Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 70 guests

Top 5 Hardest Pills To Swallow

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Top 5 Hardest Pills To Swallow
Post by cthia   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:01 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:This is why you don't allow people inside of your medicine cabinet LOL

5. The Harrington Doctrine.

I hate politics more than Ensign Harrington hated politics. The Harrington Doctrine is political in nature. Oh, I believe in the Doctrine. And I like it. BUT I SURE AS HELL DON'T LOVE IT! Not from the standpoint of a reader, you see.

I liked Harrington's original Doctrine...

Find an imbecile. Bend him over. Send Apollo up his backside.

The SLN is a bunch of imbeciles. I understand the law of supply and demand. The League is huge. It has a googol of asses. Way too many for a missile to be inserted into each. Yatta yatta yatta.

Sometimes the logical is disappointing and boring -- coming from the standpoint of my split personality called a reader, you see. Albeit, I hate it when he asserts himself like so.

Hmm, RFC warns us about a dark cloud as far as characters. I wonder if the character to die is the GA.

'Ouch!' Stop throwing things!

Supplemental reading.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Duckk   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:59 am

Duckk
Site Admin

Post from David, there's something weird where he couldn't respond:

kzt wrote:Power cords, lack thereof. - This is really more general pod issues. I understand the plot related reasons, but this is just absurd. Particularly as you don't need to run the reactor as the ship in in zero g. Metal industrial velcro (hook and loop) would work just fine.

Mismatching the SD and BC(P) loadouts when you have them operating together.

Pod, missile and drone reactors being started by pouring in plasma at roughly stellar core temp from the main reactors Who thought that having these run all through the ship was a good idea?

So if you can only start the reactors used in the pods by connecting them to a ships fusion reactor and then those reactors only run for a week before needing extensive refurbishment then how do pods positioned for system defense work?

So lets talk about how a LAC can tow two million tons of pods at 700g in total stealth...

Is this issue with power cords about why every square centimeter of every Manticoran warship isn't covered with pods 24/7? :roll:

Honorverse captains aren’t going to cover their hulls in pods and just leave them there for several reasons, including the fact that they probably won’t need them and also including the fact if they stay on the hull of the ship too long they stop working.

I do not recall for certain, but I believe that in one of the books we discussed the reason that it had been impossible to mount multiple sets of impeller nodes aboard the same missile body prior to King Roger’s research programs. If I am wrong about that, suffice it to say that an active impeller node exerts a “warping” effect on any other (but inactive) impeller node in its immediate vicinity. One of the critical components in a ship’s impeller nodes are the tuners that keep them in phase so that they are all working together to generate the impeller wedge rather than destroying one another. That’s also a reason that the alpha nodes are part of the impeller wedge; bringing them into the circuit and engaging their tuners with those of the beta nodes around them protects them from the warping effect. What Project Gram managed to do was to come up with a shield, mounted between the impeller nodes of a multidrive missile and impervious to the warping effect. It’s not a simple process, it requires a substantial power input and not just the physical material of the shield, but it works.

If a missile pod is left exposed indefinitely to an impeller wedge, its nodes will degrade. That doesn’t mean it will happen immediately, or in the first 48 hours, or even necessarily the first week, but it will happen eventually. It’s other electronic components and mollycircs will also degrade. The process can be slowed by using a system-defense pod rather than a standard ship-launched variant, but those are bigger and bulkier, so you could get less of them into the same amount of space. Even for them, there is an absolute limit as to how long a pod can be left “strapped” to the exterior of a ship, however.

In addition, system-defense pods differ from standard ship-launched pods in a couple of ways, which is the main reason they are substantially larger than shipboard pods.

I know that you think the notion of piping plasma around the interior of the ship is lunacy. Unfortunately, there’s no other way to provide the necessary power densities, so Honorverse ship designers just had to figure out how to deal with it. It’s a hazard, oh, yes indeed! It is, however, necessary, and this is one reason that Honorverse ships continually monitor their power systems and automatically shut down any conduit that shows any sign of instability, fluctuation, or — God help us all — breach. We’ve had instances in the books where a conduit blows (usually because of battle damage or a power surge) with catastrophic results, but Honorverse tech is good enough to reduce the threat to manageable levels. (Note that this is one of the reasons why there are such differences between civilian grade and mil-spec hardware in the Honorverse. Merchantships do not require those sorts of power densities to support things like, oh, broadside grasers, missile tube grav drivers, massive point defense suites, and stuff like that there.

System-defense pods, however, can’t be attached to a warship’s plasma conduits. Because of that, they need to be large enough to contain their own separate fusion plant in which fusion is initiated using lasers to provide the power budget for the rest of the pod’s functions and the missiles aboard it. They are also deployed with solar panels to keep the capacitors for the lasers which initiate fusion “topped off” and to power all of the standby systems that keep the pod tied into the system-wide defense net. In addition to that, however, they are also built with highly efficient radiation shielding, because they are going to be exposed to solar radiation — in some cases, very intense solar radiation, in other cases much less intense radiation — for months at a time. Shipboard pods don’t have that radiation shielding, which means that pods carried indefinitely on the hull of a starship are not protected against radiation when the wedge is down. This is not a huge factor in pod longevity, but it is a factor.

The main way in which launching a Mark 16 or a Mark 23 differs from earlier versions of MDM (or the Mark 14 extended range missile) is that these are the first missiles which use onboard fusion plants rather than plasma-charged capacitors. Honorverse capacitors are, indeed, charged with more of that “stellar core temperature plasma” you hate to see them piping around. Again, we are talking about energy densities. The capacitors are far bulkier for the same power levels because — as I’m sure you’ll agree — the containment requirements for a plasma-filled “battery” are a bit extreme. In the case of a Mark 16 or a Mark 23, fusion is initiated aboard the missile before it launches. In the case of a capacitor-fed missile, the plasma is already stored and ready for use. What makes firing a Mark 16 so . . . interesting is that you’re bringing up a lightweight fusion reactor, with much less robust shielding and containment than a capacitor, inside the tube before you launch it. The Mark 16 is new enough when Aivars Terekhov heads off to the Talbott Sector that this is still a very nervous-making moment. By the time we get to Uncompromising Honor, it’s pretty much old hat and the designers' assurances that the containment vessel is fully up to the demand has been validated in hundreds or thousands of launches, so nobody worries about it a lot.

Nobody worried about the mini-fusion plants in the pod launched missiles, because if one of the reactors blew in that case, all you lost was the pod. If it blew in the tube, you pretty much lost the ship. The fact that the system-defense pods have the onboard capacity to produce the plasma required by their grav drivers and by their missiles is the real reason that they can be left deployed for such lengthy periods of time. They don’t have to carry still more capacitors around with them to provide the “startup charge” provided to a ship-launched pod from the launching ship’s onboard systems.

Now, getting back to the extension cords. If that was the only issue — providing power to the “mooring point” — it’s a nonissue. The Honorverse has broadcast power. All you’d need to do would be to provide the ship with the additional broadcast capacity, and if anyone in the Honorverse thought that it was a huge tactical factor, I’m sure they would. Of course there is a limit to the amount of power a given ship can broadcast or (for that matter) supply through “extension cords.” And to be completely honest, most ships’ power budgets are not designed to provide scads of power indefinitely to external systems. Sorry about that, but the balance between power demand and power supply is one more of those compromises that BuShips has to balance whenever they produce a new design. Besides, even if I provided onboard power connections to seven bazillion missile attachment points, you’d only be upset because I had all those additional plasma conduits compromising the ship’s safety!

