Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fireflair and 35 guests

Uncompromising Honor, Snippet #3

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising Honor, Snippet #3
Post by cthia   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:16 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:You've gotta love this. This is a schoolyard bully realizing that he can no longer bully his favorite victim (who mysteriously grew 2 feet over the summer vacation and is now bullying him.) nor can he continue to bully his intended victim's friends (who also seems to have grown over summer break and can easily hold him down so Victim #1 can beat on him.)

For some reason, he has realized that the only way to terrorize his targets is to find one of the victim's asthmatic little brother in middle school, and pick on him, hoping that will send a message to everyone involved and put everything back in it's "proper place" with him as head bully.

yeah.... that is going to work great....

Who could have said it any better. None. Kudos Theemile. They established the

BULLIES Я US

franchise with Frontier Fleet as their puppet managers.

Last edited by cthia on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by TangoLima   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:20 am

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

I have noticed that the SLN is mainly focused on
Maticore as the enemy,
When will the news of the GA reach the SLN ?
Post by Theemile   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:24 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

You know, this answers a previous question, The "Buccaneer" operational name most likely is a reference to the FF secret "Case Buccaneer", where the FF ships attack a neutral 3rd party acting like pirates. More of the same bully BS mentality.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Theemile   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:31 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

TangoLima wrote:I have noticed that the SLN is mainly focused on
Maticore as the enemy,
When will the news of the GA reach the SLN ?

Anyone in the know critically looking at what happened to Filaretta SHOULD have noticed the Havenite and Grayson formations mousetrapping him. Since they know what happened to Filaretta in this snippet, they should know about the GA.

But, as always, SL news and naval communications are sanitized for someone's protection.

Side thought - is the Sollie version of prophylactics ear plugs and a blindfold?
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by filbert   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:33 am

filbert
Lieutenant Commander

A number of immediate reactions to the snippet:

1) Does the SLN have an accurate order of battle for the GA? Somehow I think any estimate they have of total naval power of the GA is wildly low.

2) We need a new adjective for the Invincible Solarian League Navy. I nominate "Myopic" as in "The Myopic Solarian League Navy," since they quite obviously can't see anything that's not right in front of their eyes.

3) What is the probable response to the SLN's strategy of other Core worlds who are either strongly aligned with Beowulf, or even mildly inclined that way?

4) How predictable will the GA find the SLN's target list, and what happens when they guess right?

5) Would not a reasonable response on the part of the GA to the SLN strong-arming strategy be a systematic reduction of all SLN bases, depots, and any SL resources which directly support the SLN? Is this what spurs Honor to (apparently) have a face-to-face with Kingsford?

6) Technodyne is toast (see #5).

7) What if one of the systems on the SLN's target list happens to be one of the member systems of the RA? (Comedy would undoubtedly ensue.)

8) What's going to be the reaction within the Core SL itself when the people hear that the SLN is attacking neutral worlds? (Even giving a propaganda advantage to the SL gov't.)

EARC! EARC! EARC!
Post by robert132   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:01 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:*SNIP *

BUT! I knew... knew... that something had to be amiss with the SLN's strategy of dispersing RMN forces. This snippet represents the other shoe dropping...

Here's the thing. The RHN used the same tactic of causing the RMN to spread their forces.

*SNIP*

If I understand what I read correctly, this isn't at all about forcing the RMN or GA as a whole to disperse their forces to try to protect weak points.

This is as was pointed out in the snippet a Terror Campaign targeted against ANYONE who might be thinking about joining or supporting the GA or simply be thinking about staying "neutral" in the coming conflict.

The SLN strategic planners are refusing to accept the concept of neutrality. As GW Bush said after 9/11 "You're either WITH us or AGAINST us" except in this case the threat isn't implied, it's bloody real.

What I don't see though is confirmation of my suspicion that the SLN will consider itself exempt from the Eridani Edict. If it does then the habitable worlds and populated space infrastructure of the Cachalot system are going to have a very bad day.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by cthia   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

robert132 wrote:
cthia wrote:*SNIP *

BUT! I knew... knew... that something had to be amiss with the SLN's strategy of dispersing RMN forces. This snippet represents the other shoe dropping...

Here's the thing. The RHN used the same tactic of causing the RMN to spread their forces.

*SNIP*

If I understand what I read correctly, this isn't at all about forcing the RMN or GA as a whole to disperse their forces to try to protect weak points.

This is as was pointed out in the snippet a Terror Campaign targeted against ANYONE who might be thinking about joining or supporting the GA or simply be thinking about staying "neutral" in the coming conflict.

The SLN strategic planners are refusing to accept the concept of neutrality. As GW Bush said after 9/11 "You're either WITH us or AGAINST us" except in this case the threat isn't implied, it's bloody real.

What I don't see though is confirmation of my suspicion that the SLN will consider itself exempt from the Eridani Edict. If it does then the habitable worlds and populated space infrastructure of the Cachalot system are going to have a very bad day.

Which is my point. I was saying that I wasn't exactly reeled in by the previous "dispersal only" claims hook—and sinker. Dispersing forces wouldn't necessarily help them as it would the Peeps, a navy that was ~ equal to them. A navy that could capitalize off of the dispersal. I knew there had to be another shoe the SLN hadn't dropped yet. Though their laces aren't properly tied.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by JohnRoth   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:30 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Please remember that the idea to do commerce raiding and similar nastiness came from a MAlign plant, one Captain (now Rear Admiral) Gweon. Operation Buccaneer will go according to plan - just not the SL's plan.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:42 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:Please remember that the idea to do commerce raiding and similar nastiness came from a MAlign plant, one Captain (now Rear Admiral) Gweon. Operation Buccaneer will go according to plan - just not the SL's plan.

Ayup. There are two unintended side effects: 1) anyone that the SLN successfully attacks is NOT and won't be viewed as a MAlign dominated system. 2) Any system that is targeted but has extremely good fortune with regards to getting that info to the GA will be suspect.

Admiral givens has to be able to begin looking at events with the POV that much of these events are indeed staged for a purpose. Igf she doesn't, she needs to be replaced. The MAlign has proven time and time again that they do manipulate a complex set of variables to promote their strategic goals. If Givens doesn't begin considering the possibilities of just how deep they are willing to plan, the SEM is about to be hosed again when the next arc resumes the story.
Post by Brigade XO   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

So Cachalot is to become a sacrifice of an independent system to serve as a warning to anybody who is currently or thinking about trading with Manticore and Beowulf.

Can't SLN see where where this is going to bite them in the ass? Not the least of there problems is the sieve that is SLN planning and intelligence through which the information about Fillerta was passed to Beowulf. Does SLN have any idea that happend- might big indication was the RMN fleet that just happened to be waiting stealth to suppor the BSD fleet that was WAITING for the SLN fleet to move against the Sigma Daconis terminus who's commander seemed very well aquaited with what the SLN was about to do, why etc.

Actually, this sounds VERY MUCH like an Alignment plan being put into practice to 1) destroy more of the industrial base of anything in and around the SL, not just SL capasity and 2) drive other systems (in and out of the League) further from assisting the SLN in its new war.
Conduct a terror campaing to make them afraid to step out of line and seemingly do it without any warning.

It's a bit early but since Manticore, Beowulf, Erwhon, certainly Maya and perhaps to a lesser extent Haven and the Aldermani probably know where 90% of the actual SLN bases and OFS/FF logistics centers are, and a very detailed list of where the locations are can be built and acted on. It could now be prudent to go clean them out with deep raids. Leave ALL the civilian stuff alone- just kill every SLN ship and SLN orbital platform at those locations. Given the standoff range of the modern GA weapons, the GA assalt forces probably don't even have to close to the SLN's missile weapon engagement ranges. Of course, that is going to kill a lot of people, primarily SLN crew and contractors and further reduce the ability of any of the SL to hold together or compel compiance from both members and non-members alike. And the Alighment thinks this is just fine. They don't need the "normals" who are going to be relplaced anyway.

Technodyne and the Yelden (spelling?) system which essentialy a corporate manufacturing center. Just how many GA capital ships, comming out of hyper at various points around the system (and then being able to talk together with RMN FTL communications) does it take to devastate the Technodyne yards, administration facilities and, almost as an after thought, destroy every SLN warship, freighter plus all lthe Techodyne in-system and any hyper-capable ships (warships/secuirty) and lighters.
How does the SL bureaucracy like looseing perhaps 50% of your current warship and weapons. construction plus workforce and primary source of spair parts. And all that graft they were getting. You can just think of it as one less place you have to try and defend with those deathtraps you call warships.

Attacking neutrals preemptively? The GA wants to Trade, the SL demands they are going to own you.....That is going to smash them in the face.
How long before any SLN ship becomes something almost anybody is going to want to try and kill out of self preservation? The SLN is already loosing warships ships like clay pigeons get smashed at a skeet tournament.

Return to Honorverse