainly wasn't his doing.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by pappilon   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:06 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:I thought I remembered the story pretty vividly. But when did the GA set off a bomb? I must be missing a trick. The closest Zilwicke comes is disabling the locator on that bomb the seccies had stolen. That it was later set off in a park full of kids certainly wasn't his doing.

Don -

3 nukes went off, (1) destroyed gamma Center and damaged the office building it was sitting under. (2) Went off in the deserted building to cover the escape of Z,C,&H. (3) was supposed to go off in some other rather benign location (thought I forget where) which was actually set off in the park by a lunatic. Yes, (1) was not Zilwicki, but the other two were. The Buck stops here. Who cares if the bank heist was not planned to shoot the security guard, all of the thieves go to jail for the unintended crime.

In for a penny in for a centicred.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:24 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:

But did the Detweilers know this for sure? Or, for that matter, at all?

Honor had already messed up their plans for Haven's conquest of Manticore... a key element in their master plan. They were certain to also know that her killing Mears but also defending him was dangerous to them.

Yes, there was the genetic connection but she did a real lot of damage. She was the center of the opposition to their plans even if she never really went after them.

Her exceptionalism also tossed their human design programs into the wastebasket. She seems as talented as any of their "supermen." That had to rankle.
Post by Eagleeye   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:25 pm

Eagleeye
Commodore

quite possibly a cat wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:My guess is that Henke will go out of her way to interview O'Hanrahan with a treecat present. Even more to the point, however, there might be a Ballroom person or two in the room.
That sounds like a good way to make things much, much worse. Kidnapping a respected reporter and then showing her that Henke is conspiring with a terrorist organization? [...]

Substitute Ballroom with a Torch representative - say, General Palane - and that special poisoned arrow flies straight into the faces of the Mandarins or the MAlign. After all - Palane is official as hell (uniformed CO of the military forces of Torch, iIrc) and Torch is a star-nation that is officially at war with Mesa. And outside the Manticore-system the treecats are regarded only as pets. If O'Hanrahan should know something more or different about these "pets" and refuses to talk with Henke while a treecat is in the same room, then that alone could be a strong hint that she's not the snowwhite reporter she pretends to be. After all (as far as we know, at least) she never visited Manticore or Sphinx, so she couldn't make firsthand-experiences with treecats.

And to be invited to interview Henke at all - maybe even exclusively - that has to be some kind of Jackpot, I think ... from her professional point of view. Hell, make it officially so that she gets the invitation to interview Tourville, Henke and Palane at the same time! She's no reporter, if she can resist that temptation!
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:02 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Eagleeye wrote:
That sounds like a good way to make things much, much worse. Kidnapping a respected reporter and then showing her that Henke is conspiring with a terrorist organization? [...]

Substitute Ballroom with a Torch representative - say, General Palane - and that special poisoned arrow flies straight into the faces of the Mandarins or the MAlign. After all - Palane is official as hell (uniformed CO of the military forces of Torch, iIrc) and Torch is a star-nation that is officially at war with Mesa. And outside the Manticore-system the treecats are regarded only as pets. If O'Hanrahan should know something more or different about these "pets" and refuses to talk with Henke while a treecat is in the same room, then that alone could be a strong hint that she's not the snowwhite reporter she pretends to be. After all (as far as we know, at least) she never visited Manticore or Sphinx, so she couldn't make firsthand-experiences with treecats.

And to be invited to interview Henke at all - maybe even exclusively - that has to be some kind of Jackpot, I think ... from her professional point of view. Hell, make it officially so that she gets the invitation to interview Tourville, Henke and Palane at the same time! She's no reporter, if she can resist that temptation![/quote]

She does not have to know there's a treecat in the room. Easy enough to have said cat behind a small screen while it's "person" pretends to be a bodyguard.

And O'Hanrahan is an alpha line. Perhaps getting her genome would be interesting.

Of course, she could suicide and that would be a kerfuffle of the highest order.
Post by Eagleeye   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:39 pm

Eagleeye
Commodore

ldwechsler wrote:
She does not have to know there's a treecat in the room. Easy enough to have said cat behind a small screen while it's "person" pretends to be a bodyguard.

And O'Hanrahan is an alpha line. Perhaps getting her genome would be interesting.

Of course, she could suicide and that would be a kerfuffle of the highest order.

Don't forget, that Tourville has a furry guardian, and I doubt that he will be ready to sit behind a screen. If O'Hanrahan is "nano-bugged", (not probable, but who knows? The GA-reps definitely not) he could be to far away to do his job.

Return to Honorverse