Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 117 guests

"Bleek" - What does this sound like?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
"Bleek" - What does this sound like?
Post by Jeslis   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:06 pm

Jeslis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Recently been rereading the series... again... and it struck me that I really couldn't imagine what this 'bleek' sound.. sounds like.

I've had a few cats over my life here.. and I can obviously identify the varying degrees of “Mrrowow” and “Maaorrao!” -(I googled these as for the life of me, had no idea how to 'spell' a cat sound.)- to mean such things as 'pet me now' 'food please' 'remove force field please' (glass door).

But I simply don't have the.. animal experience? to equate what 'Bleek' and/or its associated tonals to mean different things.. sounds like.

Obviously I'd love it if Mr. Weber popped in with some youtube clip of what he believes it sounds like.. but I'll take anything if anyone wants to toss actual sound bytes of what you think a 'bleek' sounds like my way.
Re: "Bleek" - What does this sound like?
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:25 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

If you've ever heard a cat chirp, I'm guessing it sounds something like that. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCrgku899ck For reference, my mother and I used to approximate one of our cats' notably lovely trill as "Breeep! Breeep!" which isn't too far off.

It's a sound Maine Coons in particular are renowned for, and treecats are remarkably 'Coon-like in their description - well, aside from the extra pair of legs.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:47 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

roseandheather wrote:If you've ever heard a cat chirp, I'm guessing it sounds something like that. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCrgku899ck For reference, my mother and I used to approximate one of our cats' notably lovely trill as "Breeep! Breeep!" which isn't too far off.

It's a sound Maine Coons in particular are renowned for, and treecats are remarkably 'Coon-like in their description - well, aside from the extra pair of legs.

We had a ginger Maine Coon - a lovely creature :D
and yup - she too made that trill - especially in her younger days!
Post by Theemile   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:00 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:
roseandheather wrote:If you've ever heard a cat chirp, I'm guessing it sounds something like that. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCrgku899ck For reference, my mother and I used to approximate one of our cats' notably lovely trill as "Breeep! Breeep!" which isn't too far off.

We had a ginger Maine Coon - a lovely creature :D
and yup - she too made that trill - especially in her younger days!

The 3 Maine Coons my parents have had always made a "mrrrp..." trilling sound when hunting. The "BleeK" is close to the one of the sounds made by my 3 Siberian Forest cats (one of the parent breeds of the Main Coon).
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by filbert   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:18 pm

filbert
Lieutenant Commander

I'd guess if you have ever heard a cat "chirp," you know approximately what a "bleek" sounds like.

EDIT: I guess I should really read through the entire thread before posting . . .
Post by Jeslis   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:27 pm

Jeslis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I've never heard these sounds from my cats!.. but you are right in that they are more 'bleek'-ish! Thank you for this.
Post by pappilon   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:51 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Jeslis wrote:

I've never heard these sounds from my cats!.. but you are right in that they are more 'bleek'-ish! Thank you for this.

Had a [recently died] American short hair and an English short hair. The parrot has several versions of meow in his repertoire. I imagine Bleek has more than one tonal variant. from mild humor to OMG I peed my fur.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by runsforcelery   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:08 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

That's actually pretty close to the sound I had in mind. Once upon a time, I had two really big male gray tabbies — Leonardo and Bombur — who between them (as I think I've posted here before) were the inspiration for Nimitz. They were born in my closet, to a domestic shorthair mom and a dad who had enough bobcat in him to give him the mask and the tufted years. Nimitz has Leonardo's sense of humor and Bombur's brain. Now, I'd lost both of them by the time Flag in Exile came out, but Bombur, in particular made a sound very like that one (when he wasn't deciding that he had to crank out the maximum-decibel "meeeeOWWWWWWW" to get my attention, at least).

Since the treecats don't have an exact terrestrial parallel, I envision the sound as being somewhat deeper (and louder) than the one in the YouTube section. You could add just a touch of the Roadrunner from the old Roadrunner and Wylie Coyote cartoons. Not much. Just a teeny soupcon to give it a little more depth and resonance.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.

Return to Honorverse