Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests

Uncompromising Honor, another out of order snippet

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising Honor, another out of order snippet
Post by robert132   » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:19 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

PeterZ wrote:
PeterZ]

[quote="kzt wrote:
I'm thinking this is effective marketing in action.

roseandheather wrote:Like I said... I'm being buttered like Texas toast.

Not complaining. :P :mrgreen:

Sigh.......poor Eloise.

roseandheather wrote:By this point I'm just assuming I'm going to lose her.

(...I'm already stockpiling the torches and pitchforks.)

Can I help? I really like her.

Don't start lighting the torches just yet kids. The thing about snippets is they are intended to whet your appetite or desire, and let me tell you MINE is whetted to a fine edge already.

We need to wait to see the whole story.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by McGuiness   » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:22 am

McGuiness
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Sigh.......poor Eloise.

roseandheather wrote:By this point I'm just assuming I'm going to lose her.
(...I'm already stockpiling the torches and pitchforks.)/quote]
PeterZ wrote:Can I help? I really like her.

Me too? I rather like her because she's a babe, but if I can't save a damsel in distress, I'm certainly not above avenging one... :twisted:

"Oh bother", said Pooh as he glanced through the airlock window at the helmet he'd forgotten to wear.
Post by n7axw   » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:38 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Isn't all of this a bit premature? Why psych yourselves up for Eloise's demise? No reason at all to think that she isn't going to continue being cast in the same role she has had in the past...

Of course living happily everafter isn't the most interesting kind of storytelling, so who knows... :twisted:

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by TychoImpact   » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:32 am

TychoImpact
Midshipman

This will not be a short post…

Oh my. I feel that this is the most important of all the snippets posted so far. When the Mad Wizard Weber has stated in the past that his plot intentions will lead to the destruction of the Solarian League, he does not shy away from controversial plot points.

I keep coming back to read this particular snippet because of how shocking it is to me and its significance. If this snippet is referring to what I believe is one of the actions take by the Solarian League Navy during Operation Buccaneer, then it confirms that the league is, put a nail in it, doomed. I don’t mean in the long run, but in the short run. The possibility that this could be happening in more than just this one star system, but in others is beyond appalling. It likely will be one of two actions, the other being the anticipated attack on Beowulf, that will push Honor to act/react so that she can put an end to orders from the Solarian League leadership that allow things like this to happen. The blurb that advertises the book on Amazon suggests that Honor will take the fight directly to the Solarian League based upon actions the League has taken.

I suspect that this snippet is a reference to the following blurb on the books pre-order page on Amazon.

“But the Mandarins have embraced a desperate new strategy, and in pursuit of that strategy, the SLN has committed atrocities such as the galaxy has not known in a thousand years. The League have violated its own Eridani Edict against mass civilian casualties, violated the Deneb Accords prohibition on war crimes.”

Granted this “officer? Hadju" person has given the leaders of this system a 36 hour window to evacuate as many people as they can. However, the snippet implies that Hadju is willing to proceed with killing 20 million people once the expiration date has passed.

Assuming that this death total and destruction takes place, it will only cement eternal hostility towards anything tainted by the Solarian League. The bigger issue as far as I am concerned is that a Battle/Frontier fleet officer will willingly kill this many civilians in an independent system that is astrographically located between the Solarian League and members of the Grand Alliance because he was ordered to do so. A system that just happens to trade with members of both the Grand Alliance and the Solarian League.

This is not to say that the SLN Officer Corp is inherently evil. We have read the thoughts of a number of officers in previous books where they are conflicted by their orders. It is just another illustration from the MWW that the League, and by extension the Navy, has fundamentally lost its way. Frankly, I'm shocked that any high ranking officer in the Solarian League Navy would be willing to follow through and kill this many people. It is just one more example by the MWW of a callous disregard by the SLN officer’s corp of their Oath of Office. It suggests that even the staff officers on the staff of the Admirals they serve did not strenuously argue against the action that will take place. Nor are they able to foresee what the long term negative consequences would be for the Solarian League Navy, let alone the Solarian League. It just confirms that it is time for the Solarian League to dissolve and be replaced with something new.

