Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 38 guests

Am I a chauvinist

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Am I a chauvinist
Post by TangoLima   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:04 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

For me the female characters in the series feel more
real than the males. Alfred, Benjamin & McDallan are
more the exception than the rule.
I know we all read our own version of the books.
Perhaps this is just my perception.
Does anyone else feel this way ?

BTW I am a male
Re: Am I a chauvinist
Post by Nyssa   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:02 am

Nyssa
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

IMHO major characters are more fleshed out, more real. Tourville, Terakov, Giscard, Scotty, for instance, seem reasonably real.
Post by cthia   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:15 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

TangoLima wrote:For me the female characters in the series feel more

BTW I am a male
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you are male.

If I am correct up to that point, then it could be your natural genetic predilection and predisposition. Women naturally seem more real to men, than men. LOL

And, if it's any consolation, one of my uncles has often told my sisters "It is alright to be a chauvinist, as long as you're not a pig." :roll:

He's a real character, a true chauvinist, but loveable.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:20 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

BTW I am a male

If I am correct up to that point, then it could be your natural genetic predilection and predisposition. Women naturally seem more real to men, than men. LOL

And, if it's any consolation, one of my uncles has often told my sisters "It is alright to be a chauvinist, as long as you're not a pig." :roll:

Not more important, Cthia, more pertinent to anything 97% of males spends a majority of his time considering.
Post by cthia   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:48 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

BTW I am a male

PeterZ wrote:Not more important, Cthia, more pertinent to anything 97% of males spends a majority of his time considering.

And the other 3 % with. LOL

I must admit, women feel more real when I feel them too.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:14 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

To be fair to TangoLima, I do believe that women are given the juicier parts, for the most part, in the series. Honor, Eloise, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Berry. Cathy Montaigne, that copper-plated Ransom, Abigail Hearns as the first gray son, etc.

They are just given the juicier parts in the play. Therefore, the more developed characters. Pavel Young was highly developed, because he was an antagonist. Victor has songs and poems written about him. Giscard was as well, because he played a very important part. Courvosier. Benjamin. But their parts were secondary to the women, as overall top billing. Magnified by that predilection thing. IMO.

Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:32 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:To be fair to TangoLima, I do believe that women are given the juicier parts, for the most part, in the series. Honor, Eloise, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Berry. Cathy Montaigne, that copper-plated Ransom, Abigail Hearns as the first gray son, etc.

They are just given the juicier parts in the play. Therefore, the more developed characters. Pavel Young was highly developed, because he was an antagonist. Victor has songs and poems written about him. Giscard was as well, because he played a very important part. Courvosier. Benjamin. But their parts were secondary to the women, as overall top billing. Magnified by that predilection thing. IMO.

A lot of it depends on the book. There's a whole series that really features Victor and Anton. Most of the other characters pale somewhat. Let's face it: Berry is mostly sweet, cute and very sane. Thandi is really tough and a bit kinky. They are nicely written but the focus is heavily on the two men. They are the protagonists.

As for the Shadow line, Terekhov has quite a bit of fleshing out as has Countess Gold Peak.

It depends on the story. Actually, Eloise is fairly recent as a major character...I don't think she was in the first half dozen books. And Elizabeth only became more central as she became closer to Honor.

Yes, RFC writes great women characters. But the men are pretty damn good as well.
Post by Nyssa   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:07 pm

Nyssa
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Umm, just thought I'd point out that Eric Flint created Victor and Anton (as we know him).
Post by kzt   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:24 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

It's an interesting change from say Charles Stross, who in "The Annihilation Score" revealed to the world he had no ability to write a convincing female character.
Post by TangoLima   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:49 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

I will admit we got a little more inside Lester in SoV.

Return to Honorverse