Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

Uncompromising Honor, Snippet #4 (a)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising Honor, Snippet #4 (a)
Post by Bruno Behrends   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:40 am

Bruno Behrends
Captain of the List

The numeration of the snippet made my day. Heh.

(And the book is great so far.)
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:36 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Bruno Behrends wrote:The numeration of the snippet made my day. Heh.

(And the book is great so far.)

Unfortunately, it tells us very little. We meet a few characters but don't know where they fit or if they'll play a major role in the plot.
Post by Bewildered   » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:11 am

Bewildered
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

If the SLN are planning on attacking Cachalot, and this last snippet makes clear that Beowulf will soon be officially joining the GA, then there would seem to be a strong possibility of a Beowulf fleet defending Cachalot from the SLN. That should set up an interesting little political problem for the SU.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:46 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Bewildered wrote:If the SLN are planning on attacking Cachalot, and this last snippet makes clear that Beowulf will soon be officially joining the GA, then there would seem to be a strong possibility of a Beowulf fleet defending Cachalot from the SLN. That should set up an interesting little political problem for the SU.

Is there? - or has the BSDF pulled in it's horns to defend Beowulf until after the vote (when GA forces can assist)?

How many other Cachalot's does Beowulf have? The BSDF is a very strong navy for the region, having multiple systems under it's wing (both in and out of the SL) would explain the size of it's wall. Will having a handful of lesser players jump ship at the same time as Beowulf become a hindrance or advantage for the GA going forward?
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by pappilon   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:16 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:
Bewildered wrote:If the SLN are planning on attacking Cachalot, and this last snippet makes clear that Beowulf will soon be officially joining the GA, then there would seem to be a strong possibility of a Beowulf fleet defending Cachalot from the SLN. That should set up an interesting little political problem for the SU.

Is there? - or has the BSDF pulled in it's horns to defend Beowulf until after the vote (when GA forces can assist)?

How many other Cachalot's does Beowulf have? The BSDF is a very strong navy for the region, having multiple systems under it's wing (both in and out of the SL) would explain the size of it's wall. Will having a handful of lesser players jump ship at the same time as Beowulf become a hindrance or advantage for the GA going forward?

Bucket of cold water, if I may? WE know Cachalot is about to be marauded. How, exactly does Beowulf get the memo? Does Beowulf get the memo ... in time? Does the trashing of Cachalot set up the inevitable meeting of Honor and her SL counterpart?

QUIT! Just stop it. Just because WE know doesn't mean our literary friends do.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Theemile   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:23 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
Theemile wrote:

Bucket of cold water, if I may? WE know Cachalot is about to be marauded. How, exactly does Beowulf get the memo? Does Beowulf get the memo ... in time? Does the trashing of Cachalot set up the inevitable meeting of Honor and her SL counterpart?

QUIT! Just stop it. Just because WE know doesn't mean our literary friends do.

Precisely....
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by saber964   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:51 pm

saber964
Admiral

pappilon wrote:
Theemile" [quote="Bewildered wrote:If the SLN are planning on attacking Cachalot, and this last snippet makes clear that Beowulf will soon be officially joining the GA, then there would seem to be a strong possibility of a Beowulf fleet defending Cachalot from the SLN. That should set up an interesting little political problem for the SU.

QUIT! Just stop it. Just because WE know doesn't mean our literary friends do.[/quote]

Yes we know. But what kind of espionage penetration BC I have inside the SL/N. Remember they warned the RH and SEM several months in advance of Raging Justice. The SL/N is going to be riddled with out and out spy's, but what about sympathizers who are from other star nations. Beowulf might have intelligence agent's on Old Earth but what about other systems agents who are friendly.
Post by William Underhill   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:22 pm

William Underhill
Midshipman

runsforcelery wrote: “The fact that you’re in a position to abuse your authority doesn’t make it right,” Honor told him. “And Michal is completely correct.” She craned her neck, looking for Captain Zachary White, Protector Oliver’s commanding officer and Lukáč’s flag captain. Since White was easily six centimeters taller than she was, he was seldom hard to spot. This time, though —

“Where is Zach?”

“Actually,” Lukáč said, “at this particular moment, he’s helping Misty deal with a slight emergency. Edward and a tray of canapés were in a head-on collision.”

Oh yeah... because he needed an SD... he's gonna be plain unbearable now. :)
---
“Take sides! Always take sides! You will sometimes be wrong - but the man who refuses to take sides must always be wrong. Heaven save us from poltroons who fear to make a choice.” R.A. Heinlein, Double Star
Post by jdtinIA   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:17 pm

jdtinIA
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

phillies wrote:
kzt wrote:I though it was just all the vowels?

I seem to recall all the first letters. Some modest progress in decoding that was made. Very modest progress.

Well there was enough decoding done for someone to figure out what RASF meant.
RASF - Rear Admiral Shannon Foraker.

I don't recall who figured it out.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:44 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

jdtinIA wrote:
phillies wrote:
(re: a diabolic "snippet" of _War of Honor_)

I seem to recall all the first letters. Some modest progress in decoding that was made. Very modest progress.

Well there was enough decoding done for someone to figure out what RASF meant.
RASF - Rear Admiral Shannon Foraker.

I don't recall who figured it out.

I was the one that did it (BTW, it was VASF for Vice Admiral Shannon Foraker).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)

Return to Honorverse