Once widespread actions like this start to happen, any question about the benevolence or benefit of the Solarian Leagues continued existence will cease. These actions will be used to by the MWW and by extension Honor to take more direct action against the Solarian League itself.

Rest in peace Pax Solaris, long live the Pax Grand Alliance.
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:01 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

All signs rather do seem to be pointing toward the League's imminent demise, don't they?

That said, it would not be the first time that RFC has set the signs all akimbo just for the fun of laughing at us when we misread them.....

The blunt fact is, though, that the League as it stands is untenable. It is bloated, rife with corruption, and sparking rebellion around every corner. Sooner or later, the whole, termite-ridden house is going to fall over. I'm reminded of NBC Chief Foreign Correspondent Richard Engel's analogy for the countries of the Middle East: while the dictators were in charge, the houses remained standing, even if they were so rotten a stiff breeze could knock them over. But when a bulldozer in the form of the U.S. military came trundling in, down the houses went, with all the rot, infestation and ugliness exposed to the outside world. And now we're on cleanup duty.

Methinks the Grand Alliance is about to perform a similar service to the equally-rotten League's crumbling edifice.

I wonder what cleanup is gonna look like....
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:01 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

roseandheather wrote:All signs rather do seem to be pointing toward the League's imminent demise, don't they?

That said, it would not be the first time that RFC has set the signs all akimbo just for the fun of laughing at us when we misread them.....

The blunt fact is, though, that the League as it stands is untenable. It is bloated, rife with corruption, and sparking rebellion around every corner. Sooner or later, the whole, termite-ridden house is going to fall over. I'm reminded of NBC Chief Foreign Correspondent Richard Engel's analogy for the countries of the Middle East: while the dictators were in charge, the houses remained standing, even if they were so rotten a stiff breeze could knock them over. But when a bulldozer in the form of the U.S. military came trundling in, down the houses went, with all the rot, infestation and ugliness exposed to the outside world. And now we're on cleanup duty.

Methinks the Grand Alliance is about to perform a similar service to the equally-rotten League's crumbling edifice.

I greatly doubt the defeat would be all that complete. Far more likely is that a lot of planets leave, a real lot. But there are close to 1800 of them now. So what happens if they lose even a thousand? They'd be far larger than anyone else.

Of course, by losing a lot of planets and we can certainly assume protectorates, a major source of League income, will be leaving, they lose the funds needed to operate the government and the navy is probably the largest expense.

And, of course, they'd lose the revenue they get from a lot of inter-planet transport fees.

But I'd guess there will still be a League and it will still have a lot of influence. But it might only be a 200 pound gorilla instead of an 800 pound one.
Post by n7axw   » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:50 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:All signs rather do seem to be pointing toward the League's imminent demise, don't they?

The Mideast is a tarbaby with anyone touching it stuck. I hope that the GA is smarter about that sort of thing and more aware of the consequences than we were.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:07 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:

The Mideast is a tarbaby with anyone touching it stuck. I hope that the GA is smarter about that sort of thing and more aware of the consequences than we were.

Don

-

They seem to be. Michelle talks protectorate at one planet, emphasizing that the SEM has no interest in taking over.

The only planet targeted for takeover in Mesa and it is clear they understand it will be a massive job...despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of the population are slaves.
Post by pappilon   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:41 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
They seem to be. Michelle talks protectorate at one planet, emphasizing that the SEM has no interest in taking over.

The only planet targeted for takeover i[s] Mesa and it is clear they understand it will be a massive job...despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of the population are slaves.

I'm not reading SOV quite that way. Invasion, sure, more a fact finding excursion, with the iron fist tucked provocatively into the leather glove. Unfortunately, the facts hav4e fled the scuttled ship Perhaps there are a few crumbs behind, but not a decent dinner roll.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:50 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:I'm not reading SOV quite that way. Invasion, sure, more a fact finding excursion, with the iron fist tucked provocatively into the leather glove.

Michelle's conquest of the Meyers system was primarily to remove the FF base and OFS governor closest to the Talbott Quadrant and source of most conflict with the SLN.

Fact finding was a distant concern as compared to neutralizing the threat from the SLN base.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Honorverse