Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

Why I started reading

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Why I started reading
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:05 am

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

I was looking for a new series to read on my kindle. Space Scifi type stuff. Huzzah. Skimmed through a bunch of stuff on the kindle library reading descriptions. But only one series (that I read the description for) had a little blurb saying it didn't include DRM. I figured why not go with that.

See, I've been burned by DRM in the past. Pay for something, then suddenly you can't listen to it because some stupid shit with the DRM. (I know greatly prefer buying music on CDs.) I figure, if a company is nice enough to request that Amazon not include it, they deserve a chance.

I soon devoured the whole series because it was an awesome series.

So long story short, it was that little blurb about no DRM that Baen apparently has for all its books in the Kindle edition that got me to pick up the Honor series.

So good job Baen, good job Mr. Weber

P.S. I don't actually know how to get files from a Kindle onto anything else. Plus even if I did it wouldn't be on a Kindle and being on a Kindle (or paper) somehow magically makes reading a better experience.

P.P.S. Don't pirate. If we didn't have pirates we wouldn't have DRM. Okay we might, but it would only be horribly mean companies that included it.
Re: Why I started reading
Post by Theemile   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:25 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

quite possibly a cat wrote:
P.P.S. Don't pirate. If we didn't have pirates we wouldn't have DRM. Okay we might, but it would only be horribly mean companies that included it.

While pirating is wrong, before the digital age, most people got hooked on a new writer when a friend passed them a novel. Whether you liked it or not, you didn't pay for the book - unless you wanted a copy yourself. Often a single printed book would be read by 5 or 6 people. Many books were just passed from reader to reader, with the original purchaser having no intention of getting the book back.

DRM... interrupts that. You can't "try it on" without stealing your friend's phone or tablet for a few days to a few weeks.

Talking to people who routinely pirate things - many usually do so because the price point is too high for them to do so legally - others are just selfish jerks. Most digital piracy would disappear if price points and profit gouging (by printing companies) were lowered. Knowing that the knowledge owner only gets 10 cents on the dollar (or less) for intellectual material does not discourage digital piracy, but encourages an attitude of "sticking it to the man".
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:57 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

quite possibly a cat wrote:I was looking for a new series to read on my kindle. Space Scifi type stuff. Huzzah. Skimmed through a bunch of stuff on the kindle library reading descriptions. But only one series (that I read the description for) had a little blurb saying it didn't include DRM. I figured why not go with that.

See, I've been burned by DRM in the past. Pay for something, then suddenly you can't listen to it because some stupid shit with the DRM. (I know greatly prefer buying music on CDs.) I figure, if a company is nice enough to request that Amazon not include it, they deserve a chance.

I soon devoured the whole series because it was an awesome series.

So long story short, it was that little blurb about no DRM that Baen apparently has for all its books in the Kindle edition that got me to pick up the Honor series.

So good job Baen, good job Mr. Weber

P.S. I don't actually know how to get files from a Kindle onto anything else. Plus even if I did it wouldn't be on a Kindle and being on a Kindle (or paper) somehow magically makes reading a better experience.

Simply connect the Kindle to a computer via the USB cable and it shows up as a regular USB drive. Then it is simply a matter of drag and drop.

No problem taking files off of kindle, but you must be sure the files you transfer to kindle are compatible.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by TangoLima   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:51 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

Free or low priced first books in a series in a good way
to test the waters.
I get a lot of word of mouth suggestions at my
favorite local indie bookstore.
Post by pappilon   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:06 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

TangoLima wrote:Free or low priced first books in a series in a good way
to test the waters.
I get a lot of word of mouth suggestions at my
favorite local indie bookstore.

Two points, I am a voracious reader, I *pirate* everything from the County Library.

Was at Borders, maybe Barnes and Noble, saw the hard cover for $28 with the free DVD of other titles. Scraping my pennies ever since to buy the new ones.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Honorverse