Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests

SL Diplomacy

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
SL Diplomacy
Post by phillies   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:20 pm

phillies
Admiral

Of course, the SL has not had a lot of practice with diplomacy beyond the obey or die approach, but they could *try*.

For example, diplomatic missions to Haven and Andermann, making generous offers to each if Haven or Andermann will agree to be neutral.

An offer to Manticore ("the barbarians are crazy but we could try being nice") claiming that the large attack was a private scheme by Rajampet, not authorized, and alas he committed suicide out of shame when he realized what an evil thing he did, and by the way we will pay reparations for all the things he blew up). Oh, yes, and we will forma commission to investigate your claims of an interstellar conspiracy.
Re: SL Diplomacy
Post by TangoLima   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:28 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

Considering the Manderins textev it is noy likely to happen.
There is a slight chance of interaction with the
Andermani.
I think the Andermani will either stay neutral & trade
aligned. I hope they join the GA.
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:31 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:Of course, the SL has not had a lot of practice with diplomacy beyond the obey or die approach, but they could *try*.

For example, diplomatic missions to Haven and Andermann, making generous offers to each if Haven or Andermann will agree to be neutral.

An offer to Manticore ("the barbarians are crazy but we could try being nice") claiming that the large attack was a private scheme by Rajampet, not authorized, and alas he committed suicide out of shame when he realized what an evil thing he did, and by the way we will pay reparations for all the things he blew up). Oh, yes, and we will forma commission to investigate your claims of an interstellar conspiracy.

To achieve what exactly? A ceasefire? Time for them to get back on balance? Allow them to pull a Robeson Pierre?

Besides, the Mandarins admitting to being duped? Admitting to the charges of the barbarians? Admitting to a hidden faction that has permeated their government at the highest levels? I don't see it happening, but I suggested quite some time ago that they do this very thing -- to stall for time. Which I think would be smart of them if they could pull it off. Let's call it "The Pierre Maneuver" that Beth so loathed!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by phillies   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:37 pm

phillies
Admiral

TangoLima wrote:Considering the Manderins textev it is noy likely to happen.
There is a slight chance of interaction with the
Andermani.
I think the Andermani will either stay neutral & trade
aligned. I hope they join the GA.

I agree it would take an outbreak of intelligence.
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:41 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Besides, if Haven went back on their adoption of the alliance, it would certainly seem to Be—

... allow me Beth...

"Those phucking traitors! A leopards' spots are forever!"

This is headed down the same path as to why I think Eloise remaining alive is quintessential to the Haven-Manticore side of the alliance.

Besides, both Haven and Andermani knows that a risen League will be back to its old tricks faster than a Streak Boat. And this time, there won't be any stopping them.

Stick a fork in her while she's near done.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dilandu   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:00 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Simply speaking - the League could not do that without losing all remaining moral superioriyy. Too much blood were spilled, and, frankly, Manties were pretty much arrogant in dealing with League, too.

Basically, for the League point of view, they are protecting the whole order of interstellar civilization. It wasn't perfect, but it worked for a long, long time, and even now the idea of League-centric civilization collapse is... terrifying. With all optimism of GA, they aren't sure, that they could do a League job better than League (especially considering that they are coalition, not the single entity), and they clearly understood that the prolonged period of chaos is inevitable.

Basically the only way the League could now veer off, is if there would be absolute evidience of Mesan involvement revealed. Short of SLN accidently stumbling upon Darius, its hard to imagine what evidence could be that powerfull.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Rednek731   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:04 pm

Rednek731
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

This conversation makes me wonder... what are the chances that the SL will try to "convince" other nations to back them up? This is of course ignoring how unlikely that is to succeed, but still they could be desperate enough to try.
Post by Dilandu   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:10 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Rednek731 wrote:This conversation makes me wonder... what are the chances that the SL will try to "convince" other nations to back them up? This is of course ignoring how unlikely that is to succeed, but still they could be desperate enough to try.

Considering that historically no one liked the attempts to destroy the old order? Probably much more than you think. For the main Galaxy point of view, the League was still the main source of order. And, frankly, all members of GA are well-known for expansionistic imperialism. Manties, Haven, Andermanni... considering that just recently Manties and Andermanni teared apart the Silesia ("for their own good, of course!" - said Belgians, when they desolated Kongo), nearly any other star system would be in fear of being next victim. And the imperialism of GA is not slow, creeping expansion of the League - it is XIX-century "grab as fast as you could" style.

Post by Rednek731   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:24 pm

Rednek731
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Dilandu wrote:
Rednek731 wrote:This conversation makes me wonder... what are the chances that the SL will try to "convince" other nations to back them up? This is of course ignoring how unlikely that is to succeed, but still they could be desperate enough to try.

Considering that historically no one liked the attempts to destroy the old order? Probably much more than you think. For the main Galaxy point of view, the League was still the main source of order. And, frankly, all members of GA are well-known for expansionistic imperialism. Manties, Haven, Andermanni... considering that just recently Manties and Andermanni teared apart the Silesia ("for their own good, of course!" - said Belgians, when they desolated Kongo), nearly any other star system would be in fear of being next victim. And the imperialism of GA is not slow, creeping expansion of the League - it is XIX-century "grab as fast as you could" style.

Better the devil you know but still scares you than the devil you don't know but scares you even more, right?
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:25 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Rednek731 wrote:Better the devil you know but still scares you than the devil you don't know but scares you even more, right?

Basically. Especially if the second ones is actually a loose alliance of three devils, each with its own agenda, and each known for willingness to interfer with affairs of independent star systems.

Return to Honorverse