I believe that you and I have already wrestled a fall or three over the intermixing of Mark 16s and pre-Apollo MDMs. I’ve stated the reasons that the Royal Manticoran Navy opted to do that repeatedly, I thought they were valid then, I think they are valid now, and the Royal Manticoran Navy agrees with me, :P so I’m not going to revisit that issue. :lol:

And I don’t recall off the top of my head – not saying there wasn’t one, just that I don’t recall it — an instance in which a Shrike towed 2,000,000 tons of pods at 700 gravities. A Shrike’s maximum acceleration rate is only about 640 gravities and 2,000,000 tons of pods would be somewhere in excess of 670. I don’t really think I’ve had anybody towing that many pods without Shannon Foraker’s donkeys. A Shrike is about 20,000-22,000 tons, and it can easily tow four or five times its own mass at moderate percentages of its maximum acceleration rate without compromising its stealth capability, so 35-40 Mark 23 pods would be easy. Considerably heavier loads could be towed (assuming sufficient tractor capacity). Can you give me textev where I have them towing numbers much greater than that, under stealth, at an acceleration higher than 400 gravities? I’m not saying that I haven’t done it; only that I don’t remember doing it and that if I did, I had committed a tactical faux pas.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by munroburton   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:52 am

munroburton
Admiral

Duckk wrote:And I don’t recall off the top of my head – not saying there wasn’t one, just that I don’t recall it — an instance in which a Shrike towed 2,000,000 tons of pods at 700 gravities. A Shrike’s maximum acceleration rate is only about 640 gravities and 2,000,000 tons of pods would be somewhere in excess of 670. I don’t really think I’ve had anybody towing that many pods without Shannon Foraker’s donkeys. A Shrike is about 20,000-22,000 tons, and it can easily tow four or five times its own mass at moderate percentages of its maximum acceleration rate without compromising its stealth capability, so 35-40 Mark 23 pods would be easy. Considerably heavier loads could be towed (assuming sufficient tractor capacity). Can you give me textev where I have them towing numbers much greater than that, under stealth, at an acceleration higher than 400 gravities? I’m not saying that I haven’t done it; only that I don’t remember doing it and that if I did, I had committed a tactical faux pas.

Kzt is probably referring to the CUMV(L)s dropped by the FSVs in SoV.

"Each of the unmanned, automated vehicles had the capability to stow up to three hundred Mark 23 flatpack missile pods,"

Two LACs were with two of those things, I think. I'm confused by the arrangements myself - it mentions that those CUMVs have separate propulsion units, but doesn't explictly state they were used.
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:07 am

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

munroburton wrote:
"Each of the unmanned, automated vehicles had the capability to stow up to three hundred Mark 23 flatpack missile pods,"

Oh hey, I was wondering why they didn't have missile carrying drones. I totally missed that line.

Other pills that were hard to swallow... Hmm...

Its been a while, and I might be totally misremembering, but the Grayson skewed gender thing. If I remember correctly, Allison thought the reason was a recessive X-linked trait that caused spontaneous abortions. Now that would produced a higher rate of male births than female births. Except it would evolve out pretty quickly, unless it provided some other large benefit (or other weirdness). Furthermore, if ALL women were carriers and no men were and you had 100% penetrance you'd only get a 2 to 1 ratio. Getting a three to one ratio would require some women or men be homozygous for the trait, and therefore less than 100% penetrance (or other weirdness).

Then if I remember Allison had a solution that would wipe that gene out of the gene pool for new kids by getting rid of eggs with the trait. But that's a really bad if it provides some other large benefit. Its also a really bad idea if some people women are homozygous for said trait. Finally, if there is other weirdness you really don't want to go mucking about until you understand it!

Of course, if I remember correctly the Grayson people were skeptical and some women were worried it would make them sterile. And then that story thread never progressed again, which would be totally consistent with a scientist thinking they have a wonderful breakthrough, telling everyone about it in their excitement and then the breakthrough not panning out like they thought, which in reality is what usually happens when you first hear about a cool new bleeding edge medical breakthrough.

Of course, maybe I remembered something wrong.

You know, I had a point and then it wandered off...

DRONES!

