Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 42 guests

Who will die

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Who will die
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:42 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:[The issue may be, based on the last snippet released, that the Detweilers decide they want some revenge immediately and thereby give clues as to their existence.

Most of the people mentioned are too well protected. They are on planets that are well-defended. We are seeing the collapse of the League.

More likely an unnatural death (remember that Benjamin is aging) would be far likelier on a warship. And it makes more sense in the long run for a death of someone older because the young ones are the seed corn for the next arc. Abigail, Helen, Paolo, etc. would be captains when Raoul starts his career and would help anchor the first book. A captain like Scotty would be an admiral. But some of the older leaders would be retired and not in the picture.

Of, course RFC likes to play games with expectations.

Just one word: Weaponized nanotech. Think the 600# cousin of the suicide nanite. Easy [translate undetectable] to slip into any system past any guards and drop into anybody's food supply. Textev Rampajet eats nano laced yogurt.

Oh yeah and it screams "Black Victor was right, we jumped Mesa and are alive and doing well." Yet gets no one no closer to where the stinkin' fleein' rats landed.[/quote]

Too easy plotwise. This is not where the evil villain can do whatever he wants. It's hard to get to someone who's in space and it is a boring death. You know, been there, done that.

I think DW hss thought long and hard about who dies. If he's serious about another arc, he might wonder who should be alive for that. Emily would be a sentimental but obvious choice. Would she have another 20 years? Mike Henke, though some dirty trick might also be a target. But the basic plans seem to focus more on Sollies pushing at the weak. And chances are, getting smashed for it.
Post by pappilon   » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:21 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
Too easy plotwise. This is not where the evil villain can do whatever he wants. It's hard to get to someone who's in space and it is a boring death. You know, been there, done that.

I think DW hss thought long and hard about who dies. If he's serious about another arc, he might wonder who should be alive for that. Emily would be a sentimental but obvious choice. Would she have another 20 years? Mike Henke, though some dirty trick might also be a target. But the basic plans seem to focus more on Sollies pushing at the weak. And chances are, getting smashed for it.

All good and perfectly valid points. One would, however, be wise to consider the axiom that prophesy is an inexact science at best. That we can never understand the prophesy until it actually occurs.

I would not base my estimate of the plot of the book based on a few snippets. I loved Bab 5, dark Matter, et al where they told what would happen yet how the plot got there was totally unforseen.

Besides, I'm just having fun with the whatif. Honor was slated to meet her maker way back a dozen or so books back. Granted taking her off the board now, and taking Emily too would put way too much on poor Hamish, and be entirely anticlimactic.

Seems Filareta and Crandall got quite handily taken off the board in the comfort of their own flag bridges in outer space, quite unboringly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by kzt   » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:27 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

He's mentioned that sometimes it just works out the way it does due to the logic of the story.
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:59 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:

All good and perfectly valid points. One would, however, be wise to consider the axiom that prophesy is an inexact science at best. That we can never understand the prophesy until it actually occurs.

I would not base my estimate of the plot of the book based on a few snippets. I loved Bab 5, dark Matter, et al where they told what would happen yet how the plot got there was totally unforseen.

Besides, I'm just having fun with the whatif. Honor was slated to meet her maker way back a dozen or so books back. Granted taking her off the board now, and taking Emily too would put way too much on poor Hamish, and be entirely anticlimactic.

Seems Filareta and Crandall got quite handily taken off the board in the comfort of their own flag bridges in outer space, quite unboringly.

Note that both admirals were in space at the time. And, yes, admirals get killed. But it does not happen all that often. Crandall was an idiot and her ship was specifically targeted.
Filareta was the victim of sabotage.

I don't think Honor will die because there is no real need to have her die. Yes, it would follow the script of Horatio Nelson but we've already departed that.

RFC has to think about the next book. Yes, a different arc but it is good to have some characters to hang on to. Note that the first of the new sequels to Star Wars had Han and Leia there. And Star Trek managed a couple of meetings.

Honor could be a background character. Plus, it could still be advertised as an Honorverse book. And for me, the real fun would be knowing what happened to so many of my favorite characters.
Will Abigail survive and marry? What will Berry's kids be like?
Will Scotty become First Space Lord? And so on.

And you all know that you'd like to know as well.
Post by pappilon   » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:42 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:Note that both admirals were in space at the time. And, yes, admirals get killed. But it does not happen all that often. Crandall was an idiot and her ship was specifically targeted.
Filareta was the victim of sabotage.

nano, perhaps double nano attack in the case of Filareta. Crandall shot in the back of the head, with her own pulser, and nobody on her bridge saw nothing, not a case of death by Manty Missile.

ldwechsler wrote:I don't think Honor will die because there is no real need to have her die. Yes, it would follow the script of Horatio Nelson but we've already departed that.

RFC has to think about the next book. Yes, a different arc but it is good to have some characters to hang on to. Note that the first of the new sequels to Star Wars had Han and Leia there. And Star Trek managed a couple of meetings.

Honor could be a background character. Plus, it could still be advertised as an Honorverse book. And for me, the real fun would be knowing what happened to so many of my favorite characters.

Honor can still be a background character in Shadow of Mesa.
WWHHD?
I remember when Honor ...
'Lets be about it,' he said and several people's eyes got musty remembering where that came from.
. Crandall abd Byng are still in this one despite their unlamented demises.

ldwechsler wrote:Will Abigail survive and marry? What will Berry's kids be like?
Will Scotty become First Space Lord? And so on.

And you all know that you'd like to know as well.

Sure. Start that thread, I'll post my thoughts and dreams. Unfortunately, this thread is "Who will die."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Honorverse