Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

Uncompromising Honor, Snippet #3

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising Honor, Snippet #3
Post by n7axw   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:59 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Bewildered wrote:How widespread is knowledge of the Yawata Strike? Is it largely limited to Manticore, or is it universal knowledge? Sorry it's been a while since I read the HH series and I'm a little rusty on the details. The reason I ask is if the SLN start doing scorched-earth attacks against neutrals, what is to prevent Manticore, or a third party, loading up a freighter or two with missiles, jumping to way outside detection range, then launching a heavy bombardment on a ballistic approach? Such a technique would only work on stationary targets but that includes all the infrastructure supporting the SU. True a minor player couldn't hit a major target, but revenge raids and accidental Eridani Edict violations seem plausible in light of a 'rogue' SLN, and post-Yawata universe.

Technically, nothing is stopping them other than their own integrity --morals, scruples and values. (And politics.) Holding steadfast to her integrity has always stood Elizabeth, and Manticore, in good stead. There is absolutely no reason to abandon it now, especially in light of the indomitable tech advantage.

The difference is that the SLN has found out the result of intransigence and consequence and the arrogance of resting on its laurels. Eridani violations may be their only option. The hit and run of cowards with no other recourse.

Although Manticore can deliver tit for tat, they don't have to. The RMN's tech gives them the option of a "scorched space" policy, instead of a scorched Earth.

My wager is still that Beowulf is successfully defended from attack by SLN, but suffers a bio weapons attack by the Alignment.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by JohnRoth   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:00 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:Yildun does not have any habitable planets. Everything is in orbital habitats. I suspect it might not be all that easy to separate Technodyne facilities from unassociated civilian facilities. Although, since Yildun has a major wormhole junction, I've wondered why it wasn't rolled up with Lacöon 2.

This is an excellent question, and the answer has several parts.

SNIP

Thank You! That clears up a lot.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:42 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:Given Yildun’s position — virtually on the opposite side of the entire League from Manticore — and the Yildun Junction’s relatively short “legs," it actually has lower priority on Lacoön Two’s hit list than a lot of other, single-terminus systems. That is, in terms of its strategic location, Yildun is pretty far down the RMN’s to-do list. And given the fact that Yildun's defenses — especially Cataphract pods, one might safely assume — are probably even heavier than those of the Sol System, coupled with the "logistic" concerns I talk about below, any operation against it would require major fleet support (unlike most of Lacoön Two's wormhole seizures) and be fraught both complications and the potential for (indeed, the virtual certainty of) serious moral and political downsides.

I would think that if Lacoon II ever got around to that half of the League periphery, controlling the three termini of the Yildun WHJ would suffice to isolate Technodyne's HQ from the SLN. In the meantime, taking out every Technodyne facility the run across would be just another day's work. :p

I'm sure that you've mentioned in passing that there are several other major arms suppliers in the League. IIRC, the missiles used in Operation Hasan weren't a Technodyne development.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:01 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Bewildered wrote:How widespread is knowledge of the Yawata Strike? Is it largely limited to Manticore, or is it universal knowledge? Sorry it's been a while since I read the HH series and I'm a little rusty on the details. The reason I ask is if the SLN start doing scorched-earth attacks against neutrals, what is to prevent Manticore, or a third party, loading up a freighter or two with missiles, jumping to way outside detection range, then launching a heavy bombardment on a ballistic approach? Such a technique would only work on stationary targets but that includes all the infrastructure supporting the SU. True a minor player couldn't hit a major target, but revenge raids and accidental Eridani Edict violations seem plausible in light of a 'rogue' SLN, and post-Yawata universe.

Technically, nothing is stopping them other than their own integrity --morals, scruples and values. (And politics.) Holding steadfast to her integrity has always stood Elizabeth, and Manticore, in good stead. There is absolutely no reason to abandon it now, especially in light of the indomitable tech advantage.

The difference is that the SLN has found out the result of intransigence and consequence and the arrogance of resting on its laurels. Eridani violations may be their only option. The hit and run of cowards with no other recourse.

Although Manticore can deliver tit for tat, they don't have to. The RMN's tech gives them the option of a "scorched space" policy, instead of a scorched Earth.
n7axw wrote:My wager is still that Beowulf is successfully defended from attack by SLN, but suffers a bio weapons attack by the Alignment.

Don

-

Or at least, indirect MAlign intervention. ;)

Nice call.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Jeslis   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Jeslis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

and I eliminated three or four story “strands” that would have been more important than this one in order to control length.

Any chance of a hint on what those might be? (No detail required, just a few sentences would be greatly appreciated)

I always love getting behind the scenes details on things that are cut from movies.. and it's rare that this happens with books.
Post by George J. Smith   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:42 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

phillies wrote:We are all always grateful for these interesting asides.

We all look forward to future volumes whose working titles might be Granicus, Issus, and Gaugamela (well, they are all wars with Darius, aren't they?)

As another question for a thread that likely vanished. I somehow have the impression that at some point human expansion somewhat ran out of steam, so that we have Core, Shell, and Verge systems, with the boundary within which barbarians are subject to the beneficent rule of the OFS gradually expanding, but we don't see references to efforts to expand outwards. Are these ongoing?

I think it was mentioned in one of the "Shadows" books that people emigrated multiple times to get farther away from the SL as it expanded and encompassed the planets they were on.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by saber964   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:48 pm

saber964
Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
phillies wrote:We are all always grateful for these interesting asides.

We all look forward to future volumes whose working titles might be Granicus, Issus, and Gaugamela (well, they are all wars with Darius, aren't they?)

As another question for a thread that likely vanished. I somehow have the impression that at some point human expansion somewhat ran out of steam, so that we have Core, Shell, and Verge systems, with the boundary within which barbarians are subject to the beneficent rule of the OFS gradually expanding, but we don't see references to efforts to expand outwards. Are these ongoing?

I think it was mentioned in one of the "Shadows" books that people emigrated multiple times to get farther away from the SL as it expanded and encompassed the planets they were on.

Remember the Pharris family in Fire Season and Treecat War they moved multiple times between systems.
Post by Frankjg   » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:02 pm

Frankjg
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Great work David, keep it up.

May your health and your family stay positive.

Cannot wait to read this Book in my hands. After enjoying all the snippets and possible EARC too.
Post by Bewildered   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:53 am

Bewildered
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Manticore isn't the target of the SLN's scorched-earth approach but rather bit players who can't fight fair.

And if such an act would cause an epic public backlash, perhaps that might suit the MA?

Joat42 wrote:

I can't see anyone from Manticore or the Grand Alliance doing that, those tactics are light-years removed from what Manticore and the GA stands for.

Also, from a PR standpoint they would create a public backlash of epic proportions and currently the GA doesn't need that kind of PR...
Post by Bewildered   » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:16 am

Bewildered
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Don't conflate scorched-earth with Scorched Earth. They're not the same thing! :D

A Scorched Earth campaign would entail directly targeting populated worlds for destruction. Fair enough no civilised nation would entertain that notion. A scorched-earth campaign by a minor 'neutral' would entail targeting all military and commercial infrastructure, but not the planet, at least not intentionally. Such a strike would include civilian casualties, perhaps in mass numbers, but would a minor player care when they've already been devastated? Think tramp freighters being converted by some middle-of-nowhere world whose limited infrastructure was obliterated by the SLN.

cthia wrote:

Return to Honorverse