The relative derth of armed drones was a head scratcher until I saw this super cool unmanned pop tow thing.

So I thought I had a bottle in my medicine cabinet and then it turns out I didn't and I have another bottle, but I'm not sure if I actually need to take it.
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:24 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Duckk wrote:Post from David, there's something weird where he couldn't respond:

SNIP

Is this issue with power cords about why every square centimeter of every Manticoran warship isn't covered with pods 24/7? :roll:

Honorverse captains aren’t going to cover their hulls in pods and just leave them there for several reasons, including the fact that they probably won’t need them and also including the fact if they stay on the hull of the ship too long they stop working.

SNIP

I really appreciate all this extra info! Having said that I tend to go for the story rather than technical consistancy!! :-)

However, didn't the Andermanii mount pods on the outside of some of their BC's?
Post by Vince   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:56 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

munroburton wrote:
Duckk wrote:And I don’t recall off the top of my head – not saying there wasn’t one, just that I don’t recall it — an instance in which a Shrike towed 2,000,000 tons of pods at 700 gravities. A Shrike’s maximum acceleration rate is only about 640 gravities and 2,000,000 tons of pods would be somewhere in excess of 670. I don’t really think I’ve had anybody towing that many pods without Shannon Foraker’s donkeys. A Shrike is about 20,000-22,000 tons, and it can easily tow four or five times its own mass at moderate percentages of its maximum acceleration rate without compromising its stealth capability, so 35-40 Mark 23 pods would be easy. Considerably heavier loads could be towed (assuming sufficient tractor capacity). Can you give me textev where I have them towing numbers much greater than that, under stealth, at an acceleration higher than 400 gravities? I’m not saying that I haven’t done it; only that I don’t remember doing it and that if I did, I had committed a tactical faux pas.

Kzt is probably referring to the CUMV(L)s dropped by the FSVs in SoV.

Two LACs were with two of those things, I think. I'm confused by the arrangements myself - it mentions that those CUMVs have separate propulsion units, but doesn't explictly state they were used.

And previously David had said that a Shrike had only limited towing capacity (using its onboard tractors) without severe degradation of their acceleration and stealth capabilities at the Baen FAQ, (David Weber on Shrikes) web page prior to the publication* of Echoes of Honor. Here's the relevant portion, with the Shrike's pod towing capability in boldface and underlined:
On 3/13/98 7:50:44 AM, Scott Washburn wrote:

Andrew, On the targeting issue, I think you are overlooking how big space is and how much acceleration these ships have to work with. In a ten second time span a ship could be dozens, hundreds or even thousands of kilometers away from where its "predicted course" would have put it if it had not changed course. No "canister blast" of energy shots over a wide area is going to have much luck hitting anything. As for the wall of battle - true its maneuverability is somewhat restricted but even a very tight wall is still mostly empty space.

David wrote:FTL energy weapons, hey? I don't think so . . . unless somebody can figure out how to create a hyper space fold to zap the weapon through, sort of like DAHAK's fold-space coms. Of course, the Imperium had tech just a LITTLE more advanced than HH's.

On the long-range energy weapon targeting question, I really hate to point this out, but they don't even have to change course randomly to screw you up at really extended ranges. All they have to do is roll ship at unpredictable intervals, since no energy weapon can penetrate an impeller wedge. And a wall of battle can do that without undue difficulty if they are well trained and drilled. For that matter, individual ships within the wall could roll ship AS individuals rather than attempting to roll the entire wall at once, which would REALLY confuse your sensors at that sort of extended range. Since SOMEONE would be shooting at you the entire time, it would be extremely difficult (aka, impossible) to tell which ship was in what attitude at any given moment.

But it would be a nice thing to have if it were possible to make it work. David

I thought about it for a while and finally decided to go ahead and post the basic stats for the new SHRIKE-class LACs of the RMN. These are discussed in ECHOES OF HONOR, where (hint, hint) you will also get to see them in action for the first time. I don't plan to discuss their tactical doctrine or combat debut with any specificity, because I don't want to inadvertently give up any spoilers for what happens in the book, but I'm sure you uninhibited bunch of speculators can have fun playing with the new class all on your own.

The SHRIKE-class masses 20,000 metric tons, is 115 meters in length, with a maximum beam of 19.2 meters, and does NOT have the conventional warship hammerheads. It carries a crew of only 10: CO, XO, astrogator, tac officer, engineer, assistant engineer, helmsman, sensor officer, com officer, & electronic warfare specialist. It has NO broadside armament OR point defense.

The SHRIKE's main armament is a spinal graser mount (equivalent to a main battery weapon from one of the HOMER-class BCs), 4 "revolver" launchers for shipkiller missiles, and 4 counter-missile tubes, supported by 6 point defense laser clusters mounted around the graser emitter. The missile tubes are in blisters mounted aft of the forward impeller ring, aligned to fire between the nodes, which is the reason the normal hammerhead was Omitted: to clear the tubes' field of fire. Because of advances in mass drivers, missile on-board electronics, and shipboard fire control, coupled with the tubes' placement aft of the forward ring, a SHRIKE can fire attack missiles OR point defense missiles at angles of up to 120 degrees "off bore". The SHRIKE's shipkillers are equivalent to those carried by CLs or DDs, and each revolver magazine carries 5 missiles (total of 20 anti-shipping missiles carried internally), while the counter-missile magazine contains 52 missiles. With their new compensators, the SHRIKES can attain accelerations of 636 G at max military power, or 508.8 G at the normal "80% of military power" maximum rating of the RMN.

The SHRIKEs are also the first class to be fitted with the new "beta-squared" impeller nodes. These are MUCH more powerful than older beta nodes, reducing the required number of nodes from 16 per impeller ring to only 8. (They are more massive than the old beta nodes, but only by 15%-20%, and the mass saved is one reason the new ships are able to fit in internal magazines.) The mass savings also permit much more powerful sidewall generators, and the efficiency of the SHRIKEs' sidewalls is roughly equivalent to that of many older CAs, though not to that of the most recent ships of that type.

In addition, one of the LACs biggest problems has always been limited endurance; they simply do not have the bunker space for fusion reactor hydrogen for more than a few weeks' cruising. The SHRIKEs, however, borrowing another element from the Grayson tech bag, are built around high efficiency, very lightweight FISSION reactors, which means their endurance is now limited only by their environmental support.

On the electronics front, the new LACs have EW (and especially ECM) capabilities superior to most light cruisers. Coupled with their much smaller impeller signatures, which are already much less readily detectable than a DD's, that makes them far more stealthy than any other warship yet built. A SHRIKE mounts 3 tractors, which means it can tow up to 3 missile pods, but only with severe degradation of its acceleration curve. A SHRIKE with a single pod suffers a 20% reduction in accel; one with 2 pods suffers a 50% reduction; and one with 3 pods suffers an 80% reduction (max military power accel of only 127.2 gees). In addition, even a single pod on tow requires drive power levels which make stealth very difficult even with all the EW built into the new class.

The SHRIKE also mounts the new Phase Four FTL com. The P4 Com pulse repetition rate per beta node increase from one roughly every 93 seconds to one about every 9.5 seconds AND the new com is able to use separate beta nodes to generate separate pulses—that is, it has a total of 16 pulse generators, which means it can translate one pulse roughly every .594 seconds, with obvious advantages in increased data transmission rates. (Like by a factor of about 15657% over the Phase One com.)

Finally, the SHRIKE can do something no other warship can: it generates a BOW sidewall (already dubbed the "bow wall"). This is not as foolish as it sounds, despite the fact that it is well known that the forward and after aspects of an impeller wedge cannot be closed if the drive is to function. The trick is that one CAN close the bow aspect of a wedge so long as one is willing to accept that the wedge cannot then be used to accelerate or maneuver the vessel. That is, once the bow wall goes up, the LAC is limited to vector changes attainable with pure reaction thrusters until the bow wall comes down again. The bow wall contains only a single firing port—for the graser—which means that no missiles, offensive or defensive, may be fired while the bow wall is up. However, it is an IMMENSELY powerful bow wall—much more powerful than the sidewalls—and offers hostile units a very, very small, VERY "hardened" target.

The SHRIKE's biggest weakness, aside from its fragility, is that its sensor suite and on-board computer support, while probably at least as good as anything the Peeps currently possess, are simply too cramped for space to be up to the standards of heavier Manty units. A SHRIKE's sensors and fire control can be considered roughly equivalent to those of an RMN DD/CL, but are considerably inferior to those of any heavier units.

I won't go into any detail about squadron organization, wing size, the design of prototype carriers, etc., although these have been worked out for the novel. I figure this ought to be enough for you people to play with for the moment.

But I WILL tell you the name of the officer selected to run Project Anzio and test the feasibility of the LAC-carrier concept. You've met her before: Captain (SG) Alice Truman.

Enjoy

— David

* Since this information was given out prior to publication of Echoes of Honor, it may have been superseded in David's private Honorverse tech bible when Echoes of Honor was published, or it simply may be outdated with the currently in service newer models of the Shrike and Shrike derived LACs.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Duckk wrote:And I don’t recall off the top of my head – not saying there wasn’t one, just that I don’t recall it — an instance in which a Shrike towed 2,000,000 tons of pods at 700 gravities. A Shrike’s maximum acceleration rate is only about 640 gravities and 2,000,000 tons of pods would be somewhere in excess of 670.

This gives another question - Why does a Shrike only have an accel of 640 Gs when a Sag-C has a max aceel of ~740 and an SD that of of ~610?
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Eagleeye   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:50 pm

Eagleeye
Commodore

Theemile wrote:
Duckk wrote:And I don’t recall off the top of my head – not saying there wasn’t one, just that I don’t recall it — an instance in which a Shrike towed 2,000,000 tons of pods at 700 gravities. A Shrike’s maximum acceleration rate is only about 640 gravities and 2,000,000 tons of pods would be somewhere in excess of 670.

This gives another question - Why does a Shrike only have an accel of 640 Gs when a Sag-C has a max aceel of ~740 and an SD that of of ~610?

I think, 640g was the accel of a Shrike-1 in the 2nd battle of Hancock. That battle is around ... oh, 10 or 12 years or so (?) in the past, and if one thing is for sure, it is that neither Manticores nor Graysons R&D have put their thumbs into their collective a**es in these years. So, if a Sag-C can accelerate with 740g, you can bet that a current-generation-Shrike or Ferret can accel with (at least) 950g; maybe even more as 1,000g
Post by Theemile   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:06 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Eagleeye wrote:
Theemile wrote:

I think, 640g was the accel of a Shrike-1 in the 2nd battle of Hancock. That battle is around ... oh, 10 or 12 years or so (?) in the past, and if one thing is for sure, it is that neither Manticores nor Graysons R&D have put their thumbs into their collective a**es in these years. So, if a Sag-C can accelerate with 740g, you can bet that a current-generation-Shrike or Ferret can accel with (at least) 950g; maybe even more as 1,000g

The current 147% accel curve should put a new Shrike in the 825-850 range. However I'm responding to David/Duckk who just said 640 Gs for a Shrike. They must have been updated, right?
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by kzt   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:03 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

We'll I'll agree there are enough problems with storing pods on the hull. It was just previously stated the issue was reactor duration.

But I will ask how a DD or other ship without a pod bay is supposed to power up a pod reactor. Do they have to drop the wedge and maneuver it to dock it on the boat bay where they power up recon drone reactors?

Also not giving up thinking the the towing of roughly a SD(P) pod core by a LAC seems kind of crazyland.

Return to Honorverse