Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 45 guests

Out of order snippet? WHAT out of order snippet?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Out of order snippet? WHAT out of order snippet?
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:33 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:I'm going to have to go back into lower profile mode here, because I'm working on two projects simultaneously that both need attention. I'll try to drop back in from time to time, though, and I'm going to aim for one in-order snippet a week. (Book's not coming out until next November, guys.) However, since I've been giving you out of order snippets, here's one more.

I think you can guess what they're upset about.

Did I ever mention that angry people sometimes make less than optimal decisions? ;)

“None of that would’ve been necessary if not for the fucking Manties.” Gervais’s voice was a snarl. “It’s that goddamned loose warhead Gold Peak’s fault. If she weren’t such a maniac, if we hadn’t known she’d be coming for Mesa as soon as she possibly could, we wouldn’t have had to rush Houdini that way and Mom and Dad would be right here on Darius right now.”

A sort of sub-aural growl answered him, but Collin shook his head.

“Gold Peak may be the one who actually pulled the trigger, but it wasn’t just her. It was her whole damned ‘Star Empire’ and their goddamned friends. All of them. Elizabeth, Mayhew, Pritchart . . . and that bitch Harrington.”

Why does everyone think Harrington's a bitch? She has to be the most misunderstood naval officer in the Honorverse.

At any rate, it seems someone's begun putting an eraser to that malignant alphabet. Detweiler B-L left, is it?
JohnRoth wrote:There are six clones, named Benjamin, Colin, Daniel, Everett, Franklin and Gervais. There is no J, K or L. I believe Gervais has something to do with foreign affairs. I think this is the first time we've seen him on camera.

L died of natural causes. Leonard.
J was born with an animal defect and aborted. Jackass.
K was offed by L after caught playing inside J.
M offed A and one E. [M]anties.

Mostly speculation, you see.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by phillies   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:10 pm

phillies
Admiral

Sounds as though Mom's research on weaponized nanomachines may get a workout.

runsforcelery wrote:I'm going to have to go back into lower profile mode here, because I'm working on two projects simultaneously that both need attention. I'll try to drop back in from time to time, though, and I'm going to aim for one in-order snippet a week. (Book's not coming out until next November, guys.) However, since I've been giving you out of order snippets, here's one more.

Did I ever mention that angry people sometimes make less than optimal decisions? ;)

“None of that would’ve been necessary if not for the fucking Manties.” Gervais’s voice was a snarl. “It’s that goddamned loose warhead Gold Peak’s fault. If she weren’t such a maniac, if we hadn’t known she’d be coming for Mesa as soon as she possibly could, we wouldn’t have had to rush Houdini that way and Mom and Dad would be right here on Darius right now.”

“Gold Peak may be the one who actually pulled the trigger, but it wasn’t just her. It was her whole damned ‘Star Empire’ and their goddamned friends. All of them. Elizabeth, Mayhew, Pritchart . . . and that bitch Harrington.”
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:39 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

phillies wrote:Sounds as though Mom's research on weaponized nanomachines may get a workout.

The book goes further in terms of plot than I thought it would. I figured that ALign would mostly hide and let the idiots of the League mess things up.

I have the feeling the evil geniuses will demonstrate again that their genetic program has some real flaws.
Post by Jeslis   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:46 pm

Jeslis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Can someone explain to a newb about the EARC reader thing, and how to get my dirty grubbly little hands on it//the book? before its release date.

I would greatly appreciate it.

runsforcelery wrote:

Well, there are roughly 288,000 words in the manuscript. So if I hold myself to 1 snippet a week and the snippets to no more than 1,500 words, 52 snippets would be 78,000 words, or about 27%. (Doesn't count Rosie snips, of course! :lol:) I really don't like snippeting much more than that, but 78-80,000 words would probably work out just fine. And, of course, the EARC will be available for those of you who want it well before next November!
Post by Randomiser   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:31 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

For many of their bigger titles, most certainly including those by RFC, Baen Books sell electronic Advanced Reader Copies (eARCs) as ebooks. They are a modern version of the early rushes which go to book reviewers etc so they can have comment and reviews ready for the publishing date. Baen will sell them to anyone with about $15 to hand over. Look on the main ebooks page at Baen's website. h ttp://www.baen.com/baenebooks They often come out about 3-4 months before publication.

The caveat is that they are usually the text the Author turned in without much in the way of the publisher's final corrections which will be ongoing as the eARC comes out. That's the normal approach. For RFC though it may be a bit different since the publishing schedule for his books has been greatly lengthened as a result of his recent health problems. He has already handed this book in but the publishing date is way out out in Nov 2018. Baen "could" put out an eARC anytime, but will probably wait till a few months before publication and may still put out the rough text to discourage pirating.

Keep looking on Baen or in the Forum. You can bet your bottom dollar that whoever gets one first is going to Squee! about it on here roughly 10 seconds later

Jeslis wrote:Can someone explain to a newb about the EARC reader thing, and how to get my dirty grubbly little hands on it//the book? before its release date.

I would greatly appreciate it.

runsforcelery wrote:

Well, there are roughly 288,000 words in the manuscript. So if I hold myself to 1 snippet a week and the snippets to no more than 1,500 words, 52 snippets would be 78,000 words, or about 27%. (Doesn't count Rosie snips, of course! :lol:) I really don't like snippeting much more than that, but 78-80,000 words would probably work out just fine. And, of course, the EARC will be available for those of you who want it well before next November!
Post by Randomiser   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:

Their Mom and Dad's deaths had nothing to do with their own felonious plot to overthrow various governments and reshape human society with themselves at the top, of course. Oh no! It was all down to the #*%$# GA!
Post by kzt   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:47 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Randomiser wrote:For many of their bigger titles, most certainly including those by RFC, Baen Books sell electronic Advanced Reader Copies (eARCs) as ebooks. They are a modern version of the early rushes which go to book reviewers etc so they can have comment and reviews ready for the publishing date. Baen will sell them to anyone with about $15 to hand over. Look on the main ebooks page at Baen's website. h ttp://www.baen.com/baenebooks They often come out about 3-4 months before publication.

It's important to note that this DOES NOT get you a final version of the book. You have to go buy that too. But in general they are very similar, so if you can only afford one I'd buy the earc myself.
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:55 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

Why does everyone think Harrington's a bitch? She has to be the most misunderstood naval officer in the Honorverse.

At any rate, it seems someone's begun putting an eraser to that malignant alphabet. Detweiler B-L left, is it?
JohnRoth wrote:There are six clones, named Benjamin, Colin, Daniel, Everett, Franklin and Gervais. There is no J, K or L. I believe Gervais has something to do with foreign affairs. I think this is the first time we've seen him on camera.
cthia wrote:L died of natural causes. Leonard.

FYI, I suppose K was for Kilgrave.

Also FYI, the MAlign might choose to abort at any time. Not just prior to 3-months-old like normal societies. Well, semi-normal anyways.

They simply must learn that life doesn't always go according to the alphabet.

The Manties like to play spin the wheel. "I'd like to buy a vowel please," says Gold Peak. "I'll take an A and an E."

I wonder if mommy and daddy's bodies were recovered and whether DNA was obtained. It could be used in the DNA sniffers deployed in CoG to set off an alarm in the presence of the same.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Daryl   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:07 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Cthia, I suspect that is why they were sitting on 50 mega tons of nuke. Good luck finding any DNA.
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:11 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

cthia wrote:

cthia wrote:“None of that would’ve been necessary if not for the fucking Manties.” Gervais’s voice was a snarl. “It’s that goddamned loose warhead Gold Peak’s fault. If she weren’t such a maniac, if we hadn’t known she’d be coming for Mesa as soon as she possibly could, we wouldn’t have had to rush Houdini that way and Mom and Dad would be right here on Darius right now.”

cthia wrote:L died of natural causes. Leonard.

cthia wrote:
FYI, I suppose K was for Kilgrave.

Also FYI, the MAlign might choose to abort at any time. Not just prior to 3-months-old like normal societies. Well, semi-normal anyways.

They simply must learn that life doesn't always go according to the alphabet.

The Manties like to play spin the wheel. "I'd like to buy a vowel please," says Gold Peak. "I'll take an A and an E."

I wonder if mommy and daddy's bodies were recovered and whether DNA was obtained. It could be used in the DNA sniffers deployed in CoG to set off an alarm in the presence of the same.

Uh, thermonuclear self-destruct?

Big submerged crater where the island used to be? :roll:

Just sayin'.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.

Return to Honorverse