Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jonathan_S and 75 guests

Out of order snippet? WHAT out of order snippet?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Out of order snippet? WHAT out of order snippet?
Post by shayvaan   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:39 am

shayvaan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

isaac_newton wrote:
runsforcelery wrote: SNIP

There is an alternate explanation, and Anton Zilwicki has already put a finger on it. Even his reasoning is still highly speculative at this point, however, and once they get into the actual situation on the ground it’s going to be even harder for the Grand Alliance to convince the galaxy at large that he isn’t a raving lunatic than anyone in the GA ever dreamed in their worst nightmares.

I could tell you why that is, but then you wouldn’t have to buy the book! :twisted:

Meanie :mrgreen:

anyone remember what AZ was thinking? Of course, not that I wish to deprive RFC of his well earned crust!!

Anton picked up on "the rats deserting the ship."
That the MAlign were leaving Mesa and that they were going to use nukes to:
a) make a large enough body count to hide the disappearances and
b) destroy any other evidence that needed to be destroyed.
Post by pappilon   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:15 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

shayvaan wrote:

Oh,yeah based on, among other things, a miniscule increase in the purchase of couture clothing. Any woman worth her dalt is going to stock up n the latest fashions before heading down the Rabbit Hole.

Can any more convincing evidence be found.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Peter2   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:24 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

If Hanrahan is being such a nuisance, might it be worth the GA considering whether or not to take a leaf out of the MA's book, and arrange a quiet assassination? That's probably easier and safer than a kidnapping and "analysis in depth".

I know Manticore doesn't usually do this, but the Beowulf group (I can't offhand remember its name) has done it on occasions. Also, I'm pretty sure you could find some expertise on Haven.
Post by pappilon   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:28 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Peter2 wrote:If Hanrahan is being such a nuisance, might it be worth the GA considering whether or not to take a leaf out of the MA's book, and arrange a quiet assassination? That's probably easier and safer than a kidnapping and "analysis in depth".

I know Manticore doesn't usually do this, but the Beowulf group (I can't offhand remember its name) has done it on occasions. Also, I'm pretty sure you could find some expertise on Haven.

Or find some real Ballroom members. The problem with her as a nuisance is she's paid her dues and earned her stripes. Pretty sticky wicket if she suddenly becomes an item on the Audubon Ballroom's dance card, or Jacuqes' former regiment. naybe there's a few more Aprilists hanging about Nouveau Paris, but ...
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:49 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

pappilon wrote:
shayvaan wrote:

Oh,yeah based on, among other things, a miniscule increase in the purchase of couture clothing. Any woman worth her dalt is going to stock up n the latest fashions before heading down the Rabbit Hole.

Actually, I got the impression that it was the decrease in purchases that triggered his idea that the rats had left the ship.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by shayvaan   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:04 am

shayvaan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

pappilon wrote:
shayvaan wrote:

Actually, he started with disappearances and residence and was going to cross check by occupation, job status and DNA, the fashion purchases was thrown in as a further cross check after he talked to Yana.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:11 am

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:The problem is that arguing that “experienced and otherwise extremely precise people who are using sophisticated targeting systems and weapons” wouldn’t be shooting at such odd places doesn’t really solve anything. Somebody blew them up, and for your argument to do Tenth Fleet any good, there’d have to be a countervailing explanation for why anyone else would be interested in blowing up such odd places. Even if you accept the Grand Alliance’s contention that there is something called the “Mesan Alignment” out there, why is the Mesan Alignment killing millions of Mesans? What motive would it have? Coming up with an alternate reason for the explosions would be a nontrivial exercise . . . unless you expect to convince the galaxy at large that this "Alignment" is so malignant that it would cheerfully kill millions of citizens of the system in which it originated simply to cast suspicion on the Grand Alliance.

There is an alternate explanation, and Anton Zilwicki has already put a finger on it. Even his reasoning is still highly speculative at this point, however, and once they get into the actual situation on the ground it’s going to be even harder than anyone in the GA ever dreamed in their worst nightmares for them to convince the galaxy at large that he isn’t a raving lunatic.

I don't find it that unreasonable that they would be using nukes to cover their tracks. This is the sort of organization that engages in genetic slavery, they don't care about the average people. Thus, if you accept the alignment's existence the nukes make sense.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:25 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:Doing that you could make it appear that an immediate execute signal propagated at any speed you like from any point in space you like - simply by customizing the delay for each nuke.

I don't think we can--the problem is he was the trigger and my read is the blast killed him immediately. No time for a delay.
Post by pappilon   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:49 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Loren Pechtel wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:Doing that you could make it appear that an immediate execute signal propagated at any speed you like from any point in space you like - simply by customizing the delay for each nuke.

I don't think we can--the problem is he was the trigger and my read is the blast killed him immediately. No time for a delay.

Even at speed-of-light a signal has some lag, and it would need satellite transmission to reach around the planet. That line of sight propagation thing radio signals have.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:16 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Loren Pechtel wrote:

Preprogram the delay with the local bombs getting the longest delay. With just a little bit of calculation you can make things simultaneous, or even a poem to have a different epicenter (like tenth feet flagship :lol: )
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

Return to Honorverse