Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 43 guests

SL Diplomacy

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: SL Diplomacy
Post by n7axw   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:09 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Actually it is the GA that can't afford to negotiate at this point. The Alliance must bring the League down. Not conquest, but drive the wedge in those fissures that were observed to be there when the Harrington doctrine was formulated. The object is to break up the League to form political units small enough not to threaten the security of the whole galaxy, Manticore in particular. What is happening in the Mayan sector is what Manticore visualizes for the whole League.

Having the League in its current form given peace and the time to correct its current tech imbalance would e very, very dangerous to everybody.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by kaid   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:56 pm

kaid
Lieutenant Commander

TangoLima wrote:Considering the Manderins textev it is noy likely to happen.
There is a slight chance of interaction with the
Andermani.
I think the Andermani will either stay neutral & trade
aligned. I hope they join the GA.

I believe the plan was for them to remain neutral to better keep their powder try and hunt for the MA. Although with manticore and haven teaming up that may change that going forward but for the time being I believe intentional neutrality to let the andies hunt was the plan.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:48 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

kaid wrote:
TangoLima wrote:Considering the Manderins textev it is noy likely to happen.
There is a slight chance of interaction with the
Andermani.
I think the Andermani will either stay neutral & trade
aligned. I hope they join the GA.

I believe the plan was for them to remain neutral to better keep their powder try and hunt for the MA. Although with manticore and haven teaming up that may change that going forward but for the time being I believe intentional neutrality to let the andies hunt was the plan.

This and possibly be a neutral go-between with the League...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by phillies   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:06 am

phillies
Admiral

The objective of the Diplomacy goes no farther than reducing the size of the opposition. Whether or not it succeeds does not matter to whether or not the Solarian League should try. After all, at one time the League was helping Haven; they might have some favors they can call in or at least think they can call in.
Post by saber964   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:21 pm

saber964
Admiral

Theemile wrote:
n7axw wrote:
Dunno... As to whether the Austrians were more incompetent than pre 1917 Czarists would have been a very near run thing...

Don

-

I found an interesting photo some years back, of a group of young boys, all cousins, vacationing in the late 1800s in the Alps. Three of these youngsters went on to be King or England, Kaiser of Germany, and Tzar of Russia by 1912. All the leaders of the European countries were closely related and knew each other. It's no wonder they were all idiots leading their countries to slaughter.

That's kinda Duh moment, what it boils down to is WWI was a family argument writ large.
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:55 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:...After all, at one time the League was helping Haven; ...

The League wasn't helping Haven, individual arms merchant and transtellar corporations were helping Haven with Solarian tech. The League doesn't have any favors to call in; they may even have a negative to overcome in that the League government banned technology transfers to both combatants.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by phillies   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:10 pm

phillies
Admiral

Yes, the League has to use those merchants and transtellar corporations to make the appeal.

Weird Harold wrote:
phillies wrote:...After all, at one time the League was helping Haven; ...

The League wasn't helping Haven, individual arms merchant and transtellar corporations were helping Haven with Solarian tech. The League doesn't have any favors to call in; they may even have a negative to overcome in that the League government banned technology transfers to both combatants.
Post by pappilon   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:47 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

[quote="phillies"]Yes, the League has to use those merchants and transtellar corporations to make the appeal.

Yes, the best thing for The mandarins to do is to contact the Andermani as an intermediary to quit assuming what Manticore wants to end this thing. Unfortunately everyone is way past that point...except The Mandarins. The real show[down] is with the MAlignment, getting the SL out of the way for the main event is the focus. remember this is not a two ring circus, but a three ring one. And only the SL thinks it is a two ring one. The goal the Ga and RF/MAlign both share is the fracturing of the SL. The Malign wants to fracture the SL, create a sense of impending chaos ans swoop in as the harbor in the storm. The GA just wnts to fracture the league and make friends of the individual pieces as they coalesce.

The SL, as has been eloquently stated by others here, is the 600 lb canary. There are no viable 3rd parties out there to appeal to as allies. Nobody likes the league except, possibly, the league members. The shell doesn't like the core because the league's economy is run for the benefit of the core worlds, at the expense of the shell, the Verge/Protectorates is a bunch of plants basically too poor to buy a pot to piss in, lacking a window to throw it out of due to OFS & transplanetary corporate greed. Then there are the worlds too far out to be gobbled upby OFS lke manticore, The Anderman Empire, Haven the former Silesia, etc. it has nev er wanted/needed allies. It is far too arrogant to seek them or expect anyone to be positively inclined toward it (See Talbot Sector)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

pappilon wrote:
The SL, as has been eloquently stated by others here, is the 600 lb canary. There are no viable 3rd parties out there to appeal to as allies. )

There are at least Asgard Assotiation and Midgard Federation, and probably some other powers. As far as I knew, Asgard was considered at some point strong enough to at least worry the Andermanni (not exactly as dangerous enemy, more likely as barrier to Andermanni expansion, too big to ignore).

By themselves, those star nations probably aren't much problem, but unified and backed by League... As I stated above, independent star nations have a lot of reason to consider GA as MUCH more danger than Solarian League. For smaller nations, its "well-known imperialists of Haven, Manticora and Andermanni decided to enslave all Galaxy".

Of course, it would work that way only in plain old real world... :)
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:32 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Negotiating with Manticore is out.

Fool me once shame on you. (Pierre ceasefire) Fool me twice shame on me. Beth would shit bricks, chickens and eggs.

There was a time when the League may have been able to coerce the desperate Peeps into taking the tainted bait with a huge string attached, back under the Robeson regime. They were already in bed together. What was one more bigger orgy?

Though I can't exactly imagine Robeson Pierre being even stupider than High Ridge.

As a matter of fact, I think I recall textev by Pierre to that effect. Something akin to it being "just business